Introducing bird to cats

laurend

Sep 27, 2013
Chicago
Parrots
Missy, my 14-year-old Umbrella Cockatoo
I know I'm WAY late to the topic, but my U2 lives to chase cats. Not many things excite her more than playing with cats, any cats.

Most of the cats in my home (between myself and my roommates, there are a few) keep their distance because Missy (my U2) is without a doubt the dominant one. A few do enjoy the interaction with her though.

When I first got Missy, I was extremely cautious about the two interacting, but I don't worry anymore. Missy is always in sight. I really think it depends in the cat(s) and bird(s).

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I understand that it is each person's choice how to let their pets interact, but I have lost a bird to a very gentle and "predictable" dog when the bird fluttered down from a perch to land right between the dog's paws. Honestly I think my furry sweety had killed my feathered charmer before she even realized what she was doing! It took one snap. After that, I won't risk it. As I am beginning my breeding program I am looking for a cat to join our home in hopes to help my babies be safer in their new homes. I feel that a frightened bird is more likely to act in a way that attracts predators than a calm bird, so I want them to be familiar with and comfortable around cats, dogs, different kinds of people, etc. I will be looking for an adult cat who is already declawed and VERY LAZY. Personally I do not believe in declawing but with so many unwanted cats, and the risk that goes along with cat/bird ownership, I will look for one who has already had it done. My cages are on sturdy stands, big enough that a bird would not be trapped if a cat reached through the bars, and they all have bird and cat and dog and fall proof locks. Like I said, it is each person's choice, but cats are hunters by nature, and sometimes that nature can kick in without warning. If you do decide that you want to go ahead and introduce your pets, please give some serious thought to leaving them flighted. They are too small to fight back, I feel it would be wisest to give them the "flight" option at least.

laurend

Sep 27, 2013
Chicago
Parrots
Missy, my 14-year-old Umbrella Cockatoo
Totally agree, SilverStage - I leave my girl flighted for that exact reason.

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
I never grew up with cats so I never owned one. Lupe loves cats and I felt bad that because I never wanted any and I knew she missed the cats she left behind. I thought long and hard and did a lot of research. I would tell her "no cats because of my parrot" (I only had Mihijo back then) but after many years and educating myself I finally felt I could add a cat without totally jeopardizing the lives of my parrots.

I wanted a cat breed that was docile and learned the Ragdoll fit the bill. It seems to me they pretty much bred out the predator instinct in them. This is one reason they should only be house cats and not let out side. They just don't have it in them to "protect" themselves or hunt. Ragdoll cats don't have the interest in hunting. They just want to flop and be rugs. LOL.

I got Julianna as a year and half old. She was not a full adult but she was not a baby either. She is very playful for a Ragdoll and loves the lazer light and will fetch her toys for you. She has a basket full of toys that are hers alone and is much happier here than she was at the breeders ( I don't have small children that handled her too roughly) Even with stacking the deck with me I worried for my parrots when I first brought her home.

One day I saw blood droplets in front of Diego's my Illiger's macaw's cage after I came home from work. The parrot didn't have a scratch on him nor could I find any wounds on Julianna but I wonder if that was because she has long hair. I could not find any no matter how hard I looked. I never figured out the source of the droplets but Julianna never messed with my parrots. I suspected that Diego called her in my voice to him (I have heard him do this) and taunted her with his tail feathers. When she reached up to touch the tail feathers he must of bit her. Julianna never goes near the cages at all.

Now that she is 5 years old she really has no interest in the parrots at all. Her interest is in me only. When I have Valentino on me while watching TV and he is lying on me or doing the RFM melt she will jump up on the couch and try to lay at my feet. If Valentino moves tward her she will jump down and leave. It is sad that she will lay by her scratching post which is by the couch I use while watching TV with Valentino and Mercedes. Rarely will she come to me anymore while I have Valentino on me.

If you want to have a cat with parrots do your research and find a cat that will be the best match for your situation. That is what I did and am pleased with how it is going.

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
A lady (breeder) we got birds off once bought her (teenaged) daughter a cat and after much research decided a Ragdoll was the best breed to have around birds. Haven't seen her for a while, but last I heard she was reinforcing the "no birds" thing to the cat with a water pistol:)

Another (lady) breeder we got our eccy off had baby & adult eccies, two dogs and several cats all in her loungeroom. No small birds though.

Most Reactions

Latest posts