is this normal ?

OP
dreamin_sqaw

dreamin_sqaw

Oct 19, 2013
Media
until tonight taking the pics I never noticed the feathers on the ends of those. the "pins" I guess they are called look huge compared to his old feathers there on his chest. He is my first fid. learning as I go. I don't know what to look for or expect in a molt. how long it last? nothing.

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
They look like pin feathers. The feathers around them look over preened. I have a noble macaw that does this AND he will clip off the long tail and wing feathers. Julio will grow in new feathers that look like your pictures but then over preens them while they are growing in.

I did notice the skin looks really healthy. It has a sheen to it that looks like it is not dry and it is a good color.

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
My birds: Skyler/Sky, violet Indian Ringneck. Mother's birds: Norman, African Grey and Mildred, Blue Crowned Conure.
Molting often lasts a few months.

OP
dreamin_sqaw

dreamin_sqaw

Oct 19, 2013
Media
They look like pin feathers. The feathers around them look over preened. I have a noble macaw that does this AND he will clip off the long tail and wing feathers. Julio will grow in new feathers that look like your pictures but then over preens them while they are growing in.

I did notice the skin looks really healthy. It has a sheen to it that looks like it is not dry and it is a good color.

Thanks Noble,

I try my best to take care of him. Regular showers, good fruits and lots of play time. IM LEARNING, I agree his other feathers look a bit over worked. I try to keep him from messing with 'em but I can only control so much. lol

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
The new feathers that are coming in are larger because they have a blood supply to them. The blood provides the nutrients required for the feathers to grow.

The feathers around that are being barbered.

Any way to increase his foraging activities and perhaps more frequent baths?

OP
dreamin_sqaw

dreamin_sqaw

Oct 19, 2013
Media
The new feathers that are coming in are larger because they have a blood supply to them. The blood provides the nutrients required for the feathers to grow.

The feathers around that are being barbered.

Any way to increase his foraging activities and perhaps more frequent baths?

Yes I can increase baths. He is in with me showering daily. Some times he just sits on railing and gets the steam. But days he don't actually get in shower I use a mist spray on him.
Also, I really need help on the foraging thing. I keep looking at pet stores I can find food for it but nothing to put the food into. I have no idea what I need to use. Any help on that ?
He's my first feathered child so I have a lot to learn. This forum has helped us come a long way. But I know I have much further to go.
Thanks so much.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
This website is full of foraging ideas! Be sure to check out the Enrichment Books, too! (PDF files)

Parrot Enrichment

Iambigsy

Apr 1, 2014
I have the same parrot and never owned one before his under belly isn't bold but it's very fluffy as if he is plucking but I'm not sure either if it's normal.

OP
dreamin_sqaw

dreamin_sqaw

Oct 19, 2013
Media
I have the same parrot and never owned one before his under belly isn't bold but it's very fluffy as if he is plucking but I'm not sure either if it's normal.

You have an owa too? Ain't they just the best ? Lol. Trust me the folks here can help with about anything. They have been great with helping me. Post a pic if your baby if you can . Would love to see how the chest areas compare. Thanks

I thought ya had a blue front . But I also thought Sammy was a blue front until the good folks here helped me out

Last edited:

Most Reactions