I'm a mom to an abandoned house sparrow

OP
glutes

glutes

Feb 11, 2016
Maybe its the way Im looking at the pics as you have a towel round him in lots of them but in my estimation that little guy is not ready for a cage yet...he needs to be fully feathered before you place him in a cage...of course you can organise a play area cage for him if you think he is ready but dont leave him for too long in it as he could get cold...warmth helps the crop empty too. I wouldnt put him in the cage yet especially at night time. Put him in a box that resembles the security and warmth of his nest

When you get to ordering a cage for him I would order two...first a small cheap cage that is not tall that he can practice his wing flapping in that prepares him for the fledging stage and I would keep it simple with two perches (again not high just an inch or two from the floor of the cage where he can practice hopping from one to the other and begin his first flying lessons...you can also place a towel on the floor of the cage as you rsise the perches another inch or two when he succeeds at the lower level...the towel provides a soft landing in case he fslls off and you can add in some whiffle balls and a sprig of millet and some veggies and fruit...make the food a game for him to forage rather than leaving it in a bowl as this would be how he would spend his day in the wild. I would give him a clip on drinker to begin with thatis bottle like and has a little spout that is like a little beak size cup of water as you dont want him wetting himself by knocking over or falling into a water bowl...later you can give him a little shallow water dish to bathe in when he matures a little and moves into a larger flight cage that is longer than it is wide at least 30 18x 18( but preferably 36) nches and longer and taller if you can find it and afford it...remember that a long length of cage is way preferable to a tall cage as sparrows like to fly so he will need room. A swing or two would be good. Hanging toys and ladders too though they tend to use ladder rungs more as perches than for climbing. I ve even seen a baby finch thst enjoyed a bell but you can see what he likes as he matures and furnish his cage to his liking. Dont over clutter the cage though leave him space to fly...which is why bigger is better when thinking of a cage because you need space for items of interest to stimulate him and replicate his natural environment and space also to get a good flying stretch ...also the bar space in the cage needs to be about 9mm ...something like the Liberta Oregon flight cage would be good as his permenant residence...there are several that are similar on the market and many brands depending on where you live. I only mention the liberta Oregon as an example because I am familiar with it. When buying a cage remember you want easy access to be able to reach areas and clean it. I would remove the perches that come with the cage and replace with more natural ones tha resemble the branches of a tree. I actually have tree branches in mine but clean and wash the branches that you use from outside...Also if you can bake them it would be good I steam clean mine. Apple tree branches are good. Looking at his crop I was wondering if there might be a little air in it. Nothing to worry about if there is ...it just means that you keep an eye on it and if you see it devellop into a bubble then you may need to get help to release the wind or air which is done by gentle massage but you need someone who knows what they are doing to do it. Right now his crop looks fairly normal...I have not hand fed and raised a baby sparrow but I have hand raised a baby finch and the crop does stay sort of bald for a while and also as they devellop they do take longer to empty their crop between feeds You are doing great with him. Its not easy keep the wild baby birds alive because their need for food every 20 mins or so to begin with and then ever half hour and later every hour and then every couple of hours makes them hard to raise them and you have so far done a wonderful job. Try and make sure that once every 24 hours that his crop fully emptys. Did you try leaving him with a sprig of millet yet...it will do two things the stem will give him the inclination to perch all be it that it is still laying flat on the ground and the millet itself will arouse his interest at first to play with it and peck it and later on to start to eat it. When you hear him start to wing flap introduce the millet sprig. Well Done you are doing a wonderful job :) The pics are Adorable :)

Wow this is so helpful! He's not ready for a cage quite yet, but I did want to get it set up as he is starting to flap his wings and be a bit active. I'll definitely pick up some spray millet for him today. I have one small "tiel" cage that I can start him in when he's fully feathered. Again, thanks for all the information!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
glutes

glutes

Feb 11, 2016
He's established a favorite spot: snuggled up under my chin[emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Maybe its the way Im looking at the pics as you have a towel round him in lots of them but in my estimation that little guy is not ready for a cage yet...he needs to be fully feathered before you place him in a cage...of course you can organise a play area cage for him if you think he is ready but dont leave him for too long in it as he could get cold...warmth helps the crop empty too. I wouldnt put him in the cage yet especially at night time. Put him in a box that resembles the security and warmth of his nest

When you get to ordering a cage for him I would order two...first a small cheap cage that is not tall that he can practice his wing flapping in that prepares him for the fledging stage and I would keep it simple with two perches (again not high just an inch or two from the floor of the cage where he can practice hopping from one to the other and begin his first flying lessons...you can also place a towel on the floor of the cage as you rsise the perches another inch or two when he succeeds at the lower level...the towel provides a soft landing in case he fslls off and you can add in some whiffle balls and a sprig of millet and some veggies and fruit...make the food a game for him to forage rather than leaving it in a bowl as this would be how he would spend his day in the wild. I would give him a clip on drinker to begin with thatis bottle like and has a little spout that is like a little beak size cup of water as you dont want him wetting himself by knocking over or falling into a water bowl...later you can give him a little shallow water dish to bathe in when he matures a little and moves into a larger flight cage that is longer than it is wide at least 30 18x 18( but preferably 36) nches and longer and taller if you can find it and afford it...remember that a long length of cage is way preferable to a tall cage as sparrows like to fly so he will need room. A swing or two would be good. Hanging toys and ladders too though they tend to use ladder rungs more as perches than for climbing. I ve even seen a baby finch thst enjoyed a bell but you can see what he likes as he matures and furnish his cage to his liking. Dont over clutter the cage though leave him space to fly...which is why bigger is better when thinking of a cage because you need space for items of interest to stimulate him and replicate his natural environment and space also to get a good flying stretch ...also the bar space in the cage needs to be about 9mm ...something like the Liberta Oregon flight cage would be good as his permenant residence...there are several that are similar on the market and many brands depending on where you live. I only mention the liberta Oregon as an example because I am familiar with it. When buying a cage remember you want easy access to be able to reach areas and clean it. I would remove the perches that come with the cage and replace with more natural ones tha resemble the branches of a tree. I actually have tree branches in mine but clean and wash the branches that you use from outside...Also if you can bake them it would be good I steam clean mine. Apple tree branches are good. Looking at his crop I was wondering if there might be a little air in it. Nothing to worry about if there is ...it just means that you keep an eye on it and if you see it devellop into a bubble then you may need to get help to release the wind or air which is done by gentle massage but you need someone who knows what they are doing to do it. Right now his crop looks fairly normal...I have not hand fed and raised a baby sparrow but I have hand raised a baby finch and the crop does stay sort of bald for a while and also as they devellop they do take longer to empty their crop between feeds You are doing great with him. Its not easy keep the wild baby birds alive because their need for food every 20 mins or so to begin with and then ever half hour and later every hour and then every couple of hours makes them hard to raise them and you have so far done a wonderful job. Try and make sure that once every 24 hours that his crop fully emptys. Did you try leaving him with a sprig of millet yet...it will do two things the stem will give him the inclination to perch all be it that it is still laying flat on the ground and the millet itself will arouse his interest at first to play with it and peck it and later on to start to eat it. When you hear him start to wing flap introduce the millet sprig. Well Done you are doing a wonderful job :) The pics are Adorable :)

Wow this is so helpful! He's not ready for a cage quite yet, but I did want to get it set up as he is starting to flap his wings and be a bit active. I'll definitely pick up some spray millet for him today. I have one small "tiel" cage that I can start him in when he's fully feathered. Again, thanks for all the information!!

Thsts Great. If the bar spacing in the tiels cage is wide be careful number 1 that he doesnt slip through the bars and
Get into trouble and number 2 that he doesnt get his head caught in them...the other thing you need to bear in mind is if there are sliding doors on the cage the kind that slide up and down either the main door or the feed bowl doors secure them tight so that he cant move them as if he discovers they slide he could get badly injured or indeed killed if the door were to close quickly down on top of him. He will also need a wild bird seed diet with insects in it as he grows older. He will probably enjoy mealworms too. But the millet is a good started both for his feet while learning to perch and to stimulate pecking and later eating.
He's established a favorite spot: snuggled up under my chin[emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]

He is already such a little pet...how cute and he knows hes safe and warm and comfy there. You have done a wonderful thing for that little guy. Have you given him a name yet ?

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Would you like ideas?
I don't have any, but I (we) could start thinking...

OP
glutes

glutes

Feb 11, 2016

Thsts Great. If the bar spacing in the tiels cage is wide be careful number 1 that he doesnt slip through the bars and
Get into trouble and number 2 that he doesnt get his head caught in them...the other thing you need to bear in mind is if there are sliding doors on the cage the kind that slide up and down either the main door or the feed bowl doors secure them tight so that he cant move them as if he discovers they slide he could get badly injured or indeed killed if the door were to close quickly down on top of him. He will also need a wild bird seed diet with insects in it as he grows older. He will probably enjoy mealworms too. But the millet is a good started both for his feet while learning to perch and to stimulate pecking and later eating.

He is already such a little pet...how cute and he knows hes safe and warm and comfy there. You have done a wonderful thing for that little guy. Have you given him a name yet ?

I jus checked the cage and the bar spacing is a little too roomy. I guess that means he gets a brand new one tomorrow! I can get him to nibble at his formula but he doesn't quite get it yet. I've decided to call him(her?) Giblet. The food I initially was feeding was Friskies gravy and giblets wet cat food, and "Giblet" seemed very fitting! He's made a surprising amount of progress today. He has started to flap his wings, preen his feathers, sort of perch on my finger(it's difficult with his bad leg), and he learnt how to hop from my hand up to my chin for cuddles:)

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
you have a cute baby. thanks for taking care of him. I hope he does well.
I found a tame sparrow at a rest stop driving down the 5 freeway.
landed at my feet and I picked him up on my finger. Bought him some Fritos (or something) to eat but had to move on.
I thought about taking him home with me but thought it best for him to stay with his friends & family.
texsize

OP
glutes

glutes

Feb 11, 2016
His leg is getting better, but it's not quite as strong as the other leg. He tries to perch on my finger but fails because his bad leg will just dangle or get wrapped up in he other leg. It seems like a case of spraddle leg, so I made him a brace with a bandaid. He wasn't very happy about getting the brace put on, but now he can perch!!
6c16c94d84cd8c2b2f42fc539b383f82.png
and here he is begging for food on my shoulder where I can't see him:
7f58d17751915512bf41f757b4928afe.png

OP
glutes

glutes

Feb 11, 2016
I got him a starter cage. It's pretty small, basically a large shoebox with a wire top. However, it's perfect for him to begin hopping around on perches. He has a huge 3'Hx2'Dx3'L waiting for him when he can confidently get around. Currently he's sitting in a little nest that I bought for him preening his feathers[emoji4]he's taken to the millet straight away. His leg brace is really helping him use his bad leg more. I think I'll leave it on another day so it can really become stronger.

OP
glutes

glutes

Feb 11, 2016
It's scary how fast he's growing! I thought for sure I would be hand feeding him for another week, but he doesn't agree. He's decided that the formula is gross and it needs to be avoided at all costs. If I manage to get some in his mouth he shakes his head like a bratty little toddler! He tolerates baby food and eggs, so that's what he got tonight. He's also discovered how amazing his voice is and has been chirping all night[emoji38]he can stand now which means his leg brace is helping, and today he surprised me by "flying" out of my hand!! He has some interest in the toys I gave him. Lol as I'm writing this he just tested out a different pitch! He's so perfect for me.

41Gryphon

Oct 16, 2014
Maryland
Parrots
Eris the GCC (11 years), Diell the Sun Conure (2 years), Lule the canary, Drini the canary
We wanna see more pictures!! He sounds adorable.

OP
glutes

glutes

Feb 11, 2016
Isn't he just heart melting?! He's been chirping all day non-stop and it's such a cute noise. I love this bird! And who says finches don't play?? He literally grabbed onto my shirt, and then my cheek, and swung his head left to right like a dog[emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]
741d5ae7b8fb92e0538b7795457f21a3.png
he goes out of his way to snuggle up by my neck. It's so sweet.
42d9630e2c28a39e2ac55dd3fcd1103a.png
fa1d06073eca0a3fa1819de0d33afb97.png
49208355b25e1c6c32117a0014d4c641.png
a872d2c3906c9563bdbe4ec7d207c1d5.jpg
hes so curious, he likes to look at life from every angle! After I took these pics he flew onto my iPad and then onto my shoulder to snuggle up in my hair!

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
I love this and he is Adorable...yes they do indeed play...ànd as you are finding out first hand make the most Adorable of pets too. Gorgeous pics and Well Done you have done and are doing a wonderful job. I think you have a little friend for life there :)

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
This guy is so adorable that I would be willing to cheat on the Rickeybird just to cuddle!
It's impossible not to look at that face and imagine him saying all kinds of smart-alecky things... like Bart Simpson.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Just curious here...do you know what type/species giblet is?? Are you in the USA? I ask coz when I raised a sparrow when I was a kid, she was your typical "English House Sparrow", and Chii Chii didn't look anything like your Giblet :p
And BTW..you are doing an awesome job with him! And he is a cutie to boot! :D

Jim

Most Reactions

Latest posts