Is UnRuffledRX Parrot Calming formula plus ok for my scarlet macaw?

Alex999

May 22, 2023
Parrots
Scarlet macaw. Acquired in 2011. 13-15 years old.
I bought it for my macaw in hopes that it'll make him calmer. He's very high strung, and sometimes will break into a screaming episode without any apparent reason. Most of the time he squawks (like hogcalling) even after he's been given attention or snacks.

About the formula I bought: Just got it from Amazon on Sunday, but haven't given him any as of yet. I've seen widely varying reviews about the product, ranging from excellent to poor, so am trying to make the best determination about it before getting him started on it..

Some have said that maltodextrin (the inactive ingredient in it) is bad for parrots.

The active ingredients are L-Theanine 70mg and Gamma-Aminobutyric (GABA) 21mg.

I need desperately to get his behavior calmer, but am not about to give him anything that wouldn't be good for him. I care too much about him to let that happen.

Would welcome helpful info or experience you have to share. I think if I were to get him started on it, it would be slowly in minimal amounts to get him used to it, assuming it's OK for him to have. Thanks in advance for replying.

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
Hopefully someone else will know if the unruffledrx is safe as I have no idea. Have you tried

Bird Street Bistro Halcyon Parrot Tea?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I bought it for my macaw in hopes that it'll make him calmer. He's very high strung, and sometimes will break into a screaming episode without any apparent reason. Most of the time he squawks (like hogcalling) even after he's been given attention or snacks.

About the formula I bought: Just got it from Amazon on Sunday, but haven't given him any as of yet. I've seen widely varying reviews about the product, ranging from excellent to poor, so am trying to make the best determination about it before getting him started on it..

Some have said that maltodextrin (the inactive ingredient in it) is bad for parrots.

The active ingredients are L-Theanine 70mg and Gamma-Aminobutyric (GABA) 21mg.

I need desperately to get his behavior calmer, but am not about to give him anything that wouldn't be good for him. I care too much about him to let that happen.

Would welcome helpful info or experience you have to share. I think if I were to get him started on it, it would be slowly in minimal amounts to get him used to it, assuming it's OK for him to have. Thanks in advance for replying.
The ingredients are fine as far as I can tell.
L-Theanine is a calming supplement found in green tea while the other ingredient appears to be safe from what I read online.

The problem with calming supplements is a parrots digestive system is so fast so I’m not sure how effective any calming solution will be.

Does he have plenty of toys to destroy? I also recommend hiding his favorite food in his toys so he has something to do throughout the day and something to really challenge his mind.

I also agree with @LoveOfallAnimals , herbal/floral teas are a great idea. I often make my birds chamomile/calendula/hibiscus/rose hip tea.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I think a better approach would be trying to figure out what the triggers are and working from there. For me - unless my Certified Avian Vet say give him ******** for this or that reason, I am not giving Salty stuff and certainly not if the product was made in CHina!

Suggestion - try keeping a log for a week, recording when he goes off the edge and what was going on just prior, how long he was screaming, etc etc. It could be as simple as seeing a certain animal or truck or something out a window, or other things. Yes, parrots sometimes like to make noise simply for the joy of being alive, but triggers exist too. Our Salty goes off the deep edge when ever someone goes into the food prep area in our kitchen. Why? Because he usually gets fed a tid-bit if its a safe food, hence his excitement.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I think a better approach would be trying to figure out what the triggers are and working from there. For me - unless my Certified Avian Vet say give him ******** for this or that reason, I am not giving Salty stuff and certainly not if the product was made in CHina!

Suggestion - try keeping a log for a week, recording when he goes off the edge and what was going on just prior, how long he was screaming, etc etc. It could be as simple as seeing a certain animal or truck or something out a window, or other things. Yes, parrots sometimes like to make noise simply for the joy of being alive, but triggers exist too. Our Salty goes off the deep edge when ever someone goes into the food prep area in our kitchen. Why? Because he usually gets fed a tid-bit if its a safe food, hence his excitement.
I tend to agree that I would ask a CAV before giving my birds any supplements. Just to be sure.

Most Reactions

Latest posts