Just bought Timneh african grey 16 weeks

karrmite

Sep 6, 2013
I just bought it from a pet shop and he is eating some seeds.

This is my first actualy bird that is sort of big.

I did have a conure before. Anyways I was wondering should i leave him in the cage for a few days and just sit near the cage?

What would be the best thing to do as of now?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hi there karrmit, and welcome to the forum, and many congrats on your new baby. :)

What did you name your new family member?

It would be great if you could get your new baby onto a healthy diet from the start, and seeds aren't really all that healthy all the time.

We have phenomenal grey owners, who will surely chime in and give you some great pointers on what to feed and how to interact with him. :)

Again, welcome, please make yourself at home.

OP
K

karrmite

Sep 6, 2013
Ok thanks for taking the time to reply.

He does try to bite so i want to avoid trying to touch him until he kind of gets used. Its not a serious bite but still hurts. I want to try to teach it step up but dont know how to go.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Since you "just" (????) got him home, I would take things slowly. Sit next to him, talk sweetly and softly to him (baby talk...they LOVE baby talk), and avoid direct eye contact as it may make him a bit nervous. Remember, you are just now getting to know each other. :)

If you don't know what to talk about, grab a magazine, newspaper or a book and read to him. The more you talk, the quicker he'll get used to your voice.

Then go about your regular routine so he will get to know the sound of washing dishes, vacuum cleaner, radio, TV, etc. Everyday's common noises he'll be hearing for the rest of his live :)

Then you can start offering him treats through the cage bars at first. Again, if he seems nervous when you look directly at him, don't stare him down, but look away a bit, but keep talking, and offering him goodies.

A piece of apple, carrot, some pellets via hand. And PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE when he does accept the goodies.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
He's probably very scared right now, his life has suddenly changed so don't take the bites personally. Like Wendy said, just talk softly and sit near him quietly.

Was he eating seeds at the pet store? A seed diet is very unhealthy for nearly all parrots. Harrison's is a fantastic brand of pellet as well as Totally organics. Zupreem Natural, and Roudybush pellets are decent alternatives.

And welcome to the forum :D

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Some good info already been posted but I want to know where are the pics????? One thing you must know is we need pics!!! :D

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
I love TAG's they are my fav grey, do not let the size fool you. That is a BIG BIRD in a smaller package! I have had mine over 10 years now and he is great. I do wish I could have gotten him as a youngster. He was 10 and had a vary hard life before.
All greys need a little time. They are supper smart and really think about anything before trusting it. You will have a best bud soon, just be patient.

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
I want to see pics, I bet he is cute.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
I just got a TAG myself. He's 14 weeks old. Remember, that he's a baby, and is trying to sort out his new world. And his beak is like a hand, he's testing things with it. It may not be biting, but, "beaking". Mine is well socialized, but sometimes beaks a bit hard. Tell him, "easy", and gently pull away. He'll learn some boundaries in time.

Most Reactions

Latest posts