Is this unusual?

dudemom

Aug 3, 2014
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Kiwi, 7 year old Orange wing Amazon
My new, and first Amazon, Kiwi, who is about 7 years old and a TOTAL LOVEBUG with everyone he meets so far( I've had him four weeks) does something I am wondering about.
He is not flighted, and he walks around the house as he pleases.
SO. He has what I think of as his 'sad place'. He goes into the guest bathroom, stands on the floor in a small space between the hamper and the sink, puts his head down and makes this sad 'keening' noises, along with a little growling, but mostly it sounds like he is mourning.
I call it his sad place. Does this ring any bells for anyone else?
He does not bite, EVER, but when he is in his sad place he does not want to leave, will not step up, though if i HAD to interrupt him( i would NEVER, how rude, right?) I would easily be able to scoop him up like a puppy.
He does not do this anywhere else in the house.
Thoughts?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Actually, that sounds like hormonal/nesting behavior to me. Amazon are notorious for their hormones, and many like to go in tight, dimly lit places looking to build a nest. In nature, they nest in tree hollows, so the space between your hamper and sink is probably quite similar to where he would raise a family. Our amazon likes to go behind a small bookshelf and make squealing and grunting noises. I *personally* do not encourage or allow the behavior. Hormonal amazons can be aggressive, and he's not going to be bred, so best to keep his mind on other things....

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
My thoughts exactly - with ANY bird, this sounds like nesting behavior. If he is still sweet as a kitten then good! You may have caught it in time. Close the door to that bathroom, and any other places he finds to replace it. As sweet as it may seem, this is sounds like a gateway behavior to all sorts of nasty things like biting, screaming, plucking, and mate bonding. Yikes! Lets keep your sweet and happy bird sweet and happy by not "leading him on" into thinking he gets to build a nest and make babies with you :)

OP
dudemom

dudemom

Aug 3, 2014
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Ok, thanks, I get it loud and clear!
Is this a seasonal thing? A year long thing? A thing that happens at a certain age?
It is my TOP priority to keep Kiwi NICE AND SWEET.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Amazons become sexually mature at 4-6 years old, so your Kiwi is definitely old enough. Hormones typically flare in the early spring, and I've noticed they do again some years in the late summer (this seems to be one of those years for my Kiwi:52:). The running behind/under stuff, they'll do any chance the get any time of the year. You can close the door of the bathroom, but he'll quickly find another spot.

Our Kiwi is also non-flighted and likes to roam around on foot. I deal with him getting behind/under stuff by having him step up on a stick (mine can be a tad defensive of his perceived nest:rolleyes:) and quickly take him over to his play stand where he will be distracted with toys and more positive activities:) I'm always calm and kind dealing with him, as he's not being naughty per se, just needs his attention directed in a different direction.

Just so you're expecting it, there *will* be times of year your Kiwi will behave differently. Just how much depends on how bad he gets hormones and also (over time) how you've dealt with hormonal behavior in the past. Some amazons barely get any noticeable hormonal changes at all others can turn feral for a few weeks, including aggression an otherwise sweet bird has never shown before. There ARE ways to curb it, and they DO go back to the bird they were before after the hormones have "passed";) I would suggest you start informing yourself now about what the signs of a hormonal amazon are, what steps can be taken to curb the behavior (LOTS of threads on this subject on this forum). Stick training is something I strongly recommend for keeping the peace with an aggressive hormonal bird (so no feelings or fingers are hurt on either side;)). You may want to start that with him soon to get him used to it and confident with it:) I also suggest (if you don't already) getting him on a consistent sleep/wake schedule, so he wakes up and goes to bed at the same time each day. Blackout curtains and/or a DARK cage cover should be used so he can't see when the sun rises or any type of light period until you wake him or after you put him to bed. Changes in daylight trigger the hormones, so a consistent schedule year-round is a major contributing factor in lessening them IMO. A lot of shelters see an influx of birds during the hormonal season because many people didn't know it was coming, why their birds personality "changed" overnight, and just want to get rid of the bird who "turned" as quickly as possible. When you know it's coming, and you understand why it's happening, and you've taken proactive steps to reduce the effects, you will do just fine with your Kiwi when the time comes:)

OP
dudemom

dudemom

Aug 3, 2014
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Just amazing, Kiwibird, thank you SO much for taking the time to write that. You are a good writer, and I outta know, I'm a writer and editor! We should get you in print!

OP
dudemom

dudemom

Aug 3, 2014
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Say, As I am cleaning up from the mornings Kiwi breakfast mess( my dog is thrilled I now own a parrot, but i am SHOCKED at the mess, lol!!)a thought occurred on this subject you've been educating me on.
What if Kiwi didn't have the ability to walk around the house? His main thing seems to be wanting to be in whatever room people are in, except for when he trying to eat the wainscotting on the front door or in his 'hormone nest place' n the bathroom.
I would not even wonder if it was an option but here this;
He has a open door cage with playgym literally in EVERY room of my house. He even has a perch in the showers and a perch on the bathroom mirror so he can help me put on my makeup! Every cage/perch/playgym/stand is different in design, offerings etc. Is it acceptable to consider, or will he eventually just start jumping down? Right now he never does anything if he has to fly or jump, he has never been flighted and he climbs ladders and ropes to get to his stations. A couple stations already DON'T have the option to get down, like his night time station and the stand by my bed so i can take my afternoon nap and have him near.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts