Just laid an egg

Mgebraski

Jan 29, 2017
Our Conure, Autumn is 15 years old and we never had her sexed. A couple of years back was told that if she hasn't laid an egg this far she must be a male. The last week or so she was acting very different, the "sexual" behavior was increased dramatically and she was turning her Zupreen pellets into dust and throwing everything to the bottom of her cage.
This morning there is an egg on the bottom of her cage. We have a girl!
But, now what should I do? Should I leave it in there for a period of time? Take it out right away? Should I expect more to come? Please advise
Thank you.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
If you don't have a male anywhere you can let her keep them. Give her something to nest in so she can sit on them. Eventually she will lose interest. Make sure you reduce hours she's given light, no warm mushy foods, lots of calcium, no petting below the neck area, and other things I'm sure I'm forgetting right now:rolleyes:

Expect more eggs but she might just be giving you random lone egg. The only time my one female conure laid eggs she gave me around 6 and hasn't laid since that one time.

If you do have a male somewhere get fake eggs to replace the real ones as they are laid. If she starts giving you more than 6 eggs you will want to unsettle her to try and snap her out of the egg laying. Things like putting her in a sleeping cage at night, rearranging her cage, stuff to throw her off and out of the mating mindset.

OP
M

Mgebraski

Jan 29, 2017
Thank you for your comments. She is the only bird we have and after laying the egg seems to be better behaved.
I did remove the egg since I didn't want to encourage her but will put something in her cage that she can nest in if she wants and wait and see.
Margo

Most Reactions