Is this normal ?

jeet

Mar 10, 2018
India
Parrots
A pair of lutino cockatiels
My female cockatiel does this for hours sometimes, kinda worries me !:yellow1::yellow1: IMG_20180320_175448[1].jpg

OP
J

jeet

Mar 10, 2018
India
Parrots
She would lean and kinda start falling asleep.

PetoftheDay

Dec 27, 2010
Boston area, MA
How old is she? Is this a new behavior, or something she has always done? If the latter, as long as she seems otherwise fine and doesn't actually fall, it's probably just a quirk of hers.

smbrds

May 17, 2016
Media
Central Florida
Parrots
Normal (or not so!) Grey Cockatiel
She would lean and kinda start falling asleep.

Pretty lutinos! Glad to see them.

Sometimes they do that when their about to sleep and then they'll grind their beaks and tuck their head in. Other times they could do that when something spooked them.

OP
J

jeet

Mar 10, 2018
India
Parrots
She's about a year old, both of my cockatiels have bald patches, also when i first got her and she wasn't comfortable, she never leaned like this, now that she is getting used to the surroundings she would lean like this, especially if I introduce something new in the cage, like when I change their tray, I would place a newspaper below the cage and then she'll stare at the paper for hours, I think she maybe just curious, because her crest is always up to the MAX.

OP
J

jeet

Mar 10, 2018
India
Parrots
I was hoping it was a call to get some lovely head scratches haha, but she's always alert, her crest is always up to the maxxxxxxx, she's beginning to become less aggressive <3 and that's a plus! I might be able to tame her before I could tame the male hehe (Still afraid of hands and fingers, but the fear is reducing day by day! yippie! )

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Leaning forward with outstretched tail and wing feathers is a display behavior(and quite impressive!) Does your bird ever fan out her pretty pretty feathers while leaning?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I see no toys or activities in the cage. Perhaps she is simply very, very bored.

What would you do if locked in a cage with nothing to do? Probably starts at the floor or ceiling for hours at a time. I'm also only seeing 2 identical diameter straight dowel perches. Not having varied perches (varied in width, texture etc...) can hurt their feet very badly due to being stuck in the same position 24/7.

Get some toys and new perches from the cage and I bet you'll find the behavior stops or becomes less frequent once she has a more comfortable place to perch and things to occupy her time!

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
agreed with Kiwi. Toys and different perches. I'd argue that dowel perches shouldn't be sold any more because they're just not good for them.

You want it to look similar to the picture below, you can see there's lots of different perches all of different sizes and lots to do and play with so it keeps their brain working and stops them losing their minds
01c5b430ca961ac52418bf786b69e68b.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts