Is this cage too big??

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
cages can never be too big. Link isn't working for me so can't see but make sure the bar spacing is right so he can't push through and strangle himself.

As for the breeder if they are giving a set date I would be worried. Birds wean when they wean, if you're being given a date now then that sets alarm bells off making me think they're being force weaned. I would talk to the breeder and ask if you can bring them back for a while if they revert to an unweaned state until they are consistently eating solids. If the breeder says no or says you can hand-feed just walk away right now. It's the breeder's responsibility to make sure they are okay and not going to die as soon as they get to the owner's home

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, MaximilianĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I say this as a breeder of IRNs and other birds myself; Avoid breeders who tell you when the baby will be weaned; it almost always means they practice "force weaning" which is extremely cruel and damaging to the poor baby. Some IRNs do wean naturally about that time, others need closer to 12 weeks, occasionally more. Force weaning has life long consequences for the baby and the new family.

As for the cage, it is not to big but it is using your money in the wrong places. The "up and down" space on this cage is huge, but that's basically a waste of money. It's the "side to side" and "front to back" space that matters, so I would invest in a much shorter, wider cage in that price range :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
Cages can never be too big, but again you might want to look for one with more horizontal space rather than vertical. Make sure to choose the correct bar spacing though, as some larger cages are meant for much bigger parrots and therefore have inappropriate bar spacing for your IRN.

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
Bar spacing is no worries on these cages, it's pretty much just a taller version of the ones we talked about earlier.
You would be better with the normal 603/604 still I reckon, and just put the extra $$ towards a stand and boings so you can move your IRN around with you. How often are you away from the house? Do you share it with animals and pets?
I highly doubt you'll find better options than one of those three in NZ. Of course, if you do - let me know!

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
Another issue with the cage are the food stations. Your IRN will figure out how to open them in no time!

This is very very true!
Henry and Clarke both take any opportunity - I ended up cable tying the doors shut, and adding other bowls inside :D

Most Reactions