Is it possible for my bird to change his bond from my brother to me?

yuko

Jun 18, 2018
US
Parrots
I have one green cheeked conure, and her name is Yuko! She is about 7 - 8 years of age!
My brother, my bird, and I all live in the same household but today i noticed something. I'm the one who takes care of my birds food and water, fixes things in his cage like when his toy falls down, I clean up after my bird, and spend all my time with him. I started feeding him fruit and veggies when I joined this site because I read all about it, so I treat him with his favorites all the time. Although, he's bonded to my brother not me. We've had him most of his life, but since he was my brothers he bonded to him. But today when my brother picked him up, he puffed out all his feathers and tried biting my brother and becoming all aggressive and defensive. But within a matter of seconds my brother calmed him down. He spent less than a minute with yuko. My brother really only spends time with him when forced to and keeps it pretty minimal. (<< most of the time) Yuko lets my brother pick him up anytime but the situation usually goes as I just described. Yuko rarely lets me pick him up so i don't force it because i want to have trust between us... and i was petting him today on top of his head and kissing his wings and he rubbed his face onto mine sometimes. With all this, is it possible that my birds bond can switch from my brother to me? (sorry for any grammar mistakes i wrote alot and was too lazy to look over it)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Yes, it's possible for birds to choose other people they prefer to be with.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Its actually not at all uncommon for a bird to choose a non-primary care member of the household. I've heard of it a lot actually right here on this forum.

I wish I knew why parrots do that. I almost wonder if the non-primary care people secretly 'sneak' treats to the parrots when the primary isn't looking.

OP
yuko

yuko

Jun 18, 2018
US
Parrots
I have one green cheeked conure, and her name is Yuko! She is about 7 - 8 years of age!
thanks guys!

OP
yuko

yuko

Jun 18, 2018
US
Parrots
I think it really is possible! He lets me pick him up a lot now, kiss his wing and face, and rub faces :)

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
I think it really is possible! He lets me pick him up a lot now, kiss his wing and face, and rub faces :)

Hooray!!! I'm so glad to hear it!! I think your little Yuko is smart to choose you. Sounds like you care a lot for the little guy. Keep updating us, I would love to hear how things go with you and Yuko!! :D

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Magnetism is strange. And so is parrot attachment, but...

Win him over!
Most parrots are little egotists. Love on him; give treats; pay attention to all his quirks...

Estrange his affections!

Most Reactions