is Adrian okay?

Jackiebuckdaily

Aug 21, 2015
Bangor, Maine
Parrots
Double Yellow Headed Amazon and Yellow Crowned Amazon
So as some of you are aware. I just inherited two beautiful Amazon Parrots, Rocky (yellow Crowned) and Adrian (Double yellow head). I received them last Tuesday and am blessed to be bonding with them. Adrian, however has been less talkative since when she first arrived and even her songs aren't with much feeling as before. Is she stressed, under the weather or maybe tired? Maybe too much change and excitement all at once. She's been sleeping a lot, making purring whining sounds. To me, in her sleep and while perching. How often should you bring parrots to the vet? I don't want to make a big deal out of nothing and wouldn't want to bring them yet again in a car.. after their previous owner drove from Paramus, NJ to Bangor, ME. Attached are pictures of Adrian and her poopies. I am new at this... so I am having over protective dad syndrome. Rocky is doing fantastic and is bonding with me the most. I am moving her off a seed diet slowly into pellets. Last night she Did go to bed late close to 1 a.m., she and Rocky refused to go to bed inside cage and woke up early around 9ish, I had to go to church. I put them to bed early today at 7 p.m. I think she's probably is tired. 20151018_191524.jpg

20151018_191328.jpg

OP
Jackiebuckdaily

Jackiebuckdaily

Aug 21, 2015
Bangor, Maine
Parrots
Double Yellow Headed Amazon and Yellow Crowned Amazon
Quick note. I don't know from experience how they looked or used to act with their previous owner. I guess loud all day. They are as of now, pretty quiet all day, while I am away at school and work. Here and there they will squAwk. They are loud when I let them out and rail them up, talking to them.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Hi there. Give both some time. When I brought Buddy home, the third day he came out of his cage, ran up to my shoulder, talked and whistled from day one but a few weeks in he became very quiet. I kept engaging him and he improved. He's never shared his full vocabulary or skills, he still surprises us. Like earlier this year, out of the blue he said "Love you!" I've been told he'll whistle and dance to "Rock Around The Clock" but he has yet to do it. My interactions with Buddy, saying good morning, having coffee time where I drink my coffee, he eats his almond on my shoulder, talking, whistling, head scritches, showers, eating (must share), saying good night with kisses and a good night head scritch. Be patient and persistent you won't be disappointed.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Poop looks healthy to me.

Honestly, vet checks for both wouldn't hurt if they haven't had them in a while! (or never!) It doesn't hurt to get a base-line done *if* they are healthy so you can always refer to it later on. If Adrian isn't feeling well due to an infection, then you'd know it's that and not simply stress of moving!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I find that weighing my birds on a regular schedule helps in situation like yours. Weight is an easy way to access these types of situations. Go with your gut feeling.

Last edited:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Adrian's droppings look "normal" to me..I know the vet would like to see my fids every 6 months,but I do it once a year. Amy has been in tip top shape every time she has visited her doc.
I don't clip her or Joneys arms or nails myself,preferring the doc to do it,and then they both get a general exam while being there.

When I adopted Jones in April,I took him and amy in for a wellness check and the doc said Amy was a little "fatso" :11: lol weighing about 579 grams to jonesy's 274.. I playfully call him "Bonesy" but the doc said he is at a good weight.

Rocky and Adrian being in new surroundings prolly have them excited and maybe even a little scared,but it sounds like you are making great progress with both in the short time you have had them.
Just give 'em time and tons of love and affection,which I know you already are doing ;) 'Zon's are wonderful creatures!

Jim

Most Reactions