I'm picking up a new addition tomorrow, 7yr. old female goffins!

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
It does take a whole for them to relax , but it sounds like she is already if she is perching
I found that my Yoshi loves the big cage even though he is out most of the day
They really like to climb and swing upside down and a long perch is great for their
daily marching ritual , lol. That's what Yoshi does every morning , he does this really fun head swing too , then puts his head really low and runs as fast as he can to the other
end of the perch , lolol. Like I said , they are very comical :)
I'm sure Sassy will have you ROFLAO very soon :)
I know I said this before , but , Pictures Please !!!!! lololol.
Oh yeah , Yoshi wants me to give a shout out to Sassy for him :)
And he says "welcome home "

OP
Mare Miller

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
Sassy is now taking a nap, to me...she looks a lot older than 7yrs. Hard to say, Amigo is definitely much healthier looking than she and he's twice her age. I'll be making a vet appt. tomorrow and get her in soon, for sure going to keep a quarantine going.

When she wakes up, I'll get some photos and hoping to get them posted. If needed I'll call one of my kids to help!

OP
Mare Miller

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
Parrots
we call him Amigo!

I bombed with the photo posting. My son, who lives in Davis, tried to walk me through this and finally suggested I take a computer class, good idea! I'll wait for my daughter to get back from her trip.

One thing I'm noticing about Sassy is she seems to be itchy. If she's not trying to groom herself with her beak, she has her foot scratching around on her head and neck, you know that move where her foot moves slowly in and out of the feathers? At what point should I mist her? Is tomorrow too soon? I can't wait to get to the vet!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
You can mist her now if you like. I actually give ALL the new addition a bath the day I bring them home. They love to run their claws through their feathers like that. Rubbing around and such. If she's doing that already, she's quite comfortable with you.

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Yes , I agree , he must be quite comfortable with you :)
If she doesn't protest the misting , go ahead , she probably love it :)

OP
Mare Miller

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
Parrots
we call him Amigo!

I'm very excited and curious about this bird. I love the blush of peach color under her head and neck feathers and looking forward to giving her scritches. She is so different than Amigo and yet, so similar. A major difference is...where are her nose holes, (nares?)? I assume she has them but they are nowhere to be seen! That, to me, is bizarre.

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
I'm very excited and curious about this bird. I love the blush of peach color under her head and neck feathers and looking forward to giving her scritches. She is so different than Amigo and yet, so similar. A major difference is...where are her nose holes, (nares?)? I assume she has them but they are nowhere to be seen! That, to me, is bizarre.

Oh , they're there , lol. She has a lot of black whisker like hairs that are
most likely covering them ,lol.
I'm so excited for you , lol. Can't wait to see the pictures :)
I had a problem with the pictures too . Try taking a video of her and posting it to YouTube. It's easier to copy the link and add to a email.
I can't use my desktop to download pictures and my new laptop doesn't seem to allow me to post pictures , lolol.
:white1::white1:

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
The foot "scratching" around the chin/head/neck is a GOOD thing!! Sugar does this particularly when she wants head scratches or when she's feeling very comfortable. It's awesome to know my baby feels so comfortable and happy with us.

Also, the cleaner she gets, the more of that peach color comes out. We've given Sugar 2 showers so far where she got completely drenched and with each shower, she's got more peach.

It took Sugar a few days to kind of get a feel for things and day by day she comes out more and more from her "shell". The plucking (if I remember the previous posts correctly, you did say she's plucking a bit on her chest) could be why she looks "older", but then again, I don't think many birds are very good at showing their age. My girlfriend's U2 looks like he's just a baby, and he's 14. Her M2 is almost 20 and he looks like he's not a day above 8.

Good luck at the Vet's! Let us know how it goes!

OP
Mare Miller

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
Parrots
we call him Amigo!

hi luvmytooo, Sassy's color around her beak/nasal area is actually not peach but more of a salmon color, I don't see any black at all. I poked around, a bit, (trying not to GET bit), and could not see any black hairs or, for that matter, nostrils!

Thanks Katherine for the good luck wishes at the vet, I'll let you know what she says.

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
hi luvmytooo, Sassy's color around her beak/nasal area is actually not peach but more of a salmon color, I don't see any black at all. I poked around, a bit, (trying not to GET bit), and could not see any black hairs or, for that matter, nostrils!

Thanks Katherine for the good luck wishes at the vet, I'll let you know what she says.

I took a better look at Yoshi and he has either same coloring , salmon and he has light cream colored hairs around the nares. Why the heck I was thinking black I have no idea. I'm a bit tired , lolol.
But I think if you give her a misting , you will see them clearer. Im positive they are there Mare , lol.
Try taking the video if you can .
I will do the same of Yoshi so you can compare nares , lololol.
:white1::white1:

OP
Mare Miller

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
Parrots
we call him Amigo!

My life is now complete, I have one cockatoo outside and one inside yelling back and forth to each other! I have to admit...the goffins, Sassy's yell, is bell peppers compared to the habanero pepper yell of Amigo! I'm loving her, I let her out today and she is on top of her cage grooming herself. She is quite the character, a bit cage aggressive when not feeling in the entertaining mood. She jumped over to my chair, near her cage, and asked for some loving.

I misted her this morning and she wasn't too happy about that. I'm noticing that she doesn't have the powdery dust like Amigo, is that normal for a goffins?

We are going to the vet's on Wed. for her first check-up, (with me anyways). One more question, is it goffin or goffins?

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
I'm so excited for pictures!

& I'm not sure, I just call them goffins, but I think that's because I use it more plurally than anything else!

Looking forward to more stories about them as a pair, I'm excited for when quarantine is over! :D

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
Yes, their screams seem to be significantly less... offensive, than a U2 or M2 when compared ;)

Sugar has dander and compared to a GCC. It's significant, as I can't give her scritches without having the equivalent of birdy dandruff visibly left behind, but I'm not sure how much of that is common for Goffins, how much of it is the pin feathers breaking open as I'm scritching her and how much of it is just "her".

Also, Sugar "grooms" a lot as well, but doesn't pluck. I also remember the Goffins at my Vet's office back in NY grooming quite a bit as well. Maybe they're just big on preening?

And I dunno, I've always heard "Goffins", but I think in my book, it's Goffin or Goffin's. I'll have to go look at my book and then I can tell you!

GiosMom

May 12, 2012
It's Goffin...or plural Goffin's LOL....but who cares Congrats! Soooo jealous I can't wait. Chico's target to come home date is August 1st. Uggggh pictures and stories please! The waiting is killing me.

Most Reactions