In need of advice, dont make me feel bad, just help

czgheib

Sep 11, 2010
It's about my Two new conures, that I bought off craigslist, when I bought them, I saw that her legs where ****ed up, I thought her condition was stable and that it was an old injury, but today as she was on my finger, my brother saw her from the bottom, and there is a marble like sized swell ball the top of her foot, with a blue bursting tip point forming... WTF do I do, I know vets cost a lot of money. I know a vet would numb or drug her, then drain the bump. I don't have money to pay a vet, is there a place that would do it for free or cheap? Or I can give her away to a place that can fix her then re-sell her.

Last edited:

mnkeastman

Jan 6, 2012
Parrots
Pixie-White Capped Pionus
Do you have any pictures you could post here for the experienced people on the forum? There are several breeders here and owners that have had Parrots for many years that may have some ideas for you.

If that is really your situation then maybe you should consider a rescue? I don't know anywhere you could go that would fix your birds and just give them back to you.

I hope someone with experience is able to help you further and I hope your able to find your birds the care they need so badly.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I'm not sure what a couple of your words mean because the website has censored them...

I know you don't want to hear this, but it sounds like she should really go to a vet. You should plan to take the birds in for checkups anyways, because they are new pets. This should be routine with any new pet. This is part of being a responsible pet owner. I spent about $350 for Puck's first visit, which included a full blood panel (about $200 by itself), physical checkup, and grooming.

You can call around and see if a vet would let you pay it off in a few payments. Many will work with you. Explain your situation. It probably won't be that expensive anyways. Whatever the vet visit costs (mine charges $50), and if it's an abscess, lancing is a simple procedure (which means inexpensive) if it's even necessary, and antibiotics are relatively inexpensive. It will cost some money, but shouldn't cost a ton.

I can't help but wonder though... if you can't afford to take these birds to the vet when they are sick, how can you afford to take care of them? Is the cage big enough? Do they have enough toys? What are they eating? Is there adequate lighting? The cost of the bird itself is only a fraction of what should be spent.

When you adopt a pet, you are responsible for taking care of its needs, which includes medical care. If you are not willing to do this, I suggest that you give the birds back, give them away to somebody who will take care of them, or give them to a parrot rescue.

Sorry if I seem harsh, I just want what is best for the birds. Please consider what I am saying. If your bird doesn't go to the vet, it could die soon. Birds often don't show signs of illness until they are almost dead (or all the way dead). That's probably why you got them for a "good deal". :-( Did the previous owner tell you anything about their health?

OP
C

czgheib

Sep 11, 2010
I don't want to bother her right now, but i doubt this infection will get better on its own, I'm sure a trained person would just drain it, she doesn't look sick, she just has that marble size bump, so it leads me to think that the infection is only in her leg (contained so to speak), she is still walking on it, but we noticed it and now have to do something about it. I live in the bay area, next to San Francisco. I would rather give her away to someone who can help her instead of paying a vet. I bought them because they were incredibly cheap, and I had two before and they were lovely, I took care of them well, I kept their cage open and fed them very very well. I thought these would be the same, but now realize that the guy who sold them to me, knew her leg was infected and swindled me out of my money. I am not upset, I don't even want to call him, I just want to do the right think, he sold me a young one who isn't tame, and her, somewhat more tame, but her leg has been damaged somehow... I want to give her away to someone who can help her, and keep the little boy and find him a new mate just like him. Hopefully she will be ok. On a different note, I have family in lebanon that kill something like 30-40 migrating birds a night for fun, (disheartening I know). If this one dies, it's not supposed to be a big deal, but it is, my point is that lots of animals die, but this one happens to be in my circle, and I will try and take care of it best I can.

Last edited:

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
A vet would probably give antibiotics also, as a precaution. When the abscess is lanced, there is a chance that the bacteria from the abscess could get into her blood stream. For the record, I'm not big on antibiotics unless I think it is a serious condition, but birds hide their illnesses until they are very sick.

It may be in her best interest to give her away... Is there a rescue in the area?

OP
C

czgheib

Sep 11, 2010
A vet would probably give antibiotics also, as a precaution. When the abscess is lanced, there is a chance that the bacteria from the abscess could get into her blood stream. For the record, I'm not big on antibiotics unless I think it is a serious condition, but birds hide their illnesses until they are very sick.

It may be in her best interest to give her away... Is there a rescue in the area?

It's google time.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots

It's google time.

Thank you for doing what's best for the bird. Birds are pretty high maintenance as far as pets go. Definitely a lot moreso than dogs and cats. They need more attention, their bodies are very sensitive, and they are more prone to developing emotional problems. The reason I got one is because they are my favorite animal, but for most people I think dogs and cats are better.

If you can't find a rescue, then maybe you could find a new home with the financial ability to take care of it.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Not meant to make you feel bad but if you are going to be a guardian for a bird there are lots of expenses we must bear to enrich their lives, especially avian vet care and proper diet.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Yes, I'm sorry to say this is probably not something you can take care of on your own. It could be an abcess, or a tumor or something the average owner couldn't even guess at. I would see if the vet can take payments or if you could borrow the money from someone. If that isn't possible, turning the bird over to a rescue or giving it to someone who can pay the vet bill might be the kindest thing to do.

If you know a doctor or a nurse practitioner you might see if they are willing to look at it for you, but most aren't comfortable with things outside of humans. When my horse got kicked in the eye, one of my friends who is a nurse came over to help me with the initial first aid until the vet could come. But, of course she didn't have the knowledge or medications to actually sedate the horse and stitch it all up for me.

Nov 8, 2011
Parrots
One Sun Conure and Two Budgies
If you're in the Bay Area, you need to contact the folks at Mickaboo:

Mickaboo Companion Bird Rescue

I know several of these folks, and they'll make sure your birds get the care they deserve.

No offense, but it does sound like you're not quite ready to take care of your little guys just yet. Thanks for doing your best to make the situation right!

OP
C

czgheib

Sep 11, 2010
I sent them a message with my info if they want to proceed with this... I hope they respond.

JensFlock

Jul 31, 2011
South Carolina
Parrots
Eclectus,
Blue Crowned Conure,
Quaker,
Lineolated Parakeet,
Diamond Dove,
Star Finch,
Spice Finch
I think you should find someone to take the poor bird, and let him get the help he needs.
In your post you mentioned getting a new one, and personally I don't think you should do that right now. Even a healthy bird needs vet care at times, and I would hate to see you and your birds in the same situation again.

OP
C

czgheib

Sep 11, 2010
I think you should find someone to take the poor bird, and let him get the help he needs.
In your post you mentioned getting a new one, and personally I don't think you should do that right now. Even a healthy bird needs vet care at times, and I would hate to see you and your birds in the same situation again.

Getting a new one prior to these ones, these were my new ones, I understand what you're saying about the care these birds need. I will try my best to see to it that this one is taken care of promptly. Thank you everyone for all your help

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
The bird is probably better off in your care right now since you want to do the right thing and get it some help.
IMO , the origional owner wanted to sell them to the first person that inquired and not even tell you about the injury just so he could be "rid" of them.
The birds should definitely go to the vets office , the both of them.
So many times before I have seen techs "fall in love" with animals and take over their care and bills if the owners are willing to surrender them. That's how I ended up with a 13 year old dog :)
Call up your local vets and speak to the office manager and see if there is someone willing to take them in , it may be your best shot in getting the birds the care they need.
Good luck and please keep us informed ?

Most Reactions