I'm thinking about clipping Cody again...

GreenCheek

Aug 27, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Parrots
1 Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure: Cody <3
Hey there! Long time no see!

As much as I LOVE Cody free flighted, it's becoming a little problematic right now. He has this new "crush" for my brother now, and my brother is really afraid of him. I'm serious, if my brother was brave enough to interact with Cody, I'd lose him over this. :( He has a lust for Ryan (my brother) that I just don't quite get. If he's in the room, he'll constantly fly to his head/shoulder (he's never bitten Ryan, but it really scares him), and whenever my brother walks out of the room, Cody will also follow. THEN, when I go into the other room to get Cody back, he'll either bite me, or fly away, and start doing laps around the house screaming bloody murder!! It's really getting to be a problem, as he seems to like me less and less each day. :( What do you guys think? I know clipping will obviously keep him from flying to my brother, but will it help him "forget" about Ryan a little (since he won't be able to constantly fly to him)? I'm serious, it's really creepy. Cody's cage is elevated by the computer table, and all Cody does when Ryan is on the computer (and he's in his cage) is sit in the corner and stare at Ryan the whole time! And he gets REALLY upset if Ryan pays any attention to the cat or the dog when he's in the cage. So, any ideas? Will clipping help? I hate to do it, but I'm not sure what else to do. :( I've been considering this since it started (about a month ago), bit I figured I'd ask for your guy's advice on the matter.

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Cal gets like this with Dave at times and I just laugh it off - I find it cute. The more Cal lands on his face (my darling husband has no ability to be firm with ANY animal), the more he tries to hand her back, the more she wants her Daddy! (Mummy doesn't have stubble under her chin that Cal can rub herself on for a start!!!)

When does this happen.....?

When Mum (me) has had a busy day and hasn't been able to spend as much time in the daytime with Cal as usual lol. I honestly think it's a sort of two fingers up "nanenanepoopoo" scenario.....

I would say ride it through and perhaps you might want to try and have Cody out in places where your brother isn't for a while - purely because your brother isn't enjoying the attention.

As for the wing clipping, in Cal's case, I keep her flighted as she loves it and due to our set up, her safety is not compromised. If I clipped her just because sometimes she wants to be with Dave, I'd feel very selfish.

I want to stress that I am NOT being horrible or mean to you here, I'm just telling you my thoughts and relating. I wouldn't try and tell you what to do on a situation only you know the in's and out's of.:)

Finally, I love the fact Cal loves Dave too. If anything ever happens to me and I'm not around (for a while due to emergency or you know, dead!!) then she will not be left with someone she isn't bonded to. If anything, I actively encouraged their relationship.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

OP
GreenCheek

GreenCheek

Aug 27, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Parrots
Thanks for the advice! The only problem is, the living room is really the only place I can let him out, and my brother is on the computer a lot. I can't have him in my room flighted because he flies to the chinchilla cages and the chinchillas could bite off his toes if I'm not quick enough getting him (that and the cages are galvanized...). My brother's room is, well, simply not safe. Then that leaves the bathroom, and that's where I put the cat while Cody is out. :( This is why it's a problem. And my situation's a little different with Ryan being really afraid of him. It doesn't feel fair to my brother, he didn't ask to have a bird in the house. He never bothered with Ryan before, but now, he just wants to be with him all the time. I don't even know why, Ryan has NEVER interacted with Cody before, so why would he pick him? It's all just weird, and I still am unsure what to do.. All I know is Cody's time out also suffers, as he doesn't get out nearly as much anymore because of this, since once he starts doing it constantly I have to put him back in the cage.

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Ahhhh I see....a bit like our house - military operation!

I would say your only solution is to encourage Ryan! Maybe starting from inside the cage? Sounds like Cody isn't going to stop until he gets some attention anyway!

OP
GreenCheek

GreenCheek

Aug 27, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Parrots
Just thought I'd update that I've been working with Cody a lot and it has gotten a lot better! Trust me, I don't want to clip him. I love watching him fly around! I'll keep working with him and see how it goes. We have a curtain put up now in the archway to the kitchen so he can't continuously follow Ryan into there, so he's learning not to even try now. And he's also getting better when Ryan's on the computer as well. And trust me, there's no "encouraging" my brother. He's afraid of his own shadow (he's even afraid of dogs/cats/hamsters... (I'm really not kidding). Just wanted to update!

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
You are really sitting with a dilemma GreenCheek. Somebody should tell Cody that he is suppose to love the sister NOT the brother, I mean really.:D

Can you perhaps move the computer so that Ryan do not spend so much time next to Cody's cage?

It is really not fair towards Ryan or Cody, I suppose Cody gets less time out due to this and poor Ryan is scared in his own home. You cant force your brother to take interest in Cody and all of this must also put a lot of strain on your relationship.

I would clip Cody because it really seems like everybody is suffering and it has been 2 months already. The good news is WINGS GROW BACK.:D

A vet can clip just enough that Cody can still fly but not gain height. You can work on bonding even stronger with Cody during this time because he wont be able to fly away from you and go to your brother. It must also hurt when Cody wants to bite you when you want to take him away from your brother - this behavior will make me feel rejected.:(

Good luck in which ever decision you make.;)

Most Reactions