Just a suggestion for toys....

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
I'm sure most of you will be aware of this, but I thought I'd post because I confess - I never thought of it and if it can be of some use to anyone at all then that's great!

I was in a pet shop yesterday, one of those superstore ones, and as I have a lot of pets, I tend to cover all area's lol.

First, I found a natural cotton dog toy. It's hanging on Cal's landing perch now lol.

I went into the rabbit section for food for Moo and happened upon the rat/hamster/gerbil section.

Wow.

So. There are a LOT of hanging and foot toys available at half the cost of the parrot section and so much more exciting. I checked the labels and it was all wood safe/dye safe/stainless steel holdings.

I couldn't believe it. I found the funkiest little kit that is flat wooden shapes you slot together to make whatever you like. Cal has played "football" on it, I've made a mini maze hiding treats, she's used it to perch on and nibble.....just in one night. It was £3. All the materials were listed on the box.

She now has (too cute) a mini dumbell made of safe wood that she hasn't lifted yet, but I will be there with the camera when she does.

There was a bridge for Rats that I thought was a little steep at £9.99 but it gave me an idea. It was hangable on SS chains, made of wood, and each rung had a toy hanging from it....I'm going to make one.

I could go on all day but I was simply amazed I'd never considered these sections before!

They even had pellets this time which they certainly didn't last time! Hey ho!

I even decided to get Cal a cozy hut as some of you parronts have altered my opinion on them through sharing your experieces. Many thanks. She's not used it yet, but it's still drying! I'll let you know how it goes ;)

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Thanks for sharing. Parrot toys are hard to come by here...they tend to have the same toys forever. I often shop in the dog section, but hadn't considered the others....

OP
V

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
I find a similar problem Sharon so I was very pleased to have noticed.

There were so many things and of course they're a lot cheaper because rodents chew through things much quicker than Cal can!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Great buys there guys, seek and thy shall find

Walking past a baby shop I spotted this beautiful bright ball, with holes in, and a ball in the inside. Made of strong plastic, Mishka would not be able to break it.
When rolling it, the ball makes the most amazing sound. AND it only cost me R10.00 here in South Africa
Mishka loves it.

Photo0475.jpg

Last edited:

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
Von,

you're not implying that pet stores would take advantage of our crazy love for our fids and charge more for a toy with a "for birds" label on it than one for rodents, are you? HAHA

Yes, you definitely have to get crafty in order to keep a parrot in fresh toys. I think I should probably get an extra bill from the local landfill for all of the toys Gandalf chewed up and I threw away.

Frankly, I'm looking forward to making more toys for my "soon to be."

gleek!

Aug 18, 2010
Detroit, MI
Parrots
I am a grandma to a GCC
I was at the pet store today, and found a few toys on clearance (between .75 and 1.50!). I bought Remy 5 new toys for less than $7.00!

As we were leaving, I walked down the hamster/rabbit/etc. aisle, and saw all the cool toys that were for them, but as you said, MUCH cheaper!!! Most of them look to be made out of the same material, and are much more colorful and cool! I didn't know if they'd be safe for fids, so I actually came on here to check if anyone else had ever posted anything about it, and saw your post! LOL!

Does anyone use these types of toys for their fids?

dragonlady2

Oct 3, 2010
Canada
Parrots
Eclectus-Willy, Alexandrine-Oliver, Two Barrabands -Joey and Peewee, Plumhead-Peanut, Senegal-Mookie, Australian King-Bella, Peachfront conure-Peachygirl, Crimson belly conure-Pepper, Parrotlette
I was at the pet store today, and found a few toys on clearance (between .75 and 1.50!). I bought Remy 5 new toys for less than $7.00!

As we were leaving, I walked down the hamster/rabbit/etc. aisle, and saw all the cool toys that were for them, but as you said, MUCH cheaper!!! Most of them look to be made out of the same material, and are much more colorful and cool! I didn't know if they'd be safe for fids, so I actually came on here to check if anyone else had ever posted anything about it, and saw your post! LOL!

Does anyone use these types of toys for their fids?
I have bought some dog toys and baby toys for the birds. Definitely bird toys are more expensive. I bought a $20 toy for my Alex and it took him less than 24 hours to demolish it and he was sleeping part of that time!! Now I just get my hubby to go out in the shop and cut up a spruce two by four. Alex's are just as happy.:)

JawzX

Aug 22, 2010
Media
Vermont
Parrots
8 year-old second-hand Alexandrine Parakeet Buddy (aka Baby, aka Ms. Prissy Beak)
I find a similar problem Sharon so I was very pleased to have noticed.

There were so many things and of course they're a lot cheaper because rodents chew through things much quicker than Cal can!

lucky you! I think Ms. Beak actually chews her wood toys up faster than my gerbils ever did!

OP
V

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
LOL Nofear....suggest that big chain superstores would take advantage to make money? Nooooooo!

Really Jawz? My gerbies used to go through everything! Cal is quite sedate but then, she's only little and seems to enjoy taking her time. For example, she's got a rope toy with 3 blocks of wood in it (usual sort!) She climbs on the first "rung", has a nibble, on the the next, has a nibble, to the top, has a nibble, and back down again! Funny thing that she is.

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
Must look in the rat section next time... actually, I can't. I'm not allowed in my pet store. Good thing too...
But there is a good store that stocks animal toys. I got some bells like Ant showed for $1.30. They are for cats. The parrot toy are $15+!!!! Each! For small ones. I'm going to have a go making my own toys. I have some old toys, but the fids are getting bored....

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Everything I bought in the pet shop that were for parrots are just hanging in Sterretjie's cage - unused.

I bought her a ball in the cat section and she also do not like it even thou there is a bell inside. I did check the hamster section but I am afraid Sterretjie will get her head stuck in something. :rolleyes: I also bought a phone and a musical toy that were meant for babies - she has no interest in it at all.

The only things that she loves playing with are people stuff, like a shoe, a box, envelope, tissues, ear-buds, toothpicks inside a holder that she can throw all over the floor, straws, broken keyboard, broken phone etc. If it is not used or mine then she does not want it. Her most loved place to play is inside my spice draw and tupperware cupboard. :p

OP
V

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
LOL Linky!

You have it better than us then! You just need to advertise for broken things people want rid of!!!

hahahah! Brilliant.

JawzX

Aug 22, 2010
Media
Vermont
Parrots
8 year-old second-hand Alexandrine Parakeet Buddy (aka Baby, aka Ms. Prissy Beak)
For example, she's got a rope toy with 3 blocks of wood in it (usual sort!) She climbs on the first "rung", has a nibble, on the the next, has a nibble, to the top, has a nibble, and back down again! Funny thing that she is.

ah, see, Ms. Beak's tactics are much more concentrated: pick up the toy (she much prefers foot toys to hanging ones), cart it to a good perch and settle in. I've seen her chew on the same toy for over an hour. The crunching and cracking noises coming fom her cage right now sound like a pack of rats attempting to gain entry through my floor! She can finish a medium size wood toy down to splinters in a single sitting.

I have gone beyond shopping the pet store for her chewables and purchase bulk birch-wood shapes from my local wood-craft shop. 3lbs of various cut-out and turned shapes costs about $12. I drill holes in them and thead them on leather thongs and the bag lasts about 2 weeks.

sometime I'll have to take a picture of the bottom of her cage after a good chew session ;)

OP
V

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
LOL

Please do Jawz! That's be so funny!

Just like doggies they're all different with their chewing!

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
sometime I'll have to take a picture of the bottom of her cage after a good chew session ;)

Jawz, it sound like you have the makings of your own small hardwood mulch company. Prissy will work for peanuts! ;)

Most Reactions