I'm adopting a two year old Caique as a first bird. Tips appreciated.

OP
I

Ivara1

Jun 3, 2015
So glad to hear he's home!

It's possible the itching/scratching may also have something to do with stress. Eliza will do that quite a bit if there's a stranger in the house and she's in her cage. Rehoming/transporting is almost always stressful for a bird; it sounds like he's settling in nicely, though!

Thank you, I'll post a "mug-shot" of him tomorrow. ;)

He's asleep now, and I have another question. :p

He's previous owners let him sleep in a bird hut. He's been sleeping in it for almost 2 years. He has a habit where he goes to sleep at a set time during the evening. I read that these huts can hurt the parrot if they're unlucky. Should I try to remove the hut in a week or two, and try to make him independent from it?

Thanks!

Chihuahua

Jun 8, 2015
Parrots
1 Sun Conure "Orion" 4 yrs
Wing clipping does create an attitude change. For instance if I shot you in both your legs, your attitude would change also.

Feathers grow back of course but I really dislike clipping. Buy a bird and disable it, no thanks.

Instead why dont you leave it as a semi- independent being and WORK to earn its friendship.

Feathers might grow back.. if you don't do a chop job and damage the follicles. My conure has been flightless for 4 years after Petco destroyed his wings.

Congrats on the new addition! I hope you enjoy him! I just got my first bird a few days ago too and I love him.

Irishj9

Nov 20, 2011
Media
Parrots
11 caiques, 24 lovebirds
He's previous owners let him sleep in a bird hut. He's been sleeping in it for almost 2 years. He has a habit where he goes to sleep at a set time during the evening. I read that these huts can hurt the parrot if they're unlucky. Should I try to remove the hut in a week or two, and try to make him independent from it?

Thanks!

I'm soo looking forward to pics of the new addition. Regarding the sleeping habits and bird hut.

Caiques are creatures of habit. And their habits are your friend. You can predict beheaviour with them. Mine do not use huts but my lovebirds do. Just keep an eye that there are no loose threads or strings on the hut. See that he is not eating it or picking at it.

If not, I would leave it alone. Let him enjoy life lol

JP

dskidd

Dec 6, 2012
Parrots
Eliza -- Black Headed Caique
Henry -- White-Bellied Caique
He's asleep now, and I have another question. :p

Thanks!

As Irishj9 points out, caiques are most definitely creatures of habit. One warning I received was having a hut for a female caique: it can tend to set off the nesting instinct; thus, you're essentially taking her raging hormones and carbonating them.

However, with a male bird, it may not be that big of an issue. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge than I will be able to chime in.

OP
I

Ivara1

Jun 3, 2015
UPDATE with a couple of pictures:

Ludo was left alone for 9 days while we were on vacation, so I had to make arrangements for people to look after him. I was worried that when I returned, he would be mad at me, but this wasn't the case. He was more than happy when I returned and wanted to be petted while he were on his back in my hand.

He's as playful as ever, and I've found out that if I let my hand touch surface in front of him rapidly, moving it simultaneously forward, he will jump after it, he seems to love it. He's nibby, but I guess that's just how the Caiques are. ;)

He does still scream for attention when he's put in his cage. This might be a bad habit he has gotten from his previous owners. If he learned that screaming makes his owners take him out of its cage, it's of course natural for him to continue with this behaviour. He is ignored when he starts to scream like this, and rewarded when he doesn't.

I'm having problems with potty training him, it's hard to time how often he poops, so any tips on this matter would be appreciable!

Imgur
Imgur

If you'd like more pictures, be sure to tell me. :)

Last edited:

Irishj9

Nov 20, 2011
Media
Parrots
11 caiques, 24 lovebirds
'I've found out that if I let my hand touch surface in front of him rapidly, moving it simultaneously forward, he will jump after it, he seems to love it'

Great chance to teach him target training, and even hopping on cue! terrific.

'He does still scream for attention when he's put in his cage' Then make putting him in his cage a pleasurable experience. Reward him each and every time he goes in, his favourite food is good as it will also keep him busy for a while. And teach him a less irritating contact call. and keep the cage somewhere there is life and action he can watch from inside.

Most Reactions