Is my present safe?

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
My kids look as though they have spent quite a bit of cash on an air purifier for me for my birthday but I don't think it even occurred to them to ask if it is bird safe.

I daren't even unpack it and as it's quite late here in the UK now I just wondered if anyone just happened to know. Tomorrow I'll try and track down some tech support on it. It's a Philips Series 3000 Aerasense. They'll be gutted if it's the wrong thing and harms Syd - and I didn't have the heart to mention it to them when they presented it to me.

Anyone got one or know anything about them?

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Wow, good question. I agree about letting it stay boxed until we know for sure!
I suspect it's just fine, but let's hear from a couple of our bio-tech-y/safety-minded folks here. Do let us know if the support workers have input. :)

WakaWaka

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Baltimore Maryland
Parrots
Arika - Blue & Gold Macaw
I googled the model number. The product description only mentions a HEPA filter and an air quality monitor. That is good.

I did not see any mention of electrostatic, ionizer, or UV methods that could possibly generate Ozone. From most of the reading we've done, the Ozone can be harmful to birds and humans. I'm not sure exactly what concentration level becomes toxic to birds but this unit does not appear to have any form of of ionizer or Ozone generator.

As most of us know, we deal with a certain amount of Ozone in the air that we breathe every day. When the Ozone levels go above a certain point, then it can become harmful.

FYI, We presently use an IDYLIS in Arika's room and it does a very nice job of collecting all the fine down feathers and such floating in the air.
This one uses a carbon pre-filter and then a HEPA. It's been running for several months and we've had no issues.

Others, please join in with comments and corrections.

Last edited:
OP
T00tsyd

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
After a long phone call to Philips customer service number possibly in India - thank goodness for free numbers - they assure me that no it doesn't produce ozone and has no teflon in its manufacture. So I am about to gleefully unpack it and set it going. They added that as far as temperature was concerned it worked on the ambient temperature so Syd should be very happy too. Thanks all and especially Philips and most of all my kids! :)

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
just as a quick thing I would run it outside for an hour just to get that protective coating they put on them when shipping off

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
also, have you got a link to it? I might look into getting one and a tried and tested one seems like a simple option!

OP
T00tsyd

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBOFS-wMVzk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBOFS-wMVzk[/ame]

Try this Philips Series 3000 Aerasense AC3256

OP
T00tsyd

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
I've had it on most of the day. It is virtually silent although there is a special even lower setting for night-time. I have been running it on the allergy setting today and I have been quite fascinated to see how the the readings vary throughout the day and when the numbers are higher it clicks in again until they reduce. All very high tech.

I have had asthma for some years hence the choice of a green cheek but at present am baby sitting my daughter's 9 week old lab puppy. I guess that could account for the fluctuation.

Oh gosh! I wonder if that's why they gifted the machine to me? Perhaps they're hoping I'll puppy/dog sit even more often! :eek:

Most Reactions

Latest posts