Is it safe to pay with money order?

jasper19

Supporting Member
Aug 13, 2014
North Dakota, USA
Parrots
Congo African Grey "Angel"

Muloccan Cockatoo "Bahama"
So I called the guy back and ask him about why he doesn't use PayPal. He told me that he did but that he was having problem with PayPal so he hasn't use it for awhile. But that if I was serious he can setup a new paypal account to do the transaction as long as I'm willing to pay the 3% fee. As a buyer I would rather pay a 3% fee and be protected rather then getting scam. But does paypal protect the buyer if you don't receive the product? I'm still not going to buy from him but in case someone else in the future run across his ad and had the same question or problem. I've talk to him sounds like an honest guy knows his stuff and I Google his phone number and it came up in a few Florida ads but it's just the payment issue that pushed me away from buying. I think if he offered paypal when I first contacted him I would had bought the baby right then. If he's an honest breeder he just needs to make a real website and better payment option
(I am going to buy my caique from Wings Aviary now)

Yes paypal would be the safest way for you in this scenario....it is usually a bad idea to accept paypal if YOU are the seller. The seller can get scammed because they will ship the product, then after the fact the buyer can say they never got it and paypal a lot of the time will refund the money.

So i would be ok being on the buyer side using paypal, they are all about protecting their buyers....

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
So I called the guy back and ask him about why he doesn't use PayPal. He told me that he did but that he was having problem with PayPal so he hasn't use it for awhile. But that if I was serious he can setup a new paypal account to do the transaction as long as I'm willing to pay the 3% fee. As a buyer I would rather pay a 3% fee and be protected rather then getting scam. But does paypal protect the buyer if you don't receive the product? I'm still not going to buy from him but in case someone else in the future run across his ad and had the same question or problem. I've talk to him sounds like an honest guy knows his stuff and I Google his phone number and it came up in a few Florida ads but it's just the payment issue that pushed me away from buying. I think if he offered paypal when I first contacted him I would had bought the baby right then. If he's an honest breeder he just needs to make a real website and better payment option
(I am going to buy my caique from Wings Aviary now)

While I do not believe that lack of web skills means lack of character, this is a very good point. As a business owner I do a lot to make it clear I am a legitimate company and not some yahoo out to scam you. This includes local business listings, being a registered business, paying taxes, having a web site and business cards, be set up to take credit cards, have a set price list and contract, etc. I am not saying you are a bad breeder if you don't have the things or a good breeder if you do, I am just pointing out that a huge part of customer service is making the customer feel at ease. You have to earn trust, it is not due you just because you are trustworthy.

Tosca

Banned
Banned
Jan 26, 2013
Congrats on deciding which type of bird to get. I agree with the others' advice. Find a breeder closer to home and visit in person. Even if the person in FL is legit and sends you a bird, what if it has problems with its health? You have no way of recouping your money unless you go to court in his state. Please keep looking. Check out Craigslist or Ebay Classifieds. How about bird fairs? You may find a breeder through a vendor. You have lots of options.

Most Reactions