Kiwi's out and about thread 2018

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Love this entire thread.......I had never seen a pak like that! Makes me wonder if Baby would tolerate it...she loves mini tents and boxes so this isn't much different! She's camped in a tent with us soooooo I wonder :)
Other Question is how secure they are with amazons who like to chew & destroy things. ?:)

Kiwi had no problem with going in the POB as a stationary hiding spot (when it was new), but it did take some time to acclimate him to moving around in it and riding facing backwards (I wear as a backpack). But after a few weeks of short then increasingly longer sessions moving in it, he learned to stay balanced and everything and it's been easy going since then:)

They do make a reinforced version with stainless mesh and offer a repair service (which I'm sure you have to pay for, but still less than the cost of a new pack I'm sure) if your bird chews it.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
. Although he has figured out how to work the zippers and if he can see them he'll pry them apart in about a minute, so we've had to be careful to push them aaaaaalllll the way to the top.

Are you able to take him into all of those stores, or just HD and Petsmart?

Since it has 2 zippers, why not just use a little padlock or even a little split ring to secure shut so they can't be pried apart?

I've never had any store tell me I couldn't bring him in. Most places, the staff loves him:rolleyes: I don't take him to grocery stores or restaurants without outdoor dining areas though. I don't like it when people bring their (pet) dogs to those places, so out of respect for those who may be as un-fond of birds as I am of dogs around food (all that fur and slobber? Yuck!). I also don't trust he'd behave and not freak out in a loud shrilly noise way in a place with lots of food around:rolleyes:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
That sounds like a math equation: Amazon + place with lots of food = loud shrilly noise when not allowed direct access, now!!! Yup, it is a well founded math equation. :D And as basic as 1 + 2 = 3.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
. Although he has figured out how to work the zippers and if he can see them he'll pry them apart in about a minute, so we've had to be careful to push them aaaaaalllll the way to the top.

Are you able to take him into all of those stores, or just HD and Petsmart?

Since it has 2 zippers, why not just use a little padlock or even a little split ring to secure shut so they can't be pried apart?

I've never had any store tell me I couldn't bring him in. Most places, the staff loves him:rolleyes: I don't take him to grocery stores or restaurants without outdoor dining areas though. I don't like it when people bring their (pet) dogs to those places, so out of respect for those who may be as un-fond of birds as I am of dogs around food (all that fur and slobber? Yuck!). I also don't trust he'd behave and not freak out in a loud shrilly noise way in a place with lots of food around:rolleyes:

I have never taken Amy to a large grocery store..just the small market right down the street for just a couple of things and then out..and to the convenience store that is owned/run by Jonesy's parronts..but he has gone to Wal-Mart and Home Depot,Lowes,Dunkin Donuts without anyone complaining :)

Jim

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
That sounds like a math equation: Amazon + place with lots of food = loud shrilly noise when not allowed direct access, now!!! Yup, it is a well founded math equation. :D And as basic as 1 + 2 = 3.

Egads, Sailboat's Corollary of Amazonia! Move over, Pythagorus...

CKP

Feb 16, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Maverick - BFA (hatchdate: 05/04/2016)

We may have to start using a little carabiner clip or something if he figures out how to open it while hanging upside down!

I completely agree with the food thing, we'll take Mav to get frozen yogurt and share plain fruit with him or something, but the one time we took him for a full meal we had to take turns eating because of so many people asking questions and "can I hold him?" (no) and "can I take his picture?" (ask him) and "can you make him say something?" (can't make him do a dang thing) and "hmmm I want a parrot!!" :rolleyes:

Sounds like Kiwi has lots of friends in the retail business!!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

asking questions and "can I hold him?" (no) and "can I take his picture?" (ask him) and "can you make him say something?" (can't make him do a dang thing) and "hmmm I want a parrot!!"

"Can't make him do a dang thing" LOL how true!!

I get that "make him talk" thing all the time! :rolleyes:

Jim

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
asking questions and "can I hold him?" (no) and "can I take his picture?" (ask him) and "can you make him say something?" (can't make him do a dang thing) and "hmmm I want a parrot!!"

"Can't make him do a dang thing" LOL how true!!

I get that "make him talk" thing all the time! :rolleyes:

Jim

Amazon has the perfect 'species' for those who don't get that live parrots are intelligent, sentient beings, not broken record players who sit on a perch and look "pretty"!

https://www.amazon.com/Gemmy-Talkin...pID=513jm7E5yOL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Last edited:
OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Not an out and about story per se, but still a cute anecdote about the creature of darkness:D

So a few years back my husband commandeered my desk when he got a work from home position. Finally, I got around to ordering a little computer desk for myself. Now, I am very experienced assembling pre-made furniture and have in fact built several pieces of furniture from the raw lumber to my own specs now without using any guides or plans whatsoever. I can generally see how simple flat-pack furniture should go together, often without the need for instructions. Little desk with like 9 pieces, should be simple right? LOL. The instructions were ordered wrong (i.e. you couldn't assemble in the order they said), there were several missing screw holes and the instructions were less than clear regarding how to attach the pull out part keyboard shelf hardware which was like none I've seen before with many holes, none of which seemed to line up with the frame or shelf itself. Took me the better part of a half hour to assemble something that should've taken more like 10 minutes tops:rolleyes:

It's probably a good thing Kiwi doesn't talk because I don't exactly have a PG vocabulary:eek:;):eek: Anyways, as I masterfully expressed my frustration through colorful language, I notice a shredding noise and some ominous squealing in the background. Look over and what do I see? :green: had crawled down the side of his cage and was gleefully engaging in the mayhem by chewing up/flinging all over one of the box flaps which had ended up perilously close to his cage. He may not be the 'petting type' but he sure does love to join in regardless of what activity you're doing! He probably thought I was having great fun (that or wanted to kill the evil box, which so clearly was contributing to his mommy's frustrations:03:). Naturally, he stopped the second I saw him, flared his wings and then resumed his box-destruction. So cute/evil!

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It continues to frustrate me just how bad the instructions have gotten, if included at all. The lack of drilled holes or ones in the incorrect location continues to drift into deepest darkest space.

I had always dry (test) assembled this type of product as they defined the statement: Quality Control at the Lowest Possible Denominator!

It has come to the point that I never start such a project without a full series of drill bits and a collection of screws, etc... from past projects.

Not having the full support of an Amazon, as a partner in such an undertaking, would be just foolhardy! :D

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
It continues to frustrate me just how bad the instructions have gotten, if included at all. The lack of drilled holes or ones in the incorrect location continues to drift into deepest darkest space.

I had always dry (test) assembled this type of product as they defined the statement: Quality Control at the Lowest Possible Denominator!

It has come to the point that I never start such a project without a full series of drill bits and a collection of screws, etc... from past projects.

Not having the full support of an Amazon, as a partner in such an undertaking, would be just foolhardy! :D

I don't get why they bothered with the instructions in the first place. I'm still unclear if I assembled the keyboard shelf they way it is "supposed" to be, but it is functional and not crooked or anything, so it stays like it is! It was missing screw holes in addition to the very confusing hardware. Normally, you disengage the 2 parts of a runner (same hardware used on drawers) by lifting "up" as you pull them apart, but this one has a small piece of plastic inside you must pry up with a flathead screwdriver to get them to disengage. Can't imagine what 'genius' designed such a thing! Took me longer to figure out how to get those *&^% runners apart than anything else. When I finally did, no clear indication of which set of holes to use to attach either....

Naturally, amazons whilst doing a little project like this are never "optional";):D:green:. When boxes arrive, he is always eager to check out the contents, and the bigger the box, the more exciting it is to him!

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Another cute Kiwi anecdote (this time about an actual little trip out) :)

So, Mr. Kiwi has almost always driven in my car with me. My car drives rough and loud. You can feel it when you're going fast (and Kiwi likes going fast, makes the most amusing squeals of joy:D). After my husband got his new (to us) car this morning, we decided to take it for a bit of a drive to a super delicious take out place we rarely go to due to being 25/30 minute drive away. Naturally, the new car needed the blue front seal of approval. Sadly, it did not pass muster. He seemed not to enjoy the smoother/quieter ride as much. Go figure.

While I ran in to grab the takeout, hubby stayed in the car with the offended avian. Amusingly, a guy was apparently outside near the car and told his dog "lets go buddy". I tell that to Kiwi all the time. Apparently, he took it that the man was speaking to him and according to hubby made a very few choice noises of offense- "you're not my mommy, I shall go nowhere with you (and I'm not you're "buddy" either!)":p He was much more animated on the drive home, as there was food in the car. Sadly, due to his renal diet he only got a very tiny piece of a sweet potato fry and that's it:(

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

If Amy can get in touch with Mr. Kiwi, I am most sure he'd tell Kiwi.." Look Bro..it's a CAR! and you're GOING OUT..to FUN places..(except to that place all the servant's seem to be wearing white coats,and do unthinkable stuff to us :eek: :eek:) so enjoy! believe me when I say,it sure as heck beats FLAPFLAPFLAPPING :)"

Jim

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
:(:(:( Poor Kiwi. We have family in town visiting and they really want to see the Oregon coast. Unfortunately, it'll be in the mid-50s and rainy today so Kiwi can't come. He surely won't love being left alone all day while we're off having fun!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

:(:(:( Poor Kiwi. We have family in town visiting and they really want to see the Oregon coast. Unfortunately, it'll be in the mid-50s and rainy today so Kiwi can't come. He surely won't love being left alone all day while we're off having fun!

Amy feels Kiwi's pain April..:eek: He has been very eager to go out and about with Daddy-O but he has a very full set of long sleeves on his arms...that'll be rectified Wednesday when he and Beebs go see their CAV for their annual wellness check and birdicure.
Hang in there Kiwi! I'm sure Mama will make up for it when she gets home :D

Jim

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Julio is a road hound and what type of transportation does not get much consideration as long as he can see what is going on!

This weekend, the much fabled 1990 MB-300 CE came out of Winter storage. It's being a Coupe style allows Julio ample view near 360 degrees around. That said, it sits much lower than the SUV and that adds to the overall ride experience, since it feels like it is going much faster. I swear he smiles when we pull away from a traffic light! Its silky ride is a joy for me, but he is also a speed junky, so the wonders of the ride is over looked for the rate at which things go by.

That 1990 MB-300 CE came standard with an S series drive train, which places a huge smile on Julio's face and yes, mine also.

Last edited:
OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Geez...someone was NOT pleased he was 'abandoned' at home all day yesterday whilst the humans went out and had fun! Actually, while parts were fun, it was pretty cold and rainy, especially chilly on the beach. He would have been a birdsicle out there in that wind! We got the full display of doom (pinning, flared tail, general attitude of "death to all humans" etc...) upon returning home. But, he quickly became clingy and stayed up later than his normal bed time sitting on my husband honking at us as we talked because he wanted to remind us he could contribute valuable things to a conversation too:rolleyes: (i.e. PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ME AGAIN HUMANS!). I did bring my buddy home a French fry, so he was pleased with that. He got half last night and I saved the other half for today, so hopefully that is appeasement enough for the blue fronted beastie:p

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Kiwi has logged quite a bit of car time this past week. On the 4th we drove about an hour east and saw the "bridge of the gods". My husband drives like real life fast and furious, so Kiwi was most pleased about the drive up/back (Kiwi likes to go fast). He seems to be warming up to riding in hubby's new car more, seems to like the little moonroof, though he still seems to prefer the much louder engine and rougher ride in mine.

Today he came with me to the hardware store, which seems to be his favorite kind of store to visit (though he doesn't know grocery stores exist as he's never been in one:p). He seems to find the 'warehouse' like environment, noises and products stimulating and of course doesn't ever turn down attention from strangers:rolleyes: When we parked, there was a cart in the space next to me so as not to have it roll into my car I put the POB in it and pushed it into the store. The noise/vibrations of pushing a cart on asphalt evoked an interesting reaction in Kiwi- he kept ruffling his feathers and doing this happy head shake he does when excited. SO CUTE:green: I will have to keep in mind to snag a cart and push it through the parking lot (if convenient) in the future rather than grabbing one when I get inside the store.

Most Reactions

Latest posts