Is it a bad idea for a single person to get a parrot?

lostcause13

Apr 2, 2013
Texas
Parrots
Cockatiel
I have really wanted a macaw for years, and soon I'll be graduated with a steady job and stable income, but my time may be a factor that it seems will be a problem. I'm single and in the army, it's more or less a 9-5 job a lot of times, but it wouldnt be uncommon for me to have to leave for days at a time for training. It seems like parrots of any sort can't really handle this. Most of the advice I've gotten is that I should wait until I'm married to get a pet as someone will be around on a much more constant basis than me to take care of him. How much time do I need to be able to commit?

Last edited:

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I agree, if you plan on making the military your life. Birds need interaction at a minimum of 2 hours a day on aq regular basis. Now, this isn't written in stone. You could get a bird if you have someone else trustworthy to care for it while your away. The amount of time spent with a bird depends a great deal on how it was raised.

Take both my birds. They were second hand birds and came from homes that either one or both people were retired. Now they are in my home where both of us are retired. I couldn't see them leaving here and going to someone who works long hours or is out of town all the time because they aren't used to that type of care.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I don't think so much the fact your single is an issue, rather military life would be a potential major problem with a bird. It's not uncommon to see parrots being rehomed because their owner got deployed and no one would take the bird in temporarily until the owner returns. This is a devastating situation for both the bird and owner, with no good solution (unless you have a relative or friend who can take your bird on short notice for you).

I think wanting a macaw is a great goal, but any pet probably isn't right for you at this time in your life. I think it would be wise to hold off until you are either finished with your time in the military or get married so you and a bird can form a strong relationship where neither suffers. In the meantime, you can always volunteer to help at an avian shelter to gain some good experience, help some very deserving birds out, all without the commitment of bringing one home quite yet.

OP
lostcause13

lostcause13

Apr 2, 2013
Texas
Parrots
Cockatiel
Thanks for the advice kiwi! I hadn't thought of that, is there a place on the forum where I can find one based on where I'll be stationed?

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Oliver, Male (SI) Eclectus
I left my parrot for three days with my family and he was devastated and didn't say a peep the entire time, so I can't imagine in your case when you leave how your parrot will be okay. I'm in agreement with the others, I'd wait until you have more people around to interact with your bird.

Most Reactions

Latest posts