Introducing fruits and veggies to a cockatoo?

PaperLantern

Jan 14, 2012
Northern Maine
Parrots
Chubby - Pineapple GCC // Furbie - Rest In Peace my little baby <3
Awhile back I had made a post about possibly rescuing an Umbrella 'too who is being badly neglected. Well it turns out my landlord doesn't want to let me keep her, he said I can take her in until I find her a home.

I found a wonderful sanctuary where she could have her own aviary. The guy is great with parrots and everything checks out fine. I will be taking her in for two weeks prior to bringing her to the aviary since its a really long drive to the aviary and the owner of the cockatoo wants her out NOW.

She has never had fruits or veggies. According to the owner she has been fed seed, peanuts, french fries, and popcorn. I want to introduce some fruits and veggies while I have her, because the man who runs the sanctuary feeds fruits and veggies along with a pelleted diet.

How do I go about this?

OP
PaperLantern

PaperLantern

Jan 14, 2012
Northern Maine
Parrots
Chubby - Pineapple GCC // Furbie - Rest In Peace my little baby <3
Bump!!

I really need advice, she will be here in a few days!

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
"Sparky" the Blue and gold macaw, "Jax" Red fronted macaw, and "Little Bird" peach faced lovebird
The mash is great and it offers lots of variety for a bird to try.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
If you offer her fresh fruit and vegetables on a daily basis, I would imagine she'd be eating them by the time the 2 weeks are up...

Also try sprouting some seeds... All my birds love sprouted seeds, and get them on a daily basis.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
If the guy runs a statuary he should be able to change the diet cause sometimes it can take more then two weeks to do. You can try and see what happens but it takes time and patience! You can not expect the bird to be able to accept in two week period.

Most Reactions