Introducing bird to cats

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
I would not risk it. Yes, there are youtube videos of birds or rats playing with cats or dogs but cats are a strict meat eaters with a hunting drive and nothing will change that. My small dog wants nothing to do with the bird and I will not try to have them play together or anything. In fact I do not intend to get a cat myself since I have a pet bird.

Last edited:

chippy

Feb 16, 2013
Parrots
2 Indian Ringnecks, Tiki (DH's) and Pippin (mine), 1 lovebird, Gemma (DD's) and 1 in birdy Heaven... RIP, Wilbur.
sorry to hear that... any loss of a feathered friend is bad no matter what the cause :(
Thank you...I wasn't home when it happened, and I have tried really hard to not say any words of blame to my husband... he was devastated enough, knowing that just that one lapse in judgment ended so badly...

I have to believe (he's never given any details and I don't want them) that he died instantly.. because the alternative is too awful to even think...

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
This is clearly a touchy subject, but it is also a personal decision each fid/cat owner must make. At my house, I choose not to leave Jackie unsupervised if Henry is inside. Henry is 18 lbs, and due to his heftiness and prior back injuries he doesn't like jumping up on anything regardless of height- so I don't worry about him trying to jump up to get Jackie. He also shows NO interest in Jackie or even the wild fids. Buuuut.... He's a cat. Just because he prefers naps over doing kitty-cat things doesn't mean he wouldn't like a birdy snack if Jackie were to end up on the floor.
No matter how sweet or gentle they are, they still have instincts which could end in heartache.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
I trust my mother in laws cats with Merlin. 2 of them are very very old and unless Merlin flew into the cats mouth, he's safe enough.

The kittens however are a whole different ball game, they are in the prime of their life, hunter levels up and active, they will stalk and wait.

Here's a picture of them "leaving the bird alone" but watching and waiting, just for one of us to lose our attention on him.
18244_10152328724165508_1038856422_n.jpg

We knew that when we had Mister (a large cockatoo) the cats were terrified, he'd just have to squark and the cats would go running - kittens included.

So, I'd say at the moment with you having a small bird and young kittens that it's probably a bad combination. Having a cat in the same room as a caged bird, is a little different as long as you are still vigilant, but the flapping or movements of a bird usually will throw cats into hunt/prey mode and it just takes one foul swipe for it to all end in tears...

Approach with caution. I'd say let the cat in if the birds caged, let your cat get used to ignoring the bird and then see how you feel. Please don't rush it, a week of you cat ignoring your bird does not mean that your cat will forever ignore your bird.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
I think the "myth" started with cat/dog bites and the resulting infection.Topically i don't think it's an issue but as with any puncture wound, it's hard to clean and prone to infection.

Cats have a bacteria in their mouths (same as dogs, rats, HUMANS etc) that is normal but basically causes infection to whomever they bite. If you get a dog or cat bite, you'll generally get an infected type wound within 24hours if not treated. Usually reddish, swollen, tender to touch. Usually nothing comes of it in humans. It's a zoonotic bacteria (which means it can basically pass from any animal to any animal) - my rabbits have it too, so I should worry about them biting my birdies too technically! ;) Which is also why you shouldn't let your bird 'in' your mouth (there's videos of birds picking food out of their owners teeth etc)

This bacteria is fatal for birdies if it gets in their system (through bites, scratches)

So technically, the bacteria in the cats mouth (and so saliva) is dangerous because the infection can be a killer for birds, more so than any other animal likely to get bit. But yes, bigger worry is the teeth and claws. The infection can be treated with antibiotics 'stat' - so I'd be more worried about my birdy losing it's head/feet/wings etc.

So yeah, some clarification for you all. The bacteria isn't the biggest concern, but should be treated immediately.

OP
Tez

Tez

May 19, 2013
Oslo, Norway
Parrots
Mango - Lovebird <3
I consider myself well warned, and scared enough to keep them separated forever :D I much prefer my babies alive and well. I guess I've jut heard too many of the nice stories and was hopeful it might work out good. I also thought it might make a difference that my cats are pure indoor cats and has never hunted anything bigger than the odd fly that dares trespass on their domain.

Thank you for all the thoughts on this. I appreciate it. :D

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
I consider myself well warned, and scared enough to keep them separated forever :D I much prefer my babies alive and well. I guess I've jut heard too many of the nice stories and was hopeful it might work out good. I also thought it might make a difference that my cats are pure indoor cats and has never hunted anything bigger than the odd fly that dares trespass on their domain.

Thank you for all the thoughts on this. I appreciate it. :D

Instinct is instinct though! You're right to tread with caution. Hope it continues to work for you. :) The idea of pets getting along is nice, but sometimes it's just better not to.

We have our rabbit and Merlin and tried to get them to 'get along' but it got to the point we were worried about Merlin making her lose an eyeball, we liked her eyes so decided to just keep them separate. But, they never purposely went to attack each other so it is different. :p

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Mayden,

When Java the U2 was around, the cats won't even get near the bird room. But they don't get close to the macaw cage either. But one of my birds actually like cats as I think one of his previous owner had cats cause he meows. JoJo would meow at the cats and say come here kitty kitty....lol....He would only say it when he sees cats. But he freaks if he sees dogs, small dogs is ok but big dogs he freaks out and start to scream.

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
my cats are older, and one is overweight(the vert said he had some problem so not really a dietary issue. forgot what exactly) and show almost no interest in cooper. even when he flaps around they ignore him. so I leave them out when cooper is on his plagym. but I am ALWAYS there(or my mom/dad and they are just as vigalent) and he second cooper jumps off we are up to get him. just in case.

and I know this wasn't the question, but my dogs are good and bad with cooper. my one dog cares less. he has let cooper on his back before(with my hand on cooper the whole time) and generally just lays in the other room when I take him out. my other dog is different. she doesn't want to really "hunt" him, she just gets jealous of EVERYTHING and jumps around. so I am worried she would accidentally hurt cooper and because she is a 75 lb dog she would probably kill him instantly with anything she did. so she gets locked up :(

jacksmom

Banned
Banned
Apr 26, 2012
Here is a link with a write up by some well known vets on the bacteria...

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2134&aid=3305

Yes, just so, this can be dangerous to all animals and humans...but always fatal to birds due to their lack of immunity to it. I suppose it doesn't even have to be a cut to infect them, they could just "kiss" kitty after kitty washed himself, or even eat a flea while "grooming" kitty.

My apologies for getting sarcastic before, it is usually my defense when attacked. :) Since I obviously need to talk to my vet before "perpetrating internet myth". I wasn't even going to bother posting any useful info after that one, but other posters here inspired me. :)

My vet, while encouraging me to get a "wellness exam" for my macaw told me "There just isn't enough documentation on blood work for birds like this...dogs and cats have been being tested for so many years, we know almost everything there is to know about them. Birds, we know hardly anything about...especially because people tend to bring their birds only when they are sick."

I paid for a wellness test that day, and Jack was found to be anemic. Caught it in the nick of time! :) Point is, are we really entertaining the argument that if it was true that cats or dogs can deliver lethal bacteria to birds then there would be tons of vets online writing about it? Sorry, lol, but that is just absurd! Very few vets understand anything about birds at all, you guys surely know that! ;) The ones that do probably are not bored enough for that yet. :)

davisn456

May 3, 2013
Saint Albans, WV
Parrots
1 B&G Macaw - Frankie
Hopefully nobody will freak out, but while I don't "encourage" my cats to play with the bird, I do allow them to be in the same room. One of my cats was around when I had my tiels and she used to sleep on the top of the cage when she was a kitten. There was never any aggression. However, I am always conscious of where they are. Now, my B&G has pretty much established dominance over the cats, and they keep their distance. However, they do sometimes sit on the window sill together, and I've even held my B&G on one arm while one cat sits on my lap. I actually have to keep Frankie from biting the cats sometimes. I think she's more curious than anything else, but I definitely watch very closely. The first few days I had Frankie, the cats showed a lot of stalking behavior, and I spent a lot of time gradually introducing them to each other. Now, they seem to be ok and the cats really don't seem to care anymore. Frankie also lets them know with a screech if she wants them gone. She did so in the kitchen even this morning when I was fixing breakfast for the critters. It seems to be working so far.

NeverBroken

Aug 22, 2013
NY
Parrots
Lola the U2
As was said, it is personal choice, and always best to be cautious. As for me though, I have 7 cats and 2 dogs- and one U2. I have had all my cats since they were babies, and they are now all between 11-14 years old. 5 of them have free roam, 2 live solely in my bedroom. Most of them were also exposed to a relative's cockatoo when they were younger- and the bird would chase the cats, NOT vice versa, lol. I *know* my cats, and although I know there is always risk, I feel confident in leaving my parrot alone on her top of the cage playstand if I have to run to the bathroom or kitchen or something quick, even though my cats are in the room. My cats have been on my lap while Lola (the U2) has been sitting with me- they pay her no mind whatsoever. One of my cats who lives in my bedroom (as he doesn't get along with a cat who is free in the rest of the house), has shown predator behavior towards her, such as too much interest in her in her cage one time when he was out. He will never be left alone with her, as I can tell there is a higher risk.

Same with my dogs- one, I raised from a puppy, and she wouldn't hurt a fly. She just wishes all the other pets would play with her, but knows they won't and won't bother trying. The other has a higher prey drive and although she has laid next to me with the bird on my lap, and other interactions, when the bird flies (Lola is clipped but she can fly a few feet and to the floor when she is startled) I see this dog get very excited- too excited to trust her completely. So they will not be left alone together. My cats have also always been indoor only- that can make a difference. They never learned to hunt anything. A few of them do enjoy when moths come in the house lol, but I've even had frogs loose on the floor or deck, or out in the yard (with me right there supervising of course), and they've shown little to no interest. Same with my dogs actually, they've met frogs and lizards and were taught that they were our friends, I know it sounds silly, but they do listen to me.

So I think there are a lot of variables- how well do you know your other animals, what are their prey drives like, how have they reacted to the bird... keeping a very close eye on any interactions in the beginning (and really forever) to see what level of interest the pet shows. Also keep in mind I'm talking about a U2- I would not have a smaller bird in my house as I do believe then it is just too much risk. And as for her reaction- she hissed and tried to bite my dogs at first, in only two weeks that behavior has stopped and, although I certainly don't trust that she won't bite them, she is learning that they are not going to harm her and reacting accordingly.

But as with anything, there are risks- we as parents have to judge the risks and take action as necessary. I know even my cats are at risk with two dogs in the house, but again, one dog was raised with the cats and just wishes they would play with her, the other came from a home with cats but we watch her quite carefully with them just to be sure. The only time she's shown any aggressive moves towards the cats were twice when they startled her from sleep on the couch as the cat jumped over her to get to the top of the couch. We made it clear that was very BAD, and she has since gotten used to cats jumping around and over her. I still know I can never trust her completely as I do my other dog, and I would be absolutely devastated if something happened to any of my cats because of her, but it is a risk we take having multi-pet households.

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
I have 4 cats and when young if they looked at the bird cage they got sprayed with water. If the birds are out they head in the other way, they all know the spray bottle is out. Unlike my birds who see the bottle and beg to be sprayed.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Two things about cats and birds, then I'll stop.

1) a bird knows it's being stalked and it can suffer a fatal heart attack from continual stress or at the very least a shortened lifespan;
2) in microbiology we took random samples and placed them in petri dishes. They were sealed up and put into boxes so we could monitor thier growth over the course of the semester. One girl's dish overgrew in 2 days. It then began threatening the rest of our dishes in 2 more days and we kicked it out. The sample came from her cats claw.

So please, love your cats but don't offer advice on how safe or non toxic they can be.

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
i own 4 cats. and they are not allowed out with the birds. period. they get locked in another room when the birds are let out. it's a juggle, but i know the pain of losing a pet bird to a cat.

a few years back, we had a budgie. he was the sweetest little guy. i checked the livingroom for all the cats, couldnt find them, as i had assumed they were all in the bedroom. i looked in the bedroom and two of them were in there (at the time we only had 3 cats). i had thought the youngest cat was in there hiding, since both the two youngest hide often.

i looked under our couch, i looked everywhere before letting the birds out. not good enough. i had toby in my hand to clip his wings a little better. he flew out of my hands, and out came the youngest cat from under the couch--she had been hiding up inside the couch. she clawed him right out of the air.

the vet had to humanely euthanize him, they said his wound was too deep to heal properly, even with antibiotics, as it had nearly torn right through him.

you don't forget that. i should have checked the room more thoroughly. a clipped bird is a vulnerable bird with predators. those were two hard lessons i learned.

so, to this day, i take extra care in checking the room before any birdie gets let out. i make sure i find each cat before i let them out. i do not ever assume anymore.

so yes, its a personal choice, but don't ever do it assuming nothing will ever go wrong. the "it wont happen to me" attitude is the most cursed attitude to have. it can and does happen, no matter how friendly fido and fluffy are with the birds. freak things happen.

that is why i will never be one to suggest to allow both out at the same time. judge me how you will, i've beat myself up over it over the last 2 years as it is.

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
My cats live down stares in the cat room and I had one of my cats up stares for just a little while and she almost got my bird :0 I was scared to death thinking about how that could have happened worse and she is 9 and your cats are way younger so it would be even worse because they are so playfull and like to test their hunting skills. My sister lost her little girl budgie to my 9 year old cat when she was 6 and this time what happened with Lilo, was that the cats sleep inside at night (we live in the country) and I was getting her to the outside and I got distracted with the outher cat and Lilo, flew and Rosie got her in her cone but luckily she jumped out in time! So we are very very careful now!

Last edited:

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
This isn't directed at anyone specifically, just a general cats/birds interaction.

Unfortunately I think most people don't appreciate the dangers of something until it's too late, or a very close call.

Like I said in an earlier post, some cats may be able to be trusted (MIL's older 2. but even then he's never left uncaged or alone whilst the cats are 'active'), but especially kitties and cats with a high hunt drive... is it really worth the risk? If it does happen, can you afford the expensive vet bills that MUST come side by side with the attack?

We won't get a cat whilst we have birds as small as we do. Like Mikey said about Java and his cats, some bigger birds are 'big enough' to scare a cat away - but that is still little reassurance when the cat is naturally a skilled hunter. Your bird, happily playing on a playstand can quickly become kitty kibble if kitty wants to play.

Just remember that it is not your own life you are risking - it's your precious fids. If you are confident enough in your choice, I won't challenge you about it, but if there is even a smidge of doubt that your cat will want your bird, malicious intentions or not, then please don't risk it. Your bird isn't getting a choice in the matter here, think of them before your convenience of 'having to get all the cats out' etc.

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
The other thing I think people miss is that cats and birds of a certain size can get on perfectly well together and seem to enjoy each other's company. But, if you think about having two cats, or a cat and a dog, or two kids for that matter, however much they like each other sooner or later there's going to be an altercation about something and there's a risk of fur flying. Between two mammals, it's unlikely there will be much more damage than a bit of hurt pride - where as when the cat and the bird fall out and the bird gets caught by a claw, then the bird's life is in danger.

I have a 16 year old cat who's asleep most of the time and who's idea of hunting is to sit by her food bowl with an expectant look on her face. I don't worry about them being out together, but I keep a close eye on them and always intervene if they get close to each other. The cat is completely uninterested in the bird - she seems vaguely confused as to what the bird actually is - and the bird thinks the cat has preening potential so will occasionally sidle in the cat's direction but is quickly moved out of harm's way when she does. She generally keeps an eye on the cat on the occasions the cat is active, and she's flighted so can get out of the way if she feels threatened. I can't imagine having a clipped bird around a cat - seems to be stacking the deck in the cat's favour.

When the cat's time comes, much though I love them I don't know if I'd have another one because of the bird issue. But I'm comfortable that with responsible supervision and precautions my current situation is reasonable. I think it always comes down to an assessment of the individual animals and environment.

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
This isn't directed at anyone specifically, just a general cats/birds interaction.

Unfortunately I think most people don't appreciate the dangers of something until it's too late, or a very close call.

Like I said in an earlier post, some cats may be able to be trusted (MIL's older 2. but even then he's never left uncaged or alone whilst the cats are 'active'), but especially kitties and cats with a high hunt drive... is it really worth the risk? If it does happen, can you afford the expensive vet bills that MUST come side by side with the attack?

We won't get a cat whilst we have birds as small as we do. Like Mikey said about Java and his cats, some bigger birds are 'big enough' to scare a cat away - but that is still little reassurance when the cat is naturally a skilled hunter. Your bird, happily playing on a playstand can quickly become kitty kibble if kitty wants to play.

Just remember that it is not your own life you are risking - it's your precious fids. If you are confident enough in your choice, I won't challenge you about it, but if there is even a smidge of doubt that your cat will want your bird, malicious intentions or not, then please don't risk it. Your bird isn't getting a choice in the matter here, think of them before your convenience of 'having to get all the cats out' etc.

you hit the nail on the head here. this is the cold hard truth. cats are predators and its in their nature to hunt. in the end, it falls on the owner's shoulders to remember that and prevent that.

mixing species like this always carries a risk, but its our responsibility to reduce that risk so all can co-exist safely. after all, even a larger parrot, say a macaw or large too... sure, the cat might not pose as much danger, but the parrot also poses a danger to the cat! i'm sure fluffy's tail would be pretty mangled if tweety thought it was a fun toy! its about keeping everyone safe.

i failed at that, and i carry that reminder probably for the rest of my life. so, i dont want others to face the same thing, so i will always advocate against it. i like all the members here, it's a great place here. i dont want to see anyone sad or hurt because a fid is hurt. it doesnt just hurt the owner of the bird. it hurts every one of us, as we feel the same loss as well and sympathy for the owner and bird.

:)

NeverBroken

Aug 22, 2013
NY
Parrots
Lola the U2
Everyone has excellent points- luckily my cat's have practically no prey drive, although as with many animals, the smaller something is, the more it looks like prey- a few of them will happily go after bugs. I would never trust my cats with a smaller bird, but feel Lola's size and attitude along with the cats non-hunting, lazy personalities are a reasonable mix to allow them to co-exist. But there are definitely a lot of factors to consider.

In the end though, I know the risk of a freak accident will always be there- and it would be my fault, not theirs.

Most Reactions

Latest posts