Info on new GCC

RodeoCowboy

Sep 2, 2014
Okalhoma
Howdy,

I am purchasing a 4yr old male GCC conure his owner passed away and he was taken in by friends, he is tame and all but I've never owned a GCC I have had Sun Conures, Quakers, Cockatiels, Parakeets, WB Caiques, handled African Greys. So what do I need to know about owning a GCC. do you all think he will ever bond to me and is his cage big enough 66" tall 40" across 36" wide. What is the best dietary regiment for him, also could he ever be mixed with another bird are there any he would be suited to be with im wanting to acquire another bird in a few months after bonding with him. also about what size would he compare to in other birds in the avian world.

Attachments

• aviary.jpg
    aviary.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 248
  • ringo1.jpg
    ringo1.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 251
  • ringo2.jpg
    ringo2.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 217

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Ah GCC! They are too smart for their own good! Mine acts like a Macaw! Very smart birds! Don't let their size fool you! They aren't too loud, perfect volume for me! Very cuddly birds that love kisses! Just get him used to you and maybe read him a book and just talk to him, act like his daddy! They can be bossy! They are not as loud as a sun conure but is something scares mine she will scream like one! Your cage is a good size, but have him out for at least 5 hours a day and cuddle him for 1 hour. Don't force cuddles and let him make his own choices. It took mine 2 years to trust me all the way. Good luck!

Diet, fruits veggies pellets seed! That is good for them, no sauce or onions, avacdo, junk food, chocolate, alcahole or coffie. im sure you knew that but hey its good to have reminders!

And please don't mix him with another bird! They are brats and will bite and hurt the other birds! Their bite IS worse then their bark! Keep them in different cages!!! Please supply toys for him and it looks like you have! Good job!

Good luck, keep us updated! :D Congrats btw!

Last edited:

Phlox

Jun 16, 2014
I agree with almost all of the above...but some birds are happy with other birds. Don't assume they can be caged together, but don't count it out either. You just want to stick with a similar size bird if you want them to interact -- another green cheek, I have a maroon belly or try a black cap, etc.

They do get exponentially louder when you get 2 though, so keep that in mind!

ErichT

Jan 5, 2014
Media
Spring Hill,Florida
Parrots
Mango - Sun Conure
Kiwi- Green Cheek Conure
You Have been around enough fids to know they all have different personalities. My GCC loves me but is not partial to some of the other family members. She does live in a cage with my Sun Conure and they do well by each other. I think her bite is much worse than my sun. I think its the smaller beak that pinches more. Like Kq Fan says don't force the issue but try to be around as much as your schedule permits. My GCC has always been curious of my insanely great whistling ability and we play copy cat a lot. I'm their human mocking bird :)

OneHorseRanch

May 25, 2014
California
Parrots
One Green Cheek Conure, Sheldon. Hatch date: 7/27/13
Lucky bird!! I like the big cage. I found that the GCC are very active. This is my first bird and he started in a small cage and it just wasnt fair for me to confine him like that. I'm gone half a day at least so getting him a bigger cage was very helpful. Have fun!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts