Import/Export Dilemma

KantoFeathers

Sep 4, 2016
Bringing my Lovies to my next duty station - Import/Export Dilemma

Hello!

New here and wondering if anyone might be able to help me with a situation. I'm a US citizen currently stationed in/living in Japan. I've got three beautiful little lovies:rainbow1: that I would very much like to take with me to my next duty station (Guam) in about 9 months - which is, I believe as far as import laws go, still under US Fish and Wildlife laws.

Which has a ban on direct import from Japan :/

I did a little poking around though, and it doesn't appear (at least not at first glance) that the Philippines has any issue with import from Japan, nor export to the States and its territories.

Is there anyone here that might know someone with experience in the import/export business? I would really rather not rehome them if there's any chance that they can come with me. I just have no idea where I'd start.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

ardence

Aug 28, 2016
Pittsburgh
Parrots
Bud - Cockatiel ll Queequeg - Green Cheek Conure ll Savo - Cockatiel
Wow, I have no idea, but I think it's wonderful that you are going to do whatever you can to bring them along!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
First change your discussions from Import/Export to bringing your 'Pets' with you to your next duty station! You will be surprised in the differences that will make!

Important things:
What type of Parrots - Some States and Territories have restrictions of specific species
How long have you had them - Days, months, years. It does make a difference with the longer the better.
Health requirements - Each State and Territory has their own requirements regarding 'Avian Vet' medical evaluation and testing prior to traveling.
Your primary contact will be your closest US Consulate.

This should at least get you started. Come back as you start working thought this process.

OP
K

KantoFeathers

Sep 4, 2016
I don't doubt that it makes a difference in discussion - I just can't seem to find any information at all unless I use the "import/export" shpiel. Let me see if I can edit the title on the original post. :) I do suppose also that I should clarify:

Guam has no restrictions on the types of birds, and no current quarantine procedures set in place, either. My main concern is that the US has a standing ban on all birds from a handful of Southeast Asian countries and Japan is included in that list. Even though they're my pets and babies, the Fish & Wildlife administration still considers the whole process "importing", and they can't be directly brought into the country. Unfortunately, that means territories either. The length of time that I've owned them does not make a difference as I can't get around that ban directly regardless.

I'm mostly wondering if/where I might be able to find someone who has imported or brought pets over from one of the countries that the US has currently banned incoming birds from, and what the go-between might be.

Last edited:

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Have you spoke to an agent for US Fish and Wildlife? They are not a bad bunch, with all the impact of the ESA on movements of birds in the US, I established contact / communication with an agent and he has been exceptionally helpful, open and very communicative.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It makes a World of difference how long you have owned them! So, check your paperwork for a receipt of sale.

As a US Citizen transporting your Personal Property from one US Military base to another it also matters.

Contact your closest US Consulate!

Most Reactions

Latest posts