Is it just me?

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Nigel is my 11 month old CAG. I've had him since he was 3 months old, just weaned. He's done great. He eats, is now talking, hangs upside down, flings poo and slings mango.

He was scruffy looking when he came home but quickly learned the value of showers and looked better just with good food and showers. Fast forward some months and as expected his first hard molt hit. I am hoping in time his scruffiness will be replaced with new feathers. He drops feathers, a lot of them, sometimes 8 or 10 a day. Then he will go a couple of days and not drop but 1 or 2. I've checked the feathers, they're not plucked or chewed. But he looks scruffy indeed. No bald spots save for a small one on his head he's always had since he came home and underneath his wings a small bare space that's also always been there. Seems to be a bit better in both spots tho.

What kind of made me have a question mark over my head is finding a couple of pin feathers in my hand when we were just playing. One was the other day, I was scratching his neck and a pin feather fell into my hand and then today the same thing. I've not had a baby grey for 25 years so I can't remember if this is normal or not. Seems a bit off.

Here in Malawi there is no avian vet anywhere. In fact, it's not easy to find any kind of vet.

He's acting fine, he's happy, eating and making noise otherwise, flings poo and laughs.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Near everything is normal and when those dried crumbly pins feathers present themselves, preen them! Its a wonderful bonding for both of you.

The tiny bare spots, at this point just keep an eye on them.

Happy Parrot, Happy You!!!

Always great to hear from you!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I do recall when Smokey molted she looked like she just rolled out of bed :rolleyes:

Jim

OP
LeaKP

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Thanks I think he's ok. It's not the outer covering that came out in my hands but an entire pin feather. I suppose it's ok for that to happen.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thanks I think he's ok. It's not the outer covering that came out in my hands but an entire pin feather. I suppose it's ok for that to happen.

Since you did not indicate if there was any blood and knowing you, you would have clearly made that statement. It is likely that your 'young' and very busy guy more than likely loosened it while playing and it fell out as you handled him.

So, yes, its okay!

OP
LeaKP

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Here is one. He seems to be doing better, lots of pin feathers

Attachments

• IMG_2144.jpg
    IMG_2144.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
Nigel has the typical happy CAG face.

Perjo will be one year old next week, and I've been waiting for her to have a "hard" molt. She's dropped a ton of small white down feathers, and her share of larger grey flight feathers, all happening from mid June to now. No bare spots, she seems very happy, but I too am kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop in regards to completing her molt. She still hasn't dropped her flight feathers that were clipped way back in March when I took her home.

She's is consistently preening, but never seen a sign that she's a plucker.

She's another kind of ucker once in a while but that is a different story.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
He is looking well cared for and one happy guy.

Molts are physically and mentally difficult on Parrots. Expect wide swings in emotions, from 'Don't Touch Me' too, Please softly work my pins .

OP
LeaKP

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Thank you all. Nigel has even dropped a few red butt feathers (let the readers understand why butt feathers are significant now).

He is sweet but sore with pin feathers showers really help.

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
Is there a significance to the red feathers at this age?

Perjo has lost a handful in the past 4 months.

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
What a great looking guy. Thank you for the picture. Nice to see and hear about what I'm in for. LOL

OP
LeaKP

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Is there a significance to the red feathers at this age?

Perjo has lost a handful in the past 4 months.

The new red feathers will be brighter and lose their dark ends,

OP
LeaKP

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Well Nigel is looking better. His feathers are filling out more around his neck. You can actually see the new feathers in contrast to his other feathers. Now he seems to be losing larger feathers, several per day. He's still a bit scruffy but I feel persuaded this is the hard molt I've been waiting for,

He's not mean but new pin feathers sensitive so I have to only gently scratch his neck. Poor baby.

OP
LeaKP

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Nigel's feathers are growing in nicely, especially noticeable on his neck. His tail feathers are also turning that beautiful bright red. He was feeling fluffy tonight and posed for picture.

Last edited:

Most Reactions