just wondering

birdbrainzz4me

Dec 22, 2012
michigan
Parrots
former m&f si Eclectus
ok, so i am pretty set on getting a gw macaw, but back when i developed a love for large parrots, it was a m2 that had gotten me inspired. and a m2 was originally my dream bird. i love the fact that they strive to cuddle. i know being a velcro bird can be somewhat of a nuisance to some people, but i love, love, love a suck up. so i was wondering what is so bad about m2's besides the fact that they have a neurotic personality, and are loud, and dusty. aren't they only neurotic if their owner isn't fulfilling their needs? i would like to learn more about them as well. i can only learn so much from the commercial sites. i think it's great about this parrot forum that there are even more levels of knowledge to be learned on here. as far as the personal husbandry of a bird and what every day parront's go through and their experiences. i feel like the members here aren't trying to feed a line of bs and i like to hear things as they are and not candy coated. but im also thinking that maybe just one gw is good enough for me because i want to pour my everything into it, and not have to worry about jealousy issues. and with other birds a m2 might end up developing some of these bad habits because the love from me has to be shared with other fids. or do m2's do ok with multiple bird situations as long as they are brought into them correctly. the reason i chose a gw over a m2 was because i have read and from what i have observed from here , are more independent than the m2's. yes i believe whole heartedly that i have what it takes to be a good parront, but i also worried about the times i might have to be gone for a little while for work or grocery shoping. or just going to places i can't take a fid with me. i feel a macaw would do better than a 2 if i was to go some where with out them. rare occasion's because im pretty much a home body. if i do go out of the house it's to a family members. and their feather butts are coming with me. no questions asked. unless it's winter but i hibernate in the winter so i'm not worrying there either. i tend to stay home more in the winter times. i mean who likes to go out in the cold. not this chickypoo :rolleyes:

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
Moluccans are simply extremely difficult birds to keep. Yes, they are also awesome birds to keep! Unfortunately, the owner can do everything exactly "right" and an M2 can still develop problems with screaming, plucking, biting, even mutilating themselves.

Even a well-adjusted M2 can absolutely shatter your ear drums on a daily basis. Normal baseline vocalizations generally happen twice a day, for maybe 20 minutes and it is the loudest screaming you can possibly imagine. And this is a happy bird! A troubled bird can scream longer and louder than you thought possible.

They are simply awesome birds, but certainly not for a novice, and not for the faint of heart.

And, if you live in any kind of close housing---apartment, town house --- forget it.

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
And, if you live in any kind of close housing---apartment, town house --- forget it.

That would also apply to a Green Wing, granted mine aren't loud often, but when they are....:eek::52::11:

This past Halloween Deb took Conner trick or treating and I had a window or two open while I was home giving out candy. I sat out on the porch with the front door open and the window open on the storm door. The GW's weren't liking all those strangers on the porch.:rolleyes: to put it mildly. Deb said she could hear them 2 streets over.:eek:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
The GW's weren't liking all those strangers on the porch.:rolleyes: to put it mildly. Deb said she could hear them 2 streets over.:eek:

I totally believe that! The first time Ripley felt like "hollering" (right next to my ear), I heard bells ringing in my head for a while. The next day a neighbor, who lives 3 houses over asked me if I was butchering an animal in my house....and that was with all windows CLOSED. :eek:

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
Monte..Scarlet macaw, Seminole...yellow napped amazon, Starburst... sun conure...Rain, cinnamon green cheek.
When I go for my morning run, I can often hear Monte about 2-3 blocks over...his morning squawking at 7:45.. I use it to determine my pace :) but yeah, big birds are LOUD..

OP
birdbrainzz4me

birdbrainzz4me

Dec 22, 2012
michigan
Parrots
former m&f si Eclectus
this bums me out. :( i knew they were loud but i guess i didn't realize how loud they really can be. i live in a trailer park, manufactured home community. i hate the way trailer park sounds because not all of us are white trash. i hate that stereotype so much. i hope i'm not looked at that way, for saying what type of living i am in. i thought maybe if there was some yard distance between homes, that the am and pm squawking rituals would be more tolerable. verses living in an apartment or condo where the houses were wall to wall from each other. but is living in a subdivision no different? you still have neighbors that are maybe a few more feet away from each other. so my idea was a logical one at least. :/ what do you think? :( unfortunately it doesn't sound like it would be a wise choice. even though i would really love to have one. and would be a excellent parront for it, living quarters are not suited for a macaw. it makes me wonder how the people who live in subdivisions can do it. i'm not trying to cause any negativity it's just a logical thought.

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
Well a lot depends on how well insulated the house is and what type of windows you have (insulated vs. single pane). With all doors and windows closed you wouldn't hear ours unless you're right next to the bird area wall or on the front porch. Garages are on either side of my house (one is mine, the other is my neighbors).

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Heather, please don't be silly! Why would we think of you in a negative way???? There is NOTHING wrong with your living situation! And you WILL be a great parront! :)

Not all GWs are screamers. I swear, there are probably more "yippy yappy" dogs that are annoying than the occasional hollering of a mac. WHEN they vocalize it's loud. But they don't all vocalize from morning til night. ;) I've had Ripley for a little over a week now, and I can count on one hand how many times he's actually "let lose". :) And it only lasts about 30 seconds or so.

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
I agree with Wendy on that. The only time mine make a ruckus is if they want something. This AM they wanted their cage covers off!!! It's always either that or food or they just want me that causes it. :)

OP
birdbrainzz4me

birdbrainzz4me

Dec 22, 2012
michigan
Parrots
former m&f si Eclectus
ok sheeeeeeeeew thanks wendy and warfrat! warfrat explain what you would consider insulated. to me it's insulated but the walls are the cheap type of dry wall ,very thin. i need a new window but i have a friend that works for a window company that can get me a good deal on a window. i was probably thinking of how to sound proof a room. and possible getting a sound proof window put in, if it's within reasonable price. that's my hold up right now. i gotta fix up my spare bedroom that i rented out. and how would i go about sound proofing a room the easiest way. and that is relieving to know that the squawks are just short term. we had fostered a hawk head parrot for a short while and their natural scream was like a house alarm going off through out the day. i could handle the loudness but the random turrets syndrome fits he had was enough to make a person go mad crazy! :O i was hopeing that there was some kind of chance that it was possible that a gw would work in the house, just as long as i have the right set up, and the bird is content. or else i would have to start all over again and find a quieter species. i like lively ,and macaws seem to have the spunk i like. and the lovey cuddly side that cockatoos can have also, just not as smothering. thank you guys once more for being so supportive with all of this. it truely shows if a person wants something bad enough, they will go great lengths to do what they have to do, to achieve it successfully! :)

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
There are many ways to soundproof a room but the key thing would be making sure it's "birdsafe" for them. I really can't speak as to cost because that would depend on the material used and the size of the room. :) Your best bet would be go to a Home Depot/Lowes and talk to someone there concerning it and make sure they are aware that it can't be poisonous/harmful to the birds, I'm sure they could help you out. As for the windows, talk to your friend about the windows, he should be able to tell what you have now just by looking at them. Hope this helps! :)

OP
birdbrainzz4me

birdbrainzz4me

Dec 22, 2012
michigan
Parrots
former m&f si Eclectus
it helps out tremendously. i knew what was safe to use around birds was going to be a must. that was already on the check list. maybe i can look that up myself. i need a new window anyway's. one of my old roomates broke it. i believe it was a double pane but the inner glass sheet got shattered. i think i might have to look at some diy sites and see what they got for ideas.

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
Feel free to ask more questions Heather, I was a contractor/carpenter for MANY years. :) Best of luck to you. :)

OP
birdbrainzz4me

birdbrainzz4me

Dec 22, 2012
michigan
Parrots
former m&f si Eclectus
don't worry i always ask questions when i have them. i can't handle not knowing when i am uncertain. i always love learning new things. knowledge is such a wonderful gift, and it's a shame some people don't use it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts