Kiwi's reaction to his new training toys

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
First, I regrettably did not get any good photos:( but I finally opened the box from funtimebirdy today. Kiwi KNOWS when I am unpacking toys for him so I immediately got a little visitor as I unwrapped everything on the floor. Boy was he excited! The swizzle sticks and puzzle are going to be a hit once I start showing him what to do with them (he liked the pieces a whole lot and ran off with one;)). The skateboard may be a bit more of a challenge. I sat him on it, from which he immediately climbed down and realized he could push it:rolleyes:. Now he knows he can move it around (several years ago he had a little cart he would push) which will complicate things when it comes to the concept of him riding it. I think we may have better luck when my husband is home, he always listens to Joe more than me:31: Oh well, the point is for him to have fun:) I'll be keeping everyone posted on whether he actually learns his shapes/colors/puzzles/to ride the skateboard or if he just makes off with the pieces to play with them. If nothing else he is VERY excited about all the new toys!

Simmons

Apr 27, 2015
England
Parrots
orange winged amazon
Sounds like you are going to have your hands full for a while.

I really hope i can get Jerry to the stage i can teach him to do a puzzles of some sort.

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Too cute!
Can't wait to see video! Hint hint :)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I know what you mean...

I always love their reactions when I am toy crafting...

Is that for me?!

I have a toy craft box. They know when it comes out something's up... and their little necks start going...

I always have a few birds waddling over to get a better look, and help out...

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I always have a few birds waddling over to get a better look, and help out...

It wasn't so much of a waddle as a barreling down the cage like a bat out of hell and full charge over to start playing RIGHT NOW:52:! Kiwi is hilariously fearless and intrigued to the point of being a pest when it comes to new toys.

Too cute!
Can't wait to see video! Hint hint

Unfortunately, I cannot for the life of me seem to get videos to work:( I will get lots of pictures though!:)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
HAHAHAH @ Kiwi pushing the skateboard around! He's such a clever boy! I'm sure Joe will show Kiwi how it's done.

And how awesome that he immediately showed interest in the swizzle sticks and the puzzle. :D

Can't wait to see and hear how summer class will progress.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I'm expecting Kiwi to excel in all his summer classes, he has an outstanding teacher/mom.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
That's encouraging to see that Kiwi is at least interested in the pieces and is playing with them :)! I think it would be much harder to start if the bird isn't interested.

I can't wait to see the little green guy skateboarding :D you'll get there!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Oh my Gosh, I can't wait to see pictures! Did you find the puzzle piece he carried off?

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Oh my Gosh, I can't wait to see pictures! Did you find the puzzle piece he carried off?

Yes:) He took it under his cage to maul it;)

HAHAHAH @ Kiwi pushing the skateboard around! He's such a clever boy! I'm sure Joe will show Kiwi how it's done.

Joe got him to sit on it:D I rewarded and praised him. Hopefully within a few weeks we can progress to him riding it! I'm going to start this weekend with the swizzle sticks, which I think will be the easiest out of all the training toys to start with:green:

Most Reactions