I'm adopting a two year old Caique as a first bird. Tips appreciated.

Irishj9

Nov 20, 2011
Media
Parrots
11 caiques, 24 lovebirds
Does his beak look a little too long? Otherwise, does he look healthy?

The general rule is that the beak is not too long if the upper mandible does not overshoot the lowest point of the lower mandible.

I still prefer mine not to get to this length though

JP

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
You could get him groomed and see where he needs to be.

OP
I

Ivara1

Jun 3, 2015
I'll see what I do when I get him. :) I'm so excited!

dskidd

Dec 6, 2012
Parrots
Eliza -- Black Headed Caique
Henry -- White-Bellied Caique
He's adorable, and very healthy looking. His beak looks right at the limit; at least from what I can tell from that angle. Henry's was pretty much at the same length during his last check-up, and the vet did trim it...but only very slightly. In fact, I'm not sure I would have known it if he hadn't told me he had done so.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Tip: Watch that video I posted earlier today. THAT'S WHAT IT'S LIKE!

They're fairly easy birds, if you play with them.

They love trick training. They like puzzle toys/forraging.

Love to play on their backs. Pretty hyper. Fun birds. Huge personalities.

dskidd

Dec 6, 2012
Parrots
Amen. That video is utterly awesome. Henry's watching it now!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
amen. That video is utterly awesome. Henry's watching it now!

but that is exactly what these birds are like, isn't it?!

dskidd

Dec 6, 2012
Parrots
amen. That video is utterly awesome. Henry's watching it now!

but that is exactly what these birds are like, isn't it?!

Oh, absolutely. It really is like watching Eliza and Henry, particularly when the BHC is so interested in opening the door, while the WHB just wants to play. That is so E&H. Then they just start playing with each other, with humans, and pretty much anything else they can find.

Henry is mesmerized. I think he likes the video almost--but not quite--as much as the one of Pixie helping Shauna knit.

Of course, first place is reserved for videos of himself. He's a bit of a narcissist...
;)

OP
I

Ivara1

Jun 3, 2015
UPDATE:
I've confirmed with the owner now that we're coming to pick it up on the first-coming monday. I'm purchasing a budgie cage, or a hamster cage for him to travel in. It'll be a long trip to get him (6+ hours each way), but it'll be worth it!

OP
I

Ivara1

Jun 3, 2015
Should I clip the wings on the Caique, to make him less able to fly? I know there's a lot of controversy around it. I don't think I'll do it, but what's your advice on it?

Irishj9

Nov 20, 2011
Media
Parrots
11 caiques, 24 lovebirds
Wing clipping does create an attitude change. For instance if I shot you in both your legs, your attitude would change also.

Feathers grow back of course but I really dislike clipping. Buy a bird and disable it, no thanks.

Instead why dont you leave it as a semi- independent being and WORK to earn its friendship.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I would wait and see how things go first before deciding whether or not to clip. Everyone is different but personally I only clip if the birds are a danger to themselves or very aggressive.

Last edited:
OP
I

Ivara1

Jun 3, 2015
Wing clipping does create an attitude change. For instance if I shot you in both your legs, your attitude would change also.

Feathers grow back of course but I really dislike clipping. Buy a bird and disable it, no thanks.

Instead why dont you leave it as a semi- independent being and WORK to earn its friendship.

This way my thought also. I would much rather make it trust me. Crippling it doesn't seem very ideal.

In the summer I will spend a lot of my time in my cabin/hut. Could I buy a smaller cage for him to live him while I'm there? The bird will be out all day up there except at night. Is it possible to have something smaller? I will spend around 2 weeks there.

RissaLynn

Sep 13, 2014
Connecticut
Parrots
Ziki the White Bellied Caique
I have a two year old wbc,and he was adopted from another family as well.For me we bonded very quickly because I personally know them and visited them(and Ziki) often and played with him since he was just a baby.The wbc should have little trouble bonding,but of course give him some time! Going to a new place,with new smells and whatnot is going to be alot to take in!Learn his body language.Learn likes and dislikes and it will work fine! Also be sure to let him have fun,but dont let him get too spoiled! Let him know who is dominant and keep him trained(stepping up or down when told,not biting hands,ect).They enjoy trying to be top dog,so you need to just be stern sometimes! They love out of cage time and lots of toys.
I will say you are in for a very fun time though.They are easy to handle if you keep them on a schedule and have them trained to listen to you.They love playing and they are so cheeky! Getting my Ziki was the best thing that happened to me within the past year of having him,and Im more than sure you will feel the same! :greenyellow:

OP
I

Ivara1

Jun 3, 2015
Hello again!

I just picked up my bird! I'm drivig home now.

I have a couple of questions:
He has bobbed his head and puked several times. We're in the car now. Is this a sign of him being ill, or is he stressed?

He seems to be itchy. Is he dirty and itching because of this?

He did not puke while we were inside the owners house.

Last edited:

Irishj9

Nov 20, 2011
Media
Parrots
11 caiques, 24 lovebirds
Hello again!

I just picked up my bird! I'm drivig home now.

I have a couple of questions:
He has bobbed his head and puked several times. We're in the car now. Is this a sign of him being ill, or is he stressed?

He seems to be itchy. Is he dirty and itching because of this?

He did not puke while we were inside the owners house.

All my caiques get car sick and puke if they're travelling for more than 10-15 minutes. Outside the car, puking for you is a sign of love and affection(!).

If he is scratching, offer him a tray of shallow COLD water and let him decide to bathe or not. Encourage by gentle misting. But a vet check is no harm Maybe he picked up some mites or unwanted parasites.

JP

OP
I

Ivara1

Jun 3, 2015
Thank you for the answer, JP. I was kinda worried.

We're home now, and his jumping and flying around. I'm trying to buy his trust with fruit, and it seems to help. I drew blood when he bit me. He has bitten me several times, but that's usually when he's on my shoulder, eating, or something he's busy with. I gently tell him "no", with a firm voice when he bites. I heard this was a way to teach him not to bite.

Also, is there anyone here that has any experience with potty training them?

Thanks! :)

OP
I

Ivara1

Jun 3, 2015
UPDATE: The bird is super sweet to us already. He doesn't bite, he's playful and cozy.

But I'm still wondering about the grey parts under his coloured feathers. Is it molt, preening, or plucking? See image linked below.

Imgur

dskidd

Dec 6, 2012
Parrots
So glad to hear he's home!

It's possible the itching/scratching may also have something to do with stress. Eliza will do that quite a bit if there's a stranger in the house and she's in her cage. Rehoming/transporting is almost always stressful for a bird; it sounds like he's settling in nicely, though!

Most Reactions