Is there anyway to can get my Cockateil to stop biting??

Aaron1993

Banned
Banned
Aug 22, 2015
My aunt recently gave me an adorable little Cockatiel that a friend of hers found some months ago. He's absolutely adorable but he bites when I try to get him out of his cage. I refuse to keep him in his cage other than during the night or if I leave, but getting him out is such a hassle with him hissing and biting.

He's in a very large cage so I know that a lack of space isn't causing this, and he also isn't biting out of fear because he doesn't seem to fear anything. Does anyone know what I can do?

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Yes. You can be patient and allow him to come out on his own terms.
You're a big scary human forcing him to come out.

Sit by the cage with the door open and read a book aloud to him.
Be patient.
Let him decide to join you.

WilliamKenyon

Aug 21, 2015
Media
Parrots
Mango: Male cockatiel, Ruby: Female eclectus
I would recommend that you slowly move your hand in and around the cage without touching the bird. this will make your bird feel comfortable with your hands. after doing this for 2 to 3 days you can put your hand up to the bird and attempt to pet it. if the bird does not bite you give it a treat, such as millet spray (i guarantee that your cockatiel will love this stuff). however if the bird does attempt to bike you don't pull away or say ouch. a way that you can reduce your pain while not pulling away is to clench your fist and let the bird peck/bike the back of your hand. the cockatiel will have nothing to bike onto and so will reduce your pain. when the bird starts to get used to you, it is time to start the step up/step down process. i hope this will help you and your bird form a bond and good luck.

Firethorn

Aug 25, 2015
Millet sprays seem to be a big motivator for my cockatiels. Hunger always seems to override fear. Wait for half a day before you feed your cockatiels, then offer them some millet spray from your hand. This technique works really well in fearful dogs. If the millet is clutched in your hand they will need to step up to get at it. My cockatiels always seem to be more adventurous in the early morning. Has anyone ever noticed this? All my pets are sensitive to my emotional state. If I'm tense or fearful they are tense and fearful. I adopted two feral cats. I had my vet prescribe them an SSRI to expand there emotional skill set. There is no shame in getting chemical assistance. I've used xanax on dogs to prevent them from cognitively reconstructing into a permanent fear state. Drastic changes in environments can be intensely stressful. Patients is called for whether it's coming to an animal shelter or coming home. My cockatiels are always hungry for attention. He'll come around.

Most Reactions