Is leek safe?

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots
i got 1 green cheek cinnamon,a rose crowned,a yellow sided and a hybride from the first 2

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
I bought a bag of leek today for my birds.
But is it safe? i didn't see it in the safe list but also not by the avoid section.
I already made a week worth of salads with leek in it.

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
I'm not sure but it a similar family to onion so I would be wary. Do some googling?

OP
hacatta

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots
i got 1 green cheek cinnamon,a rose crowned,a yellow sided and a hybride from the first 2

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
I did but i didn't found much,i do know know that a leek parrot exist:rolleyes:
But shouldn't it be put on the list then?

Last edited:
OP
hacatta

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
Exactly why i asked^^
But it is not just with leeks it's with kale Brussels sprouts raw tomatoes.
Does look like i'm going to have to take the raw tomatoes out and cook them.
Everyone says something different.

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Well, my fids have been getting Kale, Brussels Sprouts, and sometimes some tomatoes, and they've never had any ill effects on them.

AND I use leeks in my chop mix whenever I have it available. I was always under the impression it was fine. :eek:

OP
hacatta

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
I can't make anything of it.
Most things are not even usefull.
Most is about how people eat it not birds.
Quess i'm going to wait with their salad tommorow.
At this rate i'm too scared to give them anything.
There won't be much left of their saled this week

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I also have always fed kale and occasionally brussel sprouts to my guys with no ill effects. Some site say that kale is super healthy and good for them, and others say it's dangerous.
Makes it really hard to figure things out.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I also have always fed kale and occasionally brussel sprouts to my guys with no ill effects. Some site say that kale is super healthy and good for them, and others say it's dangerous.

What? Huh? Kale bad? Why is it considered bad? Is it the calcium absorption issue found in many healthy dark leafy greens?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)

What? Huh? Kale bad? Why is it considered bad? Is it the calcium absorption issue found in many healthy dark leafy greens?

The sites I found that said it was dangerous didn't even have a reason...just listed on the not safe lists.

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
I figure if someone says it's safe it can't be that bad? I'm sure a lot is just people being way too cautious. I guess in moderation. It's a hard one but the way I see it is there is only so much babying one can do till there comes a point you just need to get on with it. Obviously everyone wants to do the right thing by their birds and people all over the place feed these things without worry so I would try not to over think it. It all get so confusing the more you read!

OP
hacatta

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
A book i bought they say that kale,Brussels sprout an green beans should always given cooked.
She does mention leek but not that it should be cooked.
This is written by a woman that has studied the diet of parrots for 10 years.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I think if anyone googles or reads enough information, they're bound to find discrepancies. In cases like that, I go with the majority of the most reputable.

OP
hacatta

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
What do you think in case of leek is?ow and raw tomatoes?

OP
hacatta

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
What do you think in case of leek is?ow and raw tomatoes?
guess i'm just going to give them the salad.
I think that as long you don't give them a whole bowl it's okay.
I too used raw green beans and brussel sprouts in my chop mix.

Last edited:

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Leek and onions do belong to the same family, but I'm strongly allergic to onion (symptoms of food poisoning even if I only eat a tiny speck of it) and can eat leeks till the cows come home. Dunno why, though! I also know they feed leeks to the gorillas at Taronga Park Zoo. This makes me think there can't be as much serious alkaloid in leek as there is in onion. Actually, it would be interesting to ask a zoo what they feed their parrots. If anyone has researched a good, balanced diet for specific species, it would be zoos...?

Most Reactions