Is meme eating his toy?

Reem

Aug 20, 2015
Saudi Arabia
Parrots
Meme Moi, Meo Meo Moi (Galah Cockatoos)
First me and meme want to thank you all for helping us, thank god meme is doing great!
Thank you so much Plumsmum2005 for asking and reminding me to post an update :)

when I went to the vet two days ago and she suggested that meme could've eaten some of his toys and that's what causing him to vomit, I got really scared of toys because eating some might be deadly so I watched him every time he played since then.

Now in this video does he look to you like he's eating his toy?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTbWKgPAPoA"]Is he eating his toy? - YouTube[/ame]

Considering that he might accidentally eat some of them please tell me what materials are safe/not safe in birds' toys?

I don't get him any toy that has steel parts.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Hello Reem good to hear from you again and the bad news is I think the little tinker is eating it.
Could you post pics of his toys to have a look at if you dont mind. I dont understand why he's eating his toys, hungry??
Plum is a right piggy but he doesnt eat his toys.

OP
Reem

Reem

Aug 20, 2015
Saudi Arabia
Parrots
Thanks all, I removed all his toys at the moment except the wooden ones, I think I'll start making his toys myself only then I will be sure his toys are %100 safe.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Hi Reem the thing that bothers me is why is he eating it? Plum has similar toys and so does my holiday RB2 but they dont ingest the materials just destroy them. Possibly up his food and / or treats a little see if makes a difference? best wishes to you and hugs to Meme.

OP
Reem

Reem

Aug 20, 2015
Saudi Arabia
Parrots
Hi Reem the thing that bothers me is why is he eating it? Plum has similar toys and so does my holiday RB2 but they dont ingest the materials just destroy them. Possibly up his food and / or treats a little see if makes a difference? best wishes to you and hugs to Meme.

I've been observing meme's behavior for a long time and came to a conclusion that he thinks he is a human or just want to act like one.

I think that's why he is ingesting the toy maybe because he sees us eat everything we hold in our hands.

I'm very sad to say that he doesn't like toys, maybe doesn't understand them?

Meme is a very friendly bird and he LOVES his family members and gets really angry when one of us leave the room, and really sad when left alone (or with one person) for several hours. he likes to be with at least 3 people at the same time.

What makes me sure that he thinks he is a human, I've rescued another galah a week ago and he doesn't have a problem with him even on his cage (Meme's) but what really bothers me that he doesn't want to get to know him and he wasn't very excited when he first saw him, unlike Meo he tries so hard to get to know meme, all he does is block Meo when he comes near him.

I've been very upset because of his behavior and the way he's attached to us is not healthy at all, but now he has a bird friend, I thought he would get excited and change but sadly he is not changing.

Any tips?

Last edited:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Hello Reem, yes this does happen unfortunately. Probably best if you don't stress Meme by letting the new bird Meo? on his cage. Do separate play times if possible, you do not want any injuries.

What are the birds ages?

Plum doesn't relate to other birds in terms of communication or companionship either only us and he does get very jealous so watch for this - if you hear the Galah screech, that's it. "I'm not happy!".

If you want to lessen the human hold on Meme that will mean slowly reducing the amount of time he has with people which he won't like very much by the sound of it. Provide him with toys/activities for example Plum likes swinging things - bell and rope ball which he bashes hell out of and you can hear him in the other room squeaking with delight. He isn't that much for chewing things though other than door frames!! Would he like a swing or Boing for climbing about, foraging toys to hunt for treats, if he is bored he will want you. If the two can play near each other in their cages a bond may form and they do watch and copy each other.

So to sum up leave them for a period each day together, no humans, each with toys/activities to keep them busy and see how it goes. IMHO it will make no difference to Meme, he wants you. At the end of the day it might be better to look for another suitable home for Meo if he craves birdie friends, or see if you can get him a birdie friend that he gets on with. Obviously you need a fair amount of space to house another bird etc.

BTW did this new bird come from a known source I am a bit concerned re the need for quarantine to protect Meme?

Last edited:

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
I can't add anything to answer your question. I wanted to let you know meme is what we call the kids grandma.

Most Reactions

Latest posts