Introducing Piper, Blue-Throated Terror of a Macaw! Couple pics

_LB

Jan 27, 2014
Minneapolis
Parrots
Blue Throated Terror, Piper
You can see how much of a ā€œterrorā€ he is based on the pictures. :)

I like to call him ā€œterrorā€ because he has so much energy it can be difficult to convince him itā€™s a better idea to play with all his toys on all his perches/playstands around the house than it is to chew on light switches, follow us into the kitchen or bathroom, steal iPhones, poop on our robo vacuum (Piperā€™s arch nemesis in the house), and a whole slew [FONT=&quot]of other favored activities that get us to jump into fun action.[/FONT]

Heā€™s 9 months old now, and weā€™ve had him since he was four months old. Itā€™s crazy to think heā€™s only been in our lives for five months. It feels like heā€™s been with us for years and years.

We thought we were prepared for him. Like lots of other members here, we read lots of books, volunteered at a bird rescue center, and were pretty much consumed with the idea long before making the final commitment to expand our family. Nothing can really prepare you for what itā€™s going to be like, though. To be honest, we really struggled at first. While we didnā€™t expect a walk in the park, we were not quite fully prepared for the amount of time weā€™d have to spend on him. When we first got him, while he was the tamest, sweetest bird, he HATED cages, didnā€™t like water (heā€™d run or fly away from even the lightest mist), was a picky eater (needing us to sit by him during his meals or heā€™d lose interest and rather play) and WAY needier in a lot of other ways than we were expecting. The main surprise for us was that Piper didnā€™t just play nicely by himself right away. We thought with billions of toys everywhere, lots of Piper-approved areas (two cages, hanging atoms, t-stands, etc. ā€“ LOTS of places with lots of toys for him to choose between), heā€™d be able to occupy himself for periods longer than 10-15 minutes while outside of the cage. As we came to learn, though, we really had to teach independent play, and spend a lot of time re-directing when we could tell he was losing interest.

There was a big learning curve at first, and Iā€™m sure there will continue to be one as he matures. Things have gotten significantly easier now, however, that heā€™s matured slightly. He has a greater attention span now, and can play independently for longer periods. He can sometimes be out for several hours now with just ambient attention. Like the rest of us, though, he has his good and bad days.

I suppose I should briefly introduce the mysterious ā€œweā€ Iā€™ve been referring to. We have a flock of three: besides Piper, itā€™s me (Lisa) and my husband (Alex). Alex works long hours in the winter/spring, but I work from a home office, so Piper gets lots of out-of-cage time. He usually goes in his cage for a few hours in the afternoon, and sometimes for an hour or so in the evening if I leave the house to work out (run or the climbing gym), or to run other errands.

I joined the Forum to share the joy that is Piper, and to learn from other Forum members. I wasnā€™t a ā€œbirdā€ person before Piper, and nobody on my side of the family ā€“ and almost nobody on Alexā€™s side (besides his mother), had previously had any bird experience. So while they enjoy hearing about Piper, I need another outlet. :)

Here are some pics:

_lb-albums-few-piper-pics-picture10996-piper-ready-action.jpg

Piper ready for action!

_lb-albums-few-piper-pics-picture10995-piper-gets-cuddled-couch-before-bedtime.jpg

Piper getting cuddled before bedtime.

_lb-albums-few-piper-pics-picture10999-img-0034x.jpg

This seemed an opportune time to Piper for some tail preening. He spends a lot of time hanging from one toe on his toys.

_lb-albums-few-piper-pics-picture10998-img-0045.jpg

Piper wrapped up in his beloved towel.

_lb-albums-few-piper-pics-picture10997-piper-playing-new-toy.jpg

Playing with a new toy

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Oh my gorgeous goodness!!!! :eek:

What a SPECTACULAR macaw your Piper is!!!! :D

Let me wipe the drool off my face here for a minute....ok....that's better! :eek: Welcome to the forum, Lisa, Alex & Piper!!! :D

That was an AWESOME introduction!!!!

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
Awww...Piper is beautiful!

It's something isn't it...you can be a walking encyclopedia with knowledge about your "dream pet" and then you actually get one and realize...there is a MONUMENTAL difference between book knowledge and hands on experience. :D

Happened to me, several times :D

I'm so glad you are all finding your "balance" and things are going well.

I am completely enamored with Macaws...but...sadly...I'm afraid of them! Their beak is just entirely too intimidating to me.

Thanks for sharing!

Toni

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
I thought I would chime in with a cute macaw experience I did have once...

A dear friend of mine took in another friends Macaw while he was going through some life changes and didn't have the proper time or stable home for him. She and her family had Poco for 3 years before he was permanently reunited with his "daddy"

My friend and her family were completely entertained with Poco and his antics. Often while her and I were on our horse rides, she'd tell me numerous stories about him and the fun they were having with him. At that time...I wasn't much "into" birds...but enjoyed her stories none the less.

One day, she says...you HAVE to come over and meet Poco...he's just sooo cool!

So I did. It was the first time I had been face to face with a real live macaw and he was HUGE! He was out on his playstand where he spent most of his time apparently. Her Dad opened the woodstove to stoke the fire...and Poco..screams out...FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!! Until the woodstove door got shut! hahahaha...

I was sitting on the couch across the room from Poco and Poco decided he needed to get down and he started walking across the floor toward he kitchen...my friend says...watch this...Poco walks around the corner, at this point, I can't see him...and suddenly he starts calling...here kitty kitty kitty, here kitty kitty kitty! Like a dart, here comes their kitty from down the hall...haulin...thinking it's food time...to the kitchen and just as the kitten is ready to round the corner..Poco POUNCED him! Then the two of them rolled around on the floor for a few moments...totally playing!

If I hadn't witnessed it with my own eyes...I don't think I'd have ever believed it. They got done with their "wrestling" the cat went his way, Poco meandered back up to his play stand, completely proud of himself - for once again...out smarting the cat!

It's too bad it was before the dawning of video cameras in most every home...that video clip would have been priceless. :)

Toni

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
First of all let me say welcome! Piper is beautiful. Honestly they are one of my favorite parrot species to look at!

Sounds like you're doing very well in your "crash course" with birds:) - let alone a Macaw, let alone one of the more active Macaws! :)

I almost got one about 7 years ago, but thank goodness I didn't. With 20+ years bird experience (now in 2014), that would still be 'too much bird' for me!
I agree that ALL the research in the world doesn't completely prepare you to truly KNOW what it's like first hand. So, instead of the BTM, I got an Eastern Slender Billed Corella (cockatoo family). Rare here in the US, but more common in it's native Australia. Long story short, I couldn't keep her with my lifestyle then, no matter how I tried. She was NOT a clingy Too, but SO SUPER ACTIVE it was like keeping a pet primate (I'm sure no exaggeration). She clearly needed EVEN MORE stimulation than many other parrots. *(I'm not saying other parrots don't need much stimulation, just for the record that's not what I'm saying so that someone doesn't misunderstand that) ;) Anyway, she went to live with a lady with big aviaries, experience in trick training, and a large house, with much of her day devoted to training and mentally challenging large parrots and cockatoos.
Sounds like you're equipped though - with the hunger for knowledge, willingness, and lifestyle to make this feasible. I think you'll do just fine as he matures and you learn yet another facet of keeping parrots - hormones and sexual maturity. :) Lots of Mac people here for you too!

KimKim

May 5, 2013
Parrots
CAG
He is beautiful! I would love to have a BTM! I have even talked to a couple of breeders. I can't wait to see more pictures and hear more stories :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello Lisa and welcome! Piper is stunning! He also looks like a complete sweetheart:)
You came to the right place to talk about Piper all you want:) Looking forward to hearing more stories!

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
Siiiigh!!!! Another thread to increase my yearning for a macaw! ;)

He is absolutely stunning!!

Welcome to the forum :)

OP
_LB

_LB

Jan 27, 2014
Minneapolis
Parrots
Blue Throated Terror, Piper
Thanks everyone for such a warm welcome!!! Alex and I have been reading the responses with pleasure. This is really a wonderful community.

I've let Piper know he is getting such adoration. He is enjoying it greatly! :)

Most Reactions