Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Actually, it would be interesting to ask a zoo what they feed their parrots. If anyone has researched a good, balanced diet for specific species, it would be zoos...?

That's a great idea, Trish!

OP
hacatta

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots
i got 1 green cheek cinnamon,a rose crowned,a yellow sided and a hybride from the first 2

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
My va actually worked in a zoo for 25 years.
I was thinking of an check up next month.
I will make a list what to ask.
or maybe i can send a mail.

Last edited:

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Hacatta, that would be a great idea! Will you please post the answers here when you get them? I think we'd all be very interested to hear them. :)

OP
hacatta

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots
i got 1 green cheek cinnamon,a rose crowned,a yellow sided and a hybride from the first 2

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
Looks like they don't do mail.
Now to think how to call them without sounding silly.
Say could you ask the va whether or not they can have leeks kale...
That's gonna be fun:p

OP
hacatta

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
Ok update:
Just called the Va and she says they can't have leeks ,brussel sprouts and kale
I also feel i should mention that their clinic is in the biggest bird shop their is.
It s about 4000m and own a large flock of rescue birds that she oversees.(and other special animals).
Even have a whole quarantine space for the new arrival of budgies before they go for sale.
She also works part-time at bird rescue centers.
So if she says that then i'm going to believe her andend this headache by just not giving them.

Last edited:
OP
hacatta

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
I do have to admit they will still get brussel sprouts just not that much.
I too have never seen them get ill of it.
but i will not use leeks anymore because of the close relation with onion.

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
OK I have to admit I am confused also. I have fed birds in my care kale for over 20 years. I have never experienced any complications from it. I have never fed brussel sprouts or leeks as I have always found conflicting info on their safety. Now I might need to rethink the kale ? Gosh now I will have to come up with new recipes and ideas.

Not to hijack this kale / leek discussion...... but how many others feed their birds fish ? The fish I feed is fresh caught from my pond, cleaned and cut into filets by my sweet sons, then I steam it in the oven and usually serve it with a fresh mango salsa I make for the birds. They devour it.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I've given my conure little nibbles of wild salmon that I baked. He was like "meh". My budgies won't touch it...but they will nibble chicken.

OP
hacatta

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
I don't feed them fish ,mostly because i'm vegetarian.
Not because i don't think they can't eat it because of my principles,but i have no idea how to prepare them or when they are safe to give,since i can't taste it first.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Don't know about leeks, but both my birds love brussel sprouts. Rio also like tomatoes too

Last edited:

Selphie Nutter

Jan 16, 2024
Parrots
Yellow crowned amazon
Exactly why i asked^^
But it is not just with leeks it's with kale Brussels sprouts raw tomatoes.
Does look like i'm going to have to take the raw tomatoes out and cook them.
Everyone says something different.
Raw Tomatoes are fine, as long as you remove all the seeds from them first.

Most Reactions

Latest posts