Introducing Kira

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
OP
P

PiaB

Oct 11, 2019
Parrots
Kira CAG
Ruby female Ekkie
Hi all Thought I come in and give you all an update on Kira . She has been wonderful she loves my hubby and still only tolerades me but she is not aggressive towards me . She has full flight feathers again and enjoys her little flight sessions through the rooms . Her diet has improved so much . I so enjoy having her around I envy the relationship to hubby but she choose and that is fine . She is getting an outdoor aviary for next year , she will be able to spend some time outside when weather allows. Much love to you all from Kira and me

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Happy to know Kira is doing so well! She was a rescue? Any idea how old she is? I remember when I got Smokey,(TAG)she was about six months old and came from a pet store. She was kind of an "impulse" buy,but I have always been a bird guy,having a budgie and hand rearing a common House Sparrow as a young boy,and knew I'd be owned by a parrot some day,and I knew it would be a grey :D.
She growled like a pack of mad dogs...she'd rip your flesh off if given half a chance :eek: She would only eat seed and cower in the corner when she saw a bowl of "alien" veggies and fruit...or pellets...and would NOT even consider stepping up.

About a year later Amy came into our lives...he was four months old at the time and will be thirty-one in April. At the breeder he was in a huge flight cage with about twenty other 'zon's of different flavors. As I walked around the flight,he followed me,climbing over his cage mates and stopping when I did. He'd look at me,and move his beaky as I talked to him,then follow me as I continued looking. The breeder said " you have been chosen!" I sat in a chair as the breeder removed him from the flight. Amy immediately went from yje breeders hand to mine and just looked at me as I talked to him. I placed him on my knee and he lowered his head. I gave the breeder a quizicle look and he laughed and said "he wants a head skritch!" After ten minutes of skritches Amy's head was laying sideways on my knee,eyes closed,and beaky open like he was in heaven lol. He came home with me that day :green::04:

Amy wanted to be best buds with Smokey,after all,he was accustomed to a house full of roomies! Smokes wanted NO PART of it. Amy ate everything and anything..pellets..fruits and veggies (banana and red grapes are still his fav) But the best part was he taught Smokey that there are better things to munch on. Within months Smokey eating,or at least trying,everything she was offered. She also love banana and green,not red grapes,she'd throw the red ones. Chicken leg bones she'd rip from my fingers.Trashing toilet paper rolls was a fun thing for her.Then she started to talk..seemed like she learned something new every day! "Hello! How are you??" when being uncovered. The ringing of the phone and a conversation in my mom's voice (r.i.p. mom) and a laugh and "ok good-bye" at the end. Smokes would yell at the cat "DAMN CAT..GO!!" again in moms voice.
However,she never like hands or step-up. Oh she'd sit for hours on my shoulder,gurgling in my ear,puking on my shoulder,removing my glasses or beak-banging my forehead,but don't touch me! :eek:

She passed away a few years ago at the young age of twenty-eight :( Sighhh...sorry I took over your post! It sound like you and your hubby have a wonderful companion and I wish you and yours many many..MANY happy years with Kira. BTW we LOVE photo's on this forum!! (hint hint)

Jim

OP
P

PiaB

Oct 11, 2019
Parrots
Kira CAG
Ruby female Ekkie
aw sorry about you loosing Smokey . I know the feeling I had a CAG many years ago he chewed the wall I had no idea this old house had something in the wall that made him so sick we ended up loosing him despite all the veterinarian effort :( His vocalbilary was huge and it was love at first sight between Colby and I .
We got Kira from a private person she has no history . I am making an appointment with the vet because she needs her check up haven't taking her wanted her to settle in first . I am looking to get another parrot that likes me I enjoy Kira but gosh I really long for interacting with a parrot . Kira is not aggressive towards me but she will not give me the time of day so to speak . She loves all the toys I make for her and her favorite is actually a toddler toy that counts and says the ABC's . I will post a pic from yesterday :)

OP
P

PiaB

Oct 11, 2019
Parrots
Kira CAG
Ruby female Ekkie
piab-albums-kira-picture22768-kira-looking-really-good-9-21-2020.jpeg

Here she is :) She only has 2 more scruffy tail feathers left her feathers have improved nicely . Pretty as can be <3

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
The look on her face is adorable! Like she is shyly saying "Hi there!"
Beautiful Kira..I so miss my Smokey. :eek:

Jim

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
I'm so happy for you guys, she is nearly at fully beauty but that tail will soon grow out. Aren't grey's awesome, totally adorable and so much more of a personality than I ever expected, remarkable animals :)

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
Always nice to see these "old" threads picked up in the nicest way again :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts