It's (probably) a girl! Introducing my new baby BFA

OP
Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy - (most likely) female blue-fronted Amazon, hatched on May 1, 2017; Gabby - Male double yellowheaded Amazon, hatched, April 1, 1986; died February 22, 2017
Toddler proofing a room and then a series of rooms and then the house! The joys of childhood!

When working on landing on you arm, remember that its basic target training. Start where she is comfortable and shift up and/or down in small changes in elevation. This way she will associate landing on the arm and lock it in! With time, variation in elevation and location can be built in.

There are a ton of things that they are learning at the same time! So, don't get overly crazy that it takes a bit longer to to shift landing spots.

Remember that you will be looking back on these times and they will be fond memories! Times that pass far too quickly!

Enjoy!

Definitely the toddler stage. Only this toddler can freakin' fly! Interestingly, she flies better than she climbs. To help her learn climbing skills, I've been putting her on her playpen top. After a few minutes of play, she usually ends up flying back to where I hang out. I should probably read over by her for a couple of hours, but the chair over there isn't very comfortable. Note to self: Make chair comfortable.

Yes, we're still at doorjamb height and it looks like we're going to keep it that way. She likes to fly to a box where she can perch safely. Once she flew from the box to my hand. I was very impressed and told her what a wonderful bird she is.

I have to say we're both exhausted. I'm going to try to talk her into taking a nap so I can refuel. If she's both tired and full, she'll start nodding off. Maybe she'll go into the cardboard nest box if I cover her twenty gallon long so it's dark inside. I could really use a baby monitor so I can hear if she starts to fuss. I didn't know I'd be doing this. We're both learning on the fly. ;)

Thanks, Sailboat. I appreciate your encouragement.

OP
Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy - (most likely) female blue-fronted Amazon, hatched on May 1, 2017; Gabby - Male double yellowheaded Amazon, hatched, April 1, 1986; died February 22, 2017
Kizzy loves her red rubber ball! Thanks to Yoshi's mom and Salty's dad for turning me on to this toy. It's been a big hit. :)

19620936_10209675270179166_3743296439372453979_o.jpg

Stills from our snuggle in the car last week.

19693633_10209675271499199_4536243262017414258_o.jpg

19620927_10209675317220342_3828501228763702220_o.jpg

OP
Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Here's one of Kizzy's flight lessons from a few days ago. I'm in my standard "bird mom" garb: nightgown with messy hair. Taking care of a flying toddler is hard work. :)

[ame="https://youtu.be/2-UAlfPwEXE"]Kizzy the Baby Blue-Fronted Amazon Flies! - YouTube[/ame]

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Amazing to watch her grow from helpless, featherless chick to a prickly cactus;) to playing with her first toy to a fully feathered beautiful young lady flying effortlessly across the room:D Many of us missed all those stages with our birds. Thanks SO much for sharing this amazing journey with us!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Maybe Kizzy can teach Amy a thing or two about flapflapflapping :rolleyes:

Jim

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Sometimes I regret not allowing Saltys wings to grow out and teaching him to fly. This one of them. Good job, Kizzy.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Sometimes I regret not allowing Saltys wings to grow out and teaching him to fly. This one of them. Good job, Kizzy.

Al? The Saltmiester doesn't fly?? I didn't know that :eek:

Jim

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
No, he doesnt. He is at the gliding stage right now. I would let him fly, but with Geri not able to move much these days, a flying Salty might have to be caged all day. Plus no one is used to that an would possibly not observe good door practices.

OP
Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
No, he doesnt. He is at the gliding stage right now. I would let him fly, but with Geri not able to move much these days, a flying Salty might have to be caged all day. Plus no one is used to that an would possibly not observe good door practices.

I keep forgetting to close the toilet lid. Luckily, Kizzy is just large enough that I think she would simply get a bit of a scare and I'd have to clean her thoroughly. Yuck!

This flying business is new to both of us and it is a bit scary. I can tell you love Salty very much. I love Kizzy, so watching her crash land was difficult. She's better, but I still worry she could have an accident of some kind. At this stage, she requires constant supervision because some idiot (me) didn't introduce her to her cage in a supportive way. Now she is afraid of it and I'm working toward desensitization.

OP
Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Today, Kizzy learned the bridge word "good" and how to target. A couple of hours later she knew the chopstick was a magical sunflower seed dispenser and she would do anything to get to it. I had her doing short flights between perches and my arm. Video of that as soon as possible.

I don't know whose brain was used to make this bird, but it wasn't Abby Normal's.

[ame="https://youtu.be/qcAmUu_2Vbc"]Kizzy the Blue-Fronted Amazon Learns to Target - YouTube[/ame]

OP
Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Amazing to watch her grow from helpless, featherless chick to a prickly cactus;) to playing with her first toy to a fully feathered beautiful young lady flying effortlessly across the room:D Many of us missed all those stages with our birds. Thanks SO much for sharing this amazing journey with us!

I am honored that everyone came with me on this journey. We have come a long way and we have a long way to go, but the joy is the journey itself. :) :green:

OP
Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
I just discovered another important part of weaning: love. This morning I tried to jumpstart Kizzy by handing her pellets and some whole snap peas. She picked at them a bit, but seemed a bit frantic. It was important that she drink water first (still sleeping in the "nest box"), but after that, I gave her a head scratch, put on a "bird sitter" video I found on YouTube and let her play with foot toys while I held her. NOW she's more interested in eating.

She needed to know she was still part of the flock and that I care about her.

Most Reactions

Latest posts