is antibiotics and laying eggs safe?

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
to make a long story short, my female cockatiel is carrying eggs, she has not laid them yet, but I can tell she's got an egg there....yay!...however she is due to go back on Baytril due to an underlying infection that was not totally eradicated before, as per the vets instructions.

I spoke with him about 2 weeks ago, and instructed me to try the live bacteria, and if that did not get her back to normal, to do another round of Baytril.
he doesn't know that she is carrying eggs at this point.

(the full story in on some previous threads under cockatiels "Ruby" if you want the full story.

anyways, I am now wondering if I should hold off with the Baytril until after she has finished laying the eggs.
my question is can antibiotics affect the eggs? my guess is it does, but I wanted to get everyones input on this.
At this point I'm not even sure I should remove her from the nesting box, to administer the Baytril,which will be hell in itself, as the eggs may get damaged, and stress her out big time!
this would have to be done for the next 10 days
what to do??......I really need some help here

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I honestly don't know about antibiotics in a laying hen, but I personally would not want a bird whose health isn't 100% to breed, as it takes quite a bit out of them.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
I totally agree. Her calcium levels are great, and all her organs are functioning normally.she was almost back to normal after the antibiotics, and was fine for over a week,her poop was pretty good, so I put her back with her mate Dexter. She has shown absolutely no interest in mating what so ever....Dexter seems to respect that....up until now.
I'm positive she has eggs, and it is only a matter of time before she starts laying.
not much I can do now. She does not appear to be ill, not like before.
Now she is active, eating, drinking, not puffy, chirping and plays with her toys, it's just her poop she shoots out is mostly water...she almost shot some at me today....yuck.

crosue

Apr 12, 2013
philippines
Parrots
*6 budgies
*3 cockatiels
your bird's situation is just like about a human who is pregnant. we are advising pregnant not to drink any medications especially antibiotics (excluding ferrous sulfate and some drugs if they have hypertension, etc.) due to side effects or maybe adverse effects that may not be good for both mother and fetus which can lead to any deformities for a baby, not unless it is advised by the physician. some physicians prescribed medications to a pregnant but in low dosage which they include in the medication that a pregnant is suppose to take like ferrous sulfate, sometimes they just advise to stop the other medication and take the other one until a a woman returns to normal,just like if a preggy has fever or some sort of cough and cold,so it is really up to the physician.. just like human, it is not advisable for a hen to get medication not unless it is advised by your vet. since it is infection that we are talking about here, we must destroy first what's causing it till it returns to normal before we proceed to breeding.however we really cannot intervene with the hen in laying eggs, so a good thing to do now is let your vet be informed about her laying eggs so that he can advise you on what to do. though she returns back to normal, it doesn't necessarily mean that he is 100% healthy.. so ask assistance to your vet, and maybe he will run some laboratory exams for your pet and can conclude on what to advise you.. good luck anyway for the breeding and hope your pet will get well soon.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
that's what I suspected. She had been off the meds for over a week, actually almost 10 days, before her symptoms started to return again.....sigh....
during that time,(when she was better) my male had been trying to mate with her, but her constant refusals did not worry me with them together. what ever is wrong with her is not contagious. I would never put my male at risk. they were separated for quite some time while she was on meds. Once she returned to normal, I put them back together.
I'm wondering if she is just laying, and they are not fertile.
she appears to be quite healthy, certainly not displaying any symptoms she displayed the first time she was ill(she was quite sick). now her poop is runny, not pregnant bombs, runny, just like it was the first time, but displaying no other signs of illness.
the vet did say her urine is highly uric.
I will contact my vet and let him know, I just wanted to run it by on here first.
thanks for the input!

crosue

Apr 12, 2013
philippines
Parrots
*6 budgies
*3 cockatiels
hope she'll get better soon.. the vet will run sum exam for sure.. ill pray for your pet's good health, that's all i can do. and hope if she return to normal again, hope they'll have great offspring..wish the best for you

Most Reactions

Latest posts