I'm back! With a new fid!

rypie

Nov 9, 2014
Ok so if you know me from this site at all it is probably from all my post about my rescue blue and gold macaw Demi. Well Demi is doing fantastic and I will upload a pic of her in the macaw area later. But I have just received a female eclectus! Her name is Rosie and she is 15 years old! She is the biggest love big. Only wants to be on my chest preening my beard and snuggling under my chin. But I have some concerns. I guess that she use to have extremely long nails like to the point they were staring to curl! They are a much better length now but I believe having them so long for such a long time that it weakened her feet. She has a hard time holding on. Like when I carry her on my arm I always put my other hand on her back to keep her stable. She perches fine in her cage all night while I'm at work and such. She eats fine drinks fine and loves to be with people. So I don't believe she is sick. She has an appointment with the avian vet when he comes down next. Anyway here is Rosie.

6BC45229-A3D0-4AB7-85B2-5EEB710D3EB6.jpg

4CA150A2-690C-40E7-B8D3-133F42CBA142.jpg

Last edited:

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
What a beautiful girl! I am partial to the girlies, they get such a bad rap but can be so very sweet if you take the time to understand them.

By the looks of Rosie feathers she has been fed a good eclectus diet which is wonderful.:D

Eclectus don't grip as hard when perching on us humans as other parrots. They also need perches that aren't too slick. The other big difference in regards to their feet is while occasionally they will hold food with their feet they don't do it nearly as much as other parrots and usually just dive their faces in the bowl. Tossing what they don't want and devouring what they do. Once they come up for air they usually have a little food beard going on! :p

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Rosie is gorgeous! Congratulations and I hope everything goes well with the vet when she gets to see him:)

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
Rosie is beautiful!!

OP
R

rypie

Nov 9, 2014
I have no idea how many homes. The people I got her from thought a bunch of homes. :(. She will be living the remainder with me. She hates women but boy does she love men lol.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Funny, that was my foster female eckie's name too!

I also had a Rosie who was selective about who she loved on, but was a love if you were one of the people she picked... she's in great feather. Looks like a great bird!

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
GW Macaw-Sailor, Goffins Cockatoo Mako, GC Conure-Tazzy, Turquoise Conure Yuki, Budgies-Percy, Annabeth, Elsa
She's lovely, it's good to know she now has a forever home :)

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
What a beautiful bird! It's so lovely to see her in such good feather. Congrats on your new addition :)

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Gorgeous! And about the toe nails, when I got Buddy he had lllooonnngggg toe nails. After we clipped them he suddenly started having issues staying on his perch and my arm and shoulder. He's improved but we wondered if it was because he had adjusted to having such long toe nails. Thanks for sharing that. Enjoy the love!

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Oliver, Male (SI) Eclectus
Rosie is gorgeous!!!! So sorry to hear her toe nails were so long that she's suffering now...perhaps in time she'll develop strength with her newly clipped nails...

Most Reactions