Just wondering

caliopi

Jan 30, 2010
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot
King Parrot
I notice numerous members have several birds and birds of different species and breeds and I am just wondering how you manage the bird jealousy when you have multiple birds?

The reason for my question is we are seriously considering getting a female eclectus for my husband and I am wondering how you manage when you bring a new bird into the home and how if they pick their person do you manage when both birds are out of the cage and with their human whom they have the strongest bond with?

I really want to get this right. I made a huge error before I bought Puffin when I purchased a King Parrot whom I mistakenly thought was hand reared and it was only when we picked him up that we found out he had never been out of an avairy and was parent raised. Don't get me wrong, he is a beautiful bird and we love him but I feel really bad that he is outside in the avairy alone and Puffin is inside and playing with us and having all this attention.

I have tried to get a female to keep him company but they are impossible to find as most are sold in pairs and I am not having much luck finding a suitable companion bird either so if we get a third bird I want to be absolutely sure I have it right for us and the birds?:green:

Riley's mom

Banned
Banned
Dec 17, 2009
Holiday, Florida
Parrots
Military's, African Greys, Blue and Gold, Goffin, conures, quaker, lovebird, senegal parrot
I have 14 babies, 6 of them being "big birds". They each have their own play stands and come out at the same time. I really don't have a problem with jealousy. Not one of my birds are caged together. :green1:

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
I think, as with dogs or cats and even children, the introduction needs to be made slowly and patiently. I've read that they should be in separate cages that are placed close together for at least 30 days. This is what we're doing with our birds - our first bird has been with us since late August, and we brought our 2nd bird home about 3 weeks ago.

They can see each other and get used to each other while keeping everyone safe. Ultimately, we'd like them to share a cage - we have a HUGE cage that is easily large enough - however, we understand that this may never happen. They will tolerate each other on the same play perch as long as Jade (new bird) stays away from Max's (original bird) Brussels Sprouts. He's even starting to tolerate her when she sits on my lap while he's on my shoulder...but she'd better not cuddle with me during his shoulder time!

They're getting better, but I expect it to take some time.

Most Reactions

Latest posts