Is being on the floor a bad thing?

Runzbarrel

Apr 21, 2015
Washington
Parrots
"Peaches" G2
"Squeaker" YNA
"Crackers" B&G
My husband is coming home this Friday for a week and he's concerned about Crackers playing around on the floor a lot. This morning I sent him a pic of Crackers shredding a box in the bathroom. And he said "Probably not a good thing to encourage". Crackers loves to be on the ground. And now that we've implemented some training he's quite happy down there and will step up without issue nowadays. I recently bought a nice hanging manzanita stand for him but have to wait for my husband to hang it. Is it a bad thing to let them be in the ground playing?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Only if they wander around on search and destroy missions...

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
No, birds in nature scavenger on the ground all the time. Unless you have animals that could hurt him or don't watch where you step, I see no problem with him playing on the floor.

OP
Runzbarrel

Runzbarrel

Apr 21, 2015
Washington
Parrots
"Peaches" G2
"Squeaker" YNA
"Crackers" B&G
Well that's what I thought. As long as I close all the doors and provide something for I'm to shred he leaves my cabinets alone ;)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I see you have large birds and brightly colored or otherwise in contrast with the color of the floor? Should be fine unless there are obvious dangers like predatory pets and electrical cords, 'that valuable antique table', etc.

Just as a word of warning to those with smaller birds, unless they walk very fast on the ground (as in budgies or grass parakeets), I'd be extremely careful. I especially don't like my Pois on the floor. Griffin tends to do this, although he's starting to learn the floor is strictly off limits (unless he slips off a swing or whatever), but the floor on purpose is a big no no because he is just too small and carpet colored to risk it.

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
Griffin tends to do this, although he's starting to learn the floor is strictly off limits (unless he slips off a swing or whatever), but the floor on purpose is a big no no because he is just too small and carpet colored to risk it.

That is a really adorable picture you just painted in my mind... "carpet colored" Griffin all camouflaged on the floor, smirking as he goes about his business sight unseen...

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I don't let mine on the floor because the dogs bring in all kinds of stuff from outside that I might not immediately notice. Example, my sweet Maltese has brought in possums, rats, roaches, rocks, cicadas, etc., But otherwise I can't see a problem with it.

OP
Runzbarrel

Runzbarrel

Apr 21, 2015
Washington
Parrots
"Peaches" G2
"Squeaker" YNA
"Crackers" B&G
This was him this morning ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 174

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
The biggest risk to parrots on the floor is human feet. Just be sure everyone is well aware of where he is (though, as Julie mentioned, a big bird is a lot harder to miss than a little one). Also, put the dogs and cats in their kennel, another room or in the backyard when the bird is on the floor. Predators instinctually go after prey (even if it's a 'playful' thing) and predatory animals + prey animals is just never a good mix.

Also, being on the floor without supervision can be potentially dangerous as well as the bird potentially destroying something you'd rather them not.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
My two waddle around the floor birds are my lilac crowned amazon and my CAG. The rest of my birds tend to not want to be on the floor...

Maggie will come down to play.

OP
Runzbarrel

Runzbarrel

Apr 21, 2015
Washington
Parrots
"Peaches" G2
"Squeaker" YNA
"Crackers" B&G
We don't wear shoes in the house and our dogs don't come inside either. He is always supervised. This morning that was his play time so I could clean the kitchen. But I kept an ear on him. He doesn't venture outside of the bathroom too much. He loved it in there for some reason.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I do not allow my fids on the floor, mainly because I'm quite fond of my baseboards and other items that would end up looking like toothpicks. :54:

Additionally I'm petrified that if they were on the floor, and someone would unexpectedly ring the doorbell, one of my dogs would surely run the birds over - or tread on them while trying to investigate who's there.

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
I don't allow my fids on the floor, although they sometimes like to go there. The reason is that we walk in every day with our street shoes to the bird area, and it's not always that clean. And also there is a hazard of stepping on the bird.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I've seen a lot of people do it successfully, but I personally don't allow my birds on the floor. This isn't so much due to the cleanliness factor, as birds outside would be landing on the ground no problem and my floors would win that contest hands down. I actually train them this way to avoid issues that might arise.

It's not as likely that I'd accidentally step on one of my ekkies as it might be for a smaller bird, but when I consider how easily my wife's dearly departed cat used to find his lynx-like body underfoot, I recognize that it could conceivably happen.

Also, it triggers the nesting instinct something fierce in Maya. Put her down on the floor and she'll race immediately for the nearest couch that she can scoot under and claim as her own. When that happens, she won't come out for anyone but me. Problematic if I'm not home. So I just nip the problem in the bud and make the floor off-limits.

Most Reactions

Latest posts