Just Rodney and Me Hanging Out

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Yes Inger, he is completely the opposite of all I was told and all I saw in his relationship with the previous owner.
The previous owner was good to him but for some reason they just didn't click...it was the owner before the previous one that called Rodney "money in his pocket" he certainly has been round the block a bit, for he had a few owners like the "money in the pocket" one, I think, before arriving at the owner Rodney had before me .:green:

I’m so glad he’s finally found his last home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree! This was a match made in heaven!!! Wow is he in the right place now. This is a love story!!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Hee hee Jim they must have a thing about the glasses LoL.. he really thinks they are for nabbing and running off with hee hee :) Does Amy try to run off with yours ?

Thank you Inger, hopefully this will be his last stop health permitting :green:

99% of the time Amy is on my shoulder when he tries to snatch 'em off my head.
Just a little LOL here..one day,YEARS ago,my family had a birthday party for mom,I was at work unfortunately and mom took Amy outside to join everyone ( her BD was late June) My brother David smokes a pipe (a corn-cob type). Well according to the story, Amy was on the grass walking about and David laid his pipe on the ground for whatever reason. Amy PICKED UP the pipe,by the stem (proper way if you were going to smoke it) and started to run away with it!! Mom said if they had recorded it,Amy would have won $10k for "America's Funniest Video's" lol

Jim

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
What a lovely boy Rodney seems to be! It’s always amazing what good judges of character birds can be and how quickly they can transform when they feel loved and safe.

P.S. Kiwi, my BFA, also liked your singing and got very ruffled. I don’t sing to him because my singing voice is like nails on a chalkboard and he’d probably hide in terror lol. So nice of you to sing to Rodney though:)

OP
BIRDIGIRL

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Hee hee Jim they must have a thing about the glasses LoL.. he really thinks they are for nabbing and running off with hee hee :) Does Amy try to run off with yours ?

Thank you Inger, hopefully this will be his last stop health permitting :green:

99% of the time Amy is on my shoulder when he tries to snatch 'em off my head.
Just a little LOL here..one day,YEARS ago,my family had a birthday party for mom,I was at work unfortunately and mom took Amy outside to join everyone ( her BD was late June) My brother David smokes a pipe (a corn-cob type). Well according to the story, Amy was on the grass walking about and David laid his pipe on the ground for whatever reason. Amy PICKED UP the pipe,by the stem (proper way if you were going to smoke it) and started to run away with it!! Mom said if they had recorded it,Amy would have won $10k for "America's Funniest Video's" lol

Jim

That's Hilarious Jim...We miss so many of these comical moments when we can't get V the camera on them ...Amazon's really are a laugh a minute when they get into things ...They bring great joy and laughter everywhere they go LoL :)

OP
BIRDIGIRL

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
What a lovely boy Rodney seems to be! It’s always amazing what good judges of character birds can be and how quickly they can transform when they feel loved and safe.

P.S. Kiwi, my BFA, also liked your singing and got very ruffled. I don’t sing to him because my singing voice is like nails on a chalkboard and he’d probably hide in terror lol. So nice of you to sing to Rodney though:)

You should sing to him, they really do love it when we sing to them especially if you sing their name in the song too...never worry about the voice or your singing ability, for to your parrot you will always sound better than any of the stars or celebrities you know ...give it a go...I learned, part ways into taming Mr Biggles, that singing was the key to the door of his heart, so I started early with Rodney ...They really do love it ...I bet when you sing to Kiwi you will see those feathers ruffle up with glee too :)

OP
BIRDIGIRL

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Well the store was out of Parrot toys...it seems I bought all their Amazon size Parrot toys last week, hee hee, so today I had to go instead to the doggy aisle to see if I could bring my boy home something nice from town...Rodney loves toys so it had to be a toy.
Before I had it hanging properly in his cage he was grabbing it and beaking it and footing it with his toes...he really doesn't care that the toy was meant for a dog...or who knows, maybe he does, and he is showing the dogs his new toy saying, "hey doggies, look what I got " :)

[ame="https://youtu.be/C3eip3AANPg"]Rodney Loves New Toys - YouTube[/ame]

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

I wish Amy would play more often with his toys:eek: The only time he does is if he is excited about something,like being on BB's roof,or if I'm trying to get him on his perch stick while he is on his playtop and he rolls around on his back, grabbing at whatever toy is close to him and just being goofy.
Rodney is very lucky to have you!

Jim

OP
BIRDIGIRL

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
I wish Amy would play more often with his toys:eek: The only time he does is if he is excited about something,like being on BB's roof,or if I'm trying to get him on his perch stick while he is on his playtop and he rolls around on his back, grabbing at whatever toy;) is close to him and just being goofy.
Rodney is very lucky to have you!

Jim

Awwe thats so cute, what Amy does...Rodney does love his toys,:red: but as to being lucky I think I'm the lucky one :)

PickleMeDickles

May 17, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
SassyByrd (DYH Amazon) JoJo (GCC) Betty (GCC) DEARLY LOVED fids lost to “Teflon Disaster� 12/17 RIP Pickles (GC),RIP Winston (Sun), RIP Lady PLEASE TAKE 5 MINUTES &TOSS OUT ALL YOUR TEFLON NOW!
Jim, you have no clue what bad singing is. My mom was so horrible the nuns made her silently mouth the words to ?nun songs? I think it was some mandatory chorus thingy. Anyhow, my mom’s voice was that of an angels compared to mine. I don’t need nice words or reassurance because, yes...it’s truly that bad. But to SassyByrd it sounds wonderful. So I shut all my windows (to spare anyone outside) and let go. And the bird loves it. I’m trying to teach her “Hey good lookin, what you got cookin” for months now. Oh, and then hubby played that “Lollipop” song from the 1950s and she picked that up after the second chorus! Go figure!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Jim, you have no clue what bad singing is. My mom was so horrible the nuns made her silently mouth the words to ?nun songs? I think it was some mandatory chorus thingy. Anyhow, my mom’s voice was that of an angels compared to mine. I don’t need nice words or reassurance because, yes...it’s truly that bad. But to SassyByrd it sounds wonderful. So I shut all my windows (to spare anyone outside) and let go. And the bird loves it. I’m trying to teach her “Hey good lookin, what you got cookin” for months now. Oh, and then hubby played that “Lollipop” song from the 1950s and she picked that up after the second chorus! Go figure!

LOL too funny! :D They pick up only what they want...boogers that they are :rolleyes:

Jim

OP
BIRDIGIRL

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Ha ha they sure do pick up what they want but Also they enjoy listening to their Favourire voice , so your Sassy is staying silent in the hope you sing all the more ... hee hee I often think that they can train us way better than we can train them LoL :)

OP
BIRDIGIRL

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
All Cute and Innocent LoL :)

birdigirl-albums-my-fids-picture21911-20191024-114327.html

Last edited:
OP
BIRDIGIRL

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Okay tried to post a pic above but neither url or pic is showing sorry guys ...I followed all the instructions but its just not posting for me :(

OP
BIRDIGIRL

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
I decided to give up on the pics and go back to the videos...pics take forever anyway to upload on my weak internet :)

Rodney and I are starting to play Peek-a-Boo...we play it everywhere, outside his cage and inside, but I make sure to do it a few times during the day inside his cage so that he is used of me playing with him inside his territory and the hope is that it will keep him from becoming cage aggressive at any point. He had that tendency in his last home, so I'd like to insure it doesn't happen here if possible ...I think he likes the game...I chose it because Rodney can already say Peek-a-Boo and says it in context, like when I go behind a door...someone, at some point in his little life played this game with him, it took a day or two to get him to understand Peek-a-Boo could be played with disposable Kitchen towel sheets and he's not fully there yet, as he is not yet comfortable enough with the game to say Peek-a-Boo himself...I will know we have nailed it when I hear him say Peek-a-Boo himself hee hee :)
[ame="https://youtu.be/bMEMUU3CFO0"]Peek-a-Boo Rodney - YouTube[/ame]

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Mary Rodneys colors are so strikingly beautiful! And he seems very much at ease. Sa far this seems a wonderful adoption story.

OP
BIRDIGIRL

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Mary Rodneys colors are so strikingly beautiful! And he seems very much at ease. Sa far this seems a wonderful adoption story.
Thank you Al hope you are feelkng better .

Since coming here and going on the veggies the blue seems a bit more blue and I'm noticing red spots on his face too that werent so visible before... Ive also been spraying/misting him, we didnt move to a real shower as yet cos Im letting Rodney dictate the pace, but he is very confident and at ease with most things ...if he is unsure about something like an unusual sound he will do a side walk on the perch and draw closer to me which is really nice to see at this point.

I have been really lucky with him...he only nipped me once and that wasnt even a good nip just a tiny pinch that told me he didnt like it when I tried to scritch him and it was my fault as my hand moved a bit too fast too soon to these special areas ...ha ha couldnt resist trying gor thst head scratch, but Rodney was not impressed LoL so we wont try it again unless he offers his head to me which I am hoping he will one day do.

I dont understand the aggression that was there before coming here ...it may be that Rodney is afraid of a flock of birds round him...and by association is sfraid of the the aviary keeper also...maybe he was attacked in one of the aviaries he was sold into...I really dont know and I expect we will never know now, but he has been a virtual Angel since I got him. I was told he was an Aviary Bird and that they had to catch him and cage him seperately because of his temperament and the fact he couldnt get on with other birds ...I expect they probably grabbed him with gloves on or something cos he hated the glove when they caught him with it...I dont use a glove so I dont know whst his reaction to a glove on me would be, but so far he has been very gentle with me. I also have been careful in all my interactions with him to insure that his beak is always occupied if I try to steal a little moment touching him or stroking his toes. I don't try to scritch him anymore but Im watching and waiting for when that head of his bows down to me for a scritch :) Its like waiting for a baby to take their first step...I think he will enjoy a scritch as Im guessing that Rodney was once handtame and very probably hand raised.

Rodney had also started to chew his tail feathers before coming...thankfully I have not noticed him chew them here ...at least not yet and I sm hoping he never will. They are bit ragged and broken at the ebds but not bad.

OP
BIRDIGIRL

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
[ame="https://youtu.be/WP1GXzI4g9A"]A Birdy View of the feathers - YouTube[/ame]

Most Reactions

Latest posts