I'm new and i need advice

Katiestevens

Oct 3, 2019
Parrots
I have a bugie, I got her from a pet store. Her name is woodstock.
I have a budgie, I got her about 4 months ago, I also have a dog. . Who still whines at the cage regularly, especially when I give her attention or she even just flaps her wings. I have a barrier around her cage so the dog cant get to close. . When I first got her she was in a smaller cage from the pet store. And she would let me pet her and she would hop on my finger. She was also alone in the other room. . Before I moved her into a bigger cage in the living room where I'm always at. I gave her a few weeks to adjust. And tried again with the petting but she wouldn't have it. . She goes through moods where she really wont like me even changing her water and food.
Later through the months she started packing at the cage. Banging her beak on the side. . She does this with her bell alot already, but its progressed into the side of the cage. . . Now before if I stuck my finger in the cage she wouldn't really be to into it. . But that was it. . Now she tries to bite me, which I just keep saying hi I in a happy voice like it's nothing, and let her
. But now she bites and bangs her head on my finger. . . BUT now she let's my hand inside the cage and isnt afraid really. . . Idk how to bond with her. I'm trying my best but she just wont have it. . She sings all day long and plays. .I also wanted to mention that when I got her, just one wing was clipped. . So right now shes almost got it fully grown back. If that helps. . I just want her to trust and bond with me
. . . Any advice on what I'm doing wrong?:yellow2:

Last edited:
OP
Katiestevens

Katiestevens

Oct 3, 2019
Parrots
I also wanted to mention that when I got her, just one wing was clipped. . So right now shes almost got it fully grown back. If that helps. .

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
OP
Katiestevens

Katiestevens

Oct 3, 2019
Parrots
I know I hated seeing her off balance trying to fly with one wing. . . But it's been four months or so. . Should I be worried?

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
It'll grow in. Just make sure that never happens again. It's a terrible thing for them to be unbalanced like that.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Hi, and welcome!
As Tami said, a single wing clip is horrible and dangerous for the bird!
Budgies are slow to come around, but they do! You are making progress!

Your dog!
Our first bird, Tango, was killed right in front of us! You really can’t move fast enough when it happens! Keep your guard up at all times!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, great advice above! Working to build trust while the single-clipped wing regrows will make a huge difference!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome.
When I got my first bird, I already had a chow mix dog. The dog had cought killed and eaten a fledging wild bird on walk, before I could stop her.
When I brought my bird home she would drool and stare at the bird wanting to eat her. It took a heck of a lot of work to convince my dog that the bird was mine and off limits. Dogs do understand pack leaders and owning something. So that's a plus. If you can work with your dog till it will leave a nice hamburger alone on a plate on the floor, be cause it's yours, and your dog respects you. Then you can work to get it to leave the bird one as well, ( though never trust completely).
Whenever she would come close to the cage, or even look at the bird I would get between them state hard at her and make her back up with my body and the force of my will, there was no yelling or hitting. I would say no back off once in a string speaking voice then use my body to back her up. Whenever I had the bird and at all times she had to give the bird a minimum of five feet if space. I also worked her with toys and food the same way, she couldn't touch food or toys I'd claimed unless I let her. It took a few months. It was well worth it as shortly after that my bird escaped the cage after a bath as I opened the door. My fluttered over and landed in my dogs face!!!! But my dog froze looking at me like this is not my fault!! And I was able to rescue my bird unharmed. All my dogs since I've gotten ad puppies and trained the same way.

As for bonding with an adult budgie , it's hard. I have ob budgie that will sometimes step up, a d will take food from my hand, but that's as far as I've gotten. I gave up and didn't put the work in , I admit. I'm happy letting them be budgies and y around the house. They are beautiful and charming to watch, but I can't touch them. I hope you are successful, but it is a lot of work and patience, more than I had :)

Most Reactions