Is aTurquoise Green Cheek Conure right for me?

bacemt

Dec 26, 2012
Hi all,

Few things, I live in a condo and work 24 hour shifts (generally only twice a week).

I am interested in a Turquoise Green Cheek Conure, but am concerned that he or she will not handle being alone for that period of time. I also have two cats, which will probably offer some entertainment to the bird... Also concerned about the noise level. The store told me they can entertain themselves and she/he would be fine, but I want more oppinions!

Any thoughts? I recently lost my sweet parrotlet after she got spooked and flew into a wall :( , never will I have a flighted bird again!

Thank you!

sarafigal

Aug 31, 2012
Media
Nashville, TN
Parrots
Queequeg (rescued BFA, 34)
Winston (rescued CAG, 25)
Cyrus (adopted GCC, 2)
Houdini, Peeper, and Little Blue--the Budgie Trio
Do you have a particular bird in mind? Every one is different. I have an adopted turquoise GCC, about 2 years old. He is nearly silent, very sweet and cuddly, rather timid, doesn't really play with toys per se. He spends time with three budgies (same cage) and an Amazon parrot (different cage). I think that my little Cyrus would be spooked by cats and would not tolerate a real lack of routine well. My happy budgies, on the other hand, are so happy entertaining each other I don't think they'd know if I was replaced by another servant-human. Maybe a pair of cockatiels would be another idea--delightful companion birds, and a pair would keep each other stable. Just some thoughts...

OP
B

bacemt

Dec 26, 2012
Thamk you Sara,

I did spend some time with both and I loved them both, I am just unfamilar with the green cheeks and just don't know if me being out for 24 hours would be tolerable to the bird. He was very very quiet and very sweet, but so was the little parrotlet! ugh...

sarafigal

Aug 31, 2012
Media
Nashville, TN
Parrots
Queequeg (rescued BFA, 34)
Winston (rescued CAG, 25)
Cyrus (adopted GCC, 2)
Houdini, Peeper, and Little Blue--the Budgie Trio
Would you getting a pair of birds that could share a cage? I would imagine that would make the longer stretches tolerable. They would be less dependent on you, perhaps--but healthier overall.

Most Reactions