Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (♀ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (♂ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (♀ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017
I love watching my aviary birds. It’s hilarious at times.

For instance, since Buttercup and Perriwinkle (a bonded pair from a breeder) got to join the aviary they have lost complete interest in each other. Periwinkle, who is a male, is now after Nimbus, another male. What I love is that they are both violet budgies, so I always see these purple boys kissing and preening and carrying on. Adorable.

Buttercup on the other hand has caused Neptune to abandon his original mate (like what the hell man?) and he is constantly chasing her instead now. Not only that, but Mango (who has NEVER shown any interest in any of the females in all the years that I’ve had him) is also OBSESSED with Buttercup. I’ve even seen the two boys have a couple of disagreements over her. Nothing violent, luckily.

On the other side of the spectrum, if I look at Opal and Pearl, who are my two tame budgies living inside, they literally show zero interest in each another, despite being male and female. Not only that, but they argue to no end, going so far as to REFUSE to share perches when they sleep at night. Berry, my ‘tiel, is there too. They all share a cage, and interact fine, but it’s more in an “I tolerate you” rather than an “I’m friends with you”.

And that’s just a snapshot into the lives of my 20-something birds.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
It's a big beautiful rainbow at your house! I love it!

Amadeo

Mar 29, 2018
UK, North West, Lancashire
Parrots
Sherbert (Male Cockateil, Grey with Emerald/Olive),
Moth (Female Budgerigar, Pied),
Melia (Female Budgerigar, Dilute)
Sounds like quite a bit of drama goes on with your family of birds, like a small soap opera from the description.
I can relate a little, my two budgies are a pair that play together, fall out and squabble over the leafy greens in each others bowls, but then get back to allo-preening soon after.
For their tiny size they don't lack in antics that's for sure.

I can imagine two violet budgies sitting together looking adorable and very pretty. Purple is a beautiful colour, not a colour I see available where I live though.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
It's often regurgitated over and over again that parrots mate for life. This usually indicates *all* parrots! And then you see certain species, like budgies, who are far from monogamous! When you see them in a flock situation, you can really see how relationships change. I've even seen one female flirting with another female.... years ago! And she even had her own mate... lol

OP
reeb

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (♀ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (♂ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (♀ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017
Their interactions are so interesting to me! One of our birds, Kiwi, was devastated when his mate Orchid passed away suddenly. But, we still had Orchid's sister's babies, and he immediately became attached to one of the babies who looked just like his her (dark violet with yellow face) - and this little guy just happens to be a male, lol! They've been totally inseparable ever since (this happened just under 2 years ago). Whenever I go to the aviary, they are always together, and neither Kiwi nor his boyfriend have chosen female mates out of the flock, which is pretty balanced with 50% being male and 50% being female.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I love watching my aviary birds. It’s hilarious at times.

For instance, since Buttercup and Perriwinkle (a bonded pair from a breeder) got to join the aviary they have lost complete interest in each other. Periwinkle, who is a male, is now after Nimbus, another male. What I love is that they are both violet budgies, so I always see these purple boys kissing and preening and carrying on. Adorable.

Buttercup on the other hand has caused Neptune to abandon his original mate (like what the hell man?) and he is constantly chasing her instead now. Not only that, but Mango (who has NEVER shown any interest in any of the females in all the years that I’ve had him) is also OBSESSED with Buttercup. I’ve even seen the two boys have a couple of disagreements over her. Nothing violent, luckily.

On the other side of the spectrum, if I look at Opal and Pearl, who are my two tame budgies living inside, they literally show zero interest in each another, despite being male and female. Not only that, but they argue to no end, going so far as to REFUSE to share perches when they sleep at night. Berry, my ‘tiel, is there too. They all share a cage, and interact fine, but it’s more in an “I tolerate you” rather than an “I’m friends with you”.

And that’s just a snapshot into the lives of my 20-something birds.

Wow..twenty-some-odd fids :eek:... I think I could spend all dat watching the going's on with them and never be bored. Especially with budgies. They are such an awesome little thing. always on the move and chattering full bore!

Today,Amy and I were at our local pet shop where there was a huge cage of about sixteen baby budgies..tiny little things,still with the dark "rings" around their heads. It sounded to us like there was thirty of those little things in that cage lol,all yelling or chirping/singing at each other lol.

Jim

Most Reactions