Just ordered an Aviator harness...

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
Skye, Cloud, Beep, Lilac - American budgies
Today I decided to order an XSmall aviator harness for Sammy, since I'm letting him grow back his flight feathers. I don't know much about how the harnesses work, but one things for sure...

HE CERTAINLY WON'T LET ME PUT THAT THING ON HIM!

Lol, but really... I just can't see it. But I really hope I can get him to get used to it. So when I do get the harness, what steps should I take to "train" him to be okay with the harness? I find him to be an extra sensitive bird, because he always runs from any hand coming from above, and touching his back. He definitely isn't one of those "lay on the palm of your hand and sleep" birds (I think this is largely because his breeder handled him any way she wanted to, even though he wasn't bonded to her. But he might have been imprinted on her, I'm not sure).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
In the mean time you need to get him used to being restrained in your hand, have you touch him all over, and move his wings and feet. Don't even bother opening the package until you can do all those things without upsetting him.

When you do open the package leave the harness in it and take out the training DVD. Don't even take the harness out until you have watched the entire DVD. Then do everything the DVD says. Expect it to take several months of work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
GlitchTown

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
In the mean time you need to get him used to being restrained in your hand, have you touch him all over, and move his wings and feet. Don't even bother opening the package until you can do all those things without upsetting him.

When you do open the package leave the harness in it and take out the training DVD. Don't even take the harness out until you have watched the entire DVD. Then do everything the DVD says. Expect it to take several months of work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I figured as much, which is fine with me honestly. The first snow fell yesterday so it's extremely cold here, I'm in no hurry at all.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Right advice. It took me 6 or more months to get Salty in his. But first he needs to be comfortable with you touching him all over. And figure out what his favorite treat it. That now becomes your training tool. Eventually you want him to voluntarily put his head thru th head loop. Hold it open ith two fingers and lure him with his treat. at first , reward him for just getting his head near it, and gradually pull the treat further and further back, so he has to put his head thru to get the treat. And you shoould also be working on giving head and neck scratches, under his wings if he will let you. It really does take months of training ith him EVERYDAY, religiously. Salty and I have just celebrated our 500th training session, and he does a lot of tricks, but always we include our harness excercises. Parrots do best working at their own pace. If you want to watch a video on how we do it, go to Saltys youtube channel and watch How Not to put a Harness on....eventually we do get it on.
Good Luck!

OP
GlitchTown

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
Right advice. It took me 6 or more months to get Salty in his. But first he needs to be comfortable with you touching him all over. And figure out what his favorite treat it. That now becomes your training tool. Eventually you want him to voluntarily put his head thru th head loop. Hold it open ith two fingers and lure him with his treat. at first , reward him for just getting his head near it, and gradually pull the treat further and further back, so he has to put his head thru to get the treat. And you shoould also be working on giving head and neck scratches, under his wings if he will let you. It really does take months of training ith him EVERYDAY, religiously. Salty and I have just celebrated our 500th training session, and he does a lot of tricks, but always we include our harness excercises. Parrots do best working at their own pace. If you want to watch a video on how we do it, go to Saltys youtube channel and watch How Not to put a Harness on....eventually we do get it on.
Good Luck!
Thank you for the helpful info! The only issue with me most of the time is consistency. It's often very difficult to stay consistent with school and work in the mix, but I don't see it impossible... I'm prepared to take as much time as I need [emoji16]

Most Reactions

Latest posts