Is non toxic bug spray ok?

Moseysgrandma

Dec 29, 2019
Hi
Can I use non toxic all natural bed bug spray in the house with Mosey? She would be in the next room by an open window when we sprayed. It’s a pump, not aerosol. These are the ingredients listed.
Active Ingredients: Clove Oil (0.03%), Peppermint Oil (1.0%), Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (1.3%) | Inert Ingredients: Citric Acid, Glycerin, Oleic Acid, Water (97.67%)
Thanks

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I've had to use Zevo and Raid essentials, in fact have been for many months with no bad effects with my flock of budgies and conures and quaker. I don't spray it on them of course but have sprayed adjacent and they have had no issues. The sprayers make a mist that quickly drops, not an aerosol.

At this point I'm deciding its safe. I was just as worried at first but much better than actual toxins and if anything it works faster. They drop out of the sky or stop running as soon as the first drop hits them.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hi
Can I use non toxic all natural bed bug spray in the house with Mosey? She would be in the next room by an open window when we sprayed. It’s a pump, not aerosol. These are the ingredients listed.
Active Ingredients: Clove Oil (0.03%), Peppermint Oil (1.0%), Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (1.3%) | Inert Ingredients: Citric Acid, Glycerin, Oleic Acid, Water (97.67%)
Thanks
It's most likely very safe BUT bedbugs are VERY difficult to get rid of without calling in a pro or using toxic chemicals.
I looked these ingredients up.
These essential oils in Zevo, Stem, etc may be okay as repellants but are unlikely to do much other than drive them away from where you used the spray. They can kill them when sprayed directly on them but any bugs that are hidden (or out for walk) can return after spraying and only be repelled. When the scents dissipate they are worthless. You may hate and be repelled by these strong scents yourself- not good if you need to sleep!

Sodium laureth sulfate is a surfactant to help the product adhere to surfaces rather than run off. It's found in shampoos, toothpastes and other products used on the body and on surfaces.
If you know you have bedbugs you ought to replace your mattress and wash all bedding and pillows in hot water.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
It's most likely very safe BUT bedbugs are VERY difficult to get rid of without calling in a pro or using toxic chemicals.
These essential oils in Zevo, Stem, etc may be okay as repellants but are unlikely to do much other than drive them away from where you used the spray. They can kill them when sprayed directly on them but any bugs that are hidden (or out for walk) can return after spraying and only be repelled. When the scents dissipate they are worthless. You may hate and be repelled by these strong scents yourself- not good if you need to sleep!

Sodium laureth sulfate is a surfactant to help the product adhere to surfaces rather than run off. It's found in shampoos, toothpastes and other products used on the body and on surfaces.
If you know you have bedbugs you ought to replace your mattress and wash all bedding and pillows in hot water.
Bed bugs also hide in furniture cracks so your bed frame and nearby furniture must be treated or they will infest a new mattress pretty fast.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Bed bugs also hide in furniture cracks so your bed frame and nearby furniture must be treated or they will infest a new mattress pretty fast.
What's the best way to treat furniture for bed bugs without harming our birds?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
What's the best way to treat furniture for bed bugs without harming our birds?

Hot Shot makes a Bed Bug Detection and Treatment Kit that contains all the products you need to treat your bed and bedroom.
Remove the birds from the room before you do anything, unless you can take the furniture outside or put it on a balcony for treatment. Treat the bed frame and other furniture outdoors and let it sit for a day to kill all hidden bedbugs. Then either hose it off or wash it off with soapy water and let it dry thoroughly before putting it back if there's a risk your birds would chew on the furniture.

If you can't treat the furniture outdoors, put the birds in a different room as far from the bedroom as possible or let the birds stay at someone else's house during treatment.
Open all windows in the bedroom and close the door to keep the chemicals out of the rest of the house. Then use the chemical bedbug insecticide, and after treating the furniture wash it with soapy water.
is there any significant risk that your birds would chew on your furniture? If not, you don't need to wash off the insecticide.
After the furniture is treated with insecticide and washed off if necessary, would be a good time to use the clove oil/peppermint oil product on the furniture to repel any bed bugs from returning.

I hope you don't have carpeting or fabric upholstered furniture that needs treatment too. Keep in mind that bed bugs can live for months without a blood meal so if any are hiding in furniture or carpeting that's not treated they will re-infest your bed!
If you have hard surface floors, don't forget to treat the cracks where wall meets floor. Bed bugs hide in cracks.

ALWAYS read the instructions on any products that you use to kill bed bugs. They will tell you when the room will be safe for pets.

Good luck!

OP
Moseysgrandma

Moseysgrandma

Dec 29, 2019

Thank you :)
I have used this spray in the past, before we had Mosey, and it works really well. I’m fortunate/ unfortunate to have a severe reaction to bed bug bites, so I know if they are around right away, so can catch it before they multiply! :)

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Thank you :)
I have used this spray in the past, before we had Mosey, and it works really well. I’m fortunate/ unfortunate to have a severe reaction to bed bug bites, so I know if they are around right away, so can catch it before they multiply! :)
It's interesting that some people get no reaction to a bed bug bite and others get bad welts. I think I'd rather get a bad reaction- that way I'd know when I have them.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I also tried stem, and raid essentials, but zevo I think has the best sprayer if you get flies or mosquitos or a moth in the house because it can go from cloud (clusterbomb) spray to spinning the nozzel 180 degrees to sniper spray and killing a bug like 6 feet away.

Most Reactions