African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
March 4, 2012

w.gif
04.jpg

[FONT=Times, Times New Roman]Name:[/FONT] [FONT=Helvetica, Arial]Jessie
[/FONT] [FONT=Times, Times New Roman]Age:[/FONT] [FONT=Helvetica, Arial]Deceased, Nineteen years old
[/FONT] [FONT=Times, Times New Roman]Gender:[/FONT] [FONT=Helvetica, Arial]Unknown
[/FONT] [FONT=Times, Times New Roman]Kind:[/FONT] [FONT=Helvetica, Arial]African Grey parrot
[/FONT] [FONT=Times, Times New Roman]Home:[/FONT] [FONT=Helvetica, Arial]South Africa
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial][SIZE=+2]M[/SIZE][/FONT]<b>[FONT=Helvetica, Arial]y name was Jessie Porter; I was a nineteen-year-old African Grey parrot. Mommy and Daddy (Barbara and Cecil) never had me DNA sexed, but that made no difference in our lives. They loved me unconditionally; they cared for me, always putting me first, before anyone and anything. When they took me home, mommy took maternity leave from work, and kept me under her T-shirt for weeks and weeks, making sure I was okay, healthy and growing.

Both my mommy and daddy made sure I was offered the very best in nutrition, always given formula, lovely tasting pellets, fresh fruit and vegetable every day, never skipping a day. I loved corn on the cob, mommy used to prepare it herself, making it more delicious. Each morning mommy gave me a little bit of a muffin (my favorite ever). Thanks, Mommy.

My mommy was not able to pick me up, occasionally she did and cuddled me (I always treasured those moments). Mommy was taking some medication, and if I bit her by accident, she would bleed four times more than the average person. I understood your position, Mommy, even being a bird, we know these things. Mommy knew me inside out. If I was not happy sitting by the door, my mommy would know and move me to another spot. I had a spot outside our house, where birds used to come sit on my cage and we chit chatted. Whistling I was so good at, had all different whistles for the gardeners and workers going by. All the people in our village used to pop in say hi, I loved that.

Daddy was my main handler, taking me out, holding and cuddling me. I loved it when daddy held me in the palm of his hands, I felt so secure and loved. I sat on their laps for hours, spending quality time and bonding with them. I walked around the house (chewed a bit of furniture when they were not looking ... wonder if they found out). Sorry Mommy and Daddy, it looked so chewable, I could not resist. Whenever Daddy walked away from my cage I would call him and say "Where is Daddy." My favorite song mommy taught me was "How Much Is That Doggie In The Window ... I used to bark between the lines, then changed it to kissing sounds because it made mommy and daddy laugh so much.

I was the luckiest bird in the whole world; I went away on holiday with Mommy and Daddy, a few times a year. Sometimes it was for over a month, other times for weekends away. I had a special travelling cage. When I saw my travelling cage, I got so excited, knowing we were going in the car. I was strapped in, they always made sure I was 110% safe. I could see everything from the window, I was so happy I talked all the way there and back. When away, we often stayed in the Caravan Park, I had such fun, talking to all the people there.

I was taken to the vet every four months for checkups, and for my nails to be trimmed. I used to clip my own wings (chewed them carefully). Brett the vet was impressed with me. I think I saved Daddy some money. Mommy noticed a few weeks ago I was struggling to breathe. I was rushed to the vet. I had x-rays taken, where they picked it up I had a serious liver problem. It was previously undetectable, no one knew, not even the vet.

Daddy and mommy gave me lots of medication; they took care of me day and night. I started feeling much better, began eating again, whistling and talking. We went back to the vet a few times. The last time we went, he told Daddy and Mommy is was very serious. It broke my heart to see them so sad, having heard the news.

On November 2nd, 2012, I took my last breath; Daddy was holding me, mommy by his side.

I am so happy they were there for me till the end, until my last breath.

Please do not shed tears and be sad. We had nineteen happy years together, something I will treasure, you will both be in my heart forever, and one day we will meet again:
I am now in Rainbow Heaven
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn's rain.
I am the stars that shine at night.
When you awaken in the morning's hush,
And you hear the birdies outside
Just know I am watching over you both

(poem by Mary Elizabeth Frye, added to by Jessie the bird).
[/FONT]

Last edited:
OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I mention to Barbara a while back I was going to nominate Jessie. Whilst writing the article, I was constantly in tears. Remembering many special moments Mishka and I shared with them all. Today, I e-mailed Barbara, the link, and telephoned her, telling her Jessie was Petoftheday. Barbara phoned back, we were all in tears. It was very emotional, tears of joy, reflecting on happy times. I am making a copy of it, laminating it, and giving it to Barbara and Cecil. We decided that will be the closure we need, no move forward.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Lovely tribute. You know that I know just how great these angels can be. I was just thinking, maybe in this case we can spell it, "GREYt".:p

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Beautiful tribute .

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Lovely tribute. You know that I know just how great these angels can be. I was just thinking, maybe in this case we can spell it, "GREYt".:p

Thanks Bill, I think that's a great idea, bit late to change Jessie's now so.....
As a tribute to Jessie I have changed MY personal info as

Parrots:African "GREYt" "Mishka" 4 Years Old

Most Reactions