Kizzy: the Flying Toddler Stage

OP
Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy - (most likely) female blue-fronted Amazon, hatched on May 1, 2017; Gabby - Male double yellowheaded Amazon, hatched, April 1, 1986; died February 22, 2017
Well, pushing the harness did set us back. She doesn't want to wear the head loop today. The best I could get was for her to sit under the harness and eat seeds. I suppose it could be worse. She could run away every time she sees it.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
What a great video! Kizzy is such a character!

As for the harness, don't be discouraged. Setbacks are par for the course with harness training, but she'll bounce back.

OP
Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy - (most likely) female blue-fronted Amazon, hatched on May 1, 2017; Gabby - Male double yellowheaded Amazon, hatched, April 1, 1986; died February 22, 2017
What a great video! Kizzy is such a character!

As for the harness, don't be discouraged. Setbacks are par for the course with harness training, but she'll bounce back.

I'm glad to hear you say that. :) I had arrived at the same conclusion, but it's nice to hear someone with experience encourage me to keep at it. We'll work on desensitization again tomorrow and skip putting it on her again.

How lucky I was to get such an intelligent, sensitive young Amazon! She's testing me to see how much bite pressure she can get away with. I've tried various methods, but so far the most successful is a loud, "No!" followed by a long glare. Yes, I was worried that yelling might be rewarding her, but she's a sensitive bird, so I think she understands she's doing something I don't like and wants to comply. The glare actually upsets her a little, which makes me feel bad even though it's probably necessary. I know I have predator eyes, so I reserve the glare for serious offenses. After the glare, she sometimes makes whining noises as if to say, "Do you still love me? I need to know right now that you still love me!" Once she's properly contrite, I forgive her and she's gentle for awhile. Of course, she usually ramps it up again. She can't help being rambunctious because she's a young Amazon, full of insane amounts of silliness and energy.

She's teaching me, too. Sometimes when she gets silly, I'm the one who plays too rough. If I accidentally hurt her or make her feel uncomfortable or do something stupid, I feel I deserve any bite coming my way. Yes, it's always the human's fault.

I've been around a lot of parrots. I worked at two pet stores (AKA hell holes, but I tried to make them better) and raised CAGs and Senegals. This is an exceptionally intelligent bird. I didn't get a CAG because I felt greys might be too intelligent, sensitive and demanding for me. Instead, I got an Amazon that borders on CAG intelligence, sensitivity and behavior. :) Surprise! It's been a challenge and will continue to be a challenge, but I welcome it. I need the stamina to meet this challenge. I'll certainly do my best.

OP
Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
I've heard three new phrases this morning:

• I love you.
  • I gotcha.
  • It's all right.

Also in the repertoire:

• Wheeeee!
  • Rooster crow
  • A snippet from Mozart's The Magic Flute (Salty does it better, at least for now)
  • Peekaboo
  • Up
  • Good girl
  • Hello
  • Hi
  • Uh-oh
  • Random singing / practicing vibrato

There may be more. I'll have to listen more closely.

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Kizzy is coming along fast! She will likely outstrip Salty in talking at any rate. He picks up such odd things. Latest - in the middle of singing or mumbling to himself he shouts out " LOU FERRIGNO !!".

OP
Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy is coming along fast! She will likely outstrip Salty in talking at any rate. He picks up such odd things. Latest - in the middle of singing or mumbling to himself he shouts out " LOU FERRIGNO !!".

Salty and Lou have the green thing going on, eh? Recruit Kermit and you could write an arrangement of "It's Not Easy Being Green" for a trio plus pirate / mechanic. The bridge should feature growling from the Hulk and Salty.

Does Salty play-growl? Kizzy sometimes play-growls so loudly it's almost a screech, then she rears back and strikes, applying almost zero pressure to my fingers. XD Usually, the louder she is, the more gentle she is. As cool as that may sound, we're still working on bite pressure and will be for quite some time. Kizzy still fully deserves the nickname "Pinchy McPliersface." She is getting better, but as you well know, training a parrot requires patience. I should try to channel you during harness training sessions. ;)

I wish I lived close enough to visit Salty. I've never known a YSA and he seems like a remarkable little fellow. Plus, little Amazons are absolutely adorable. Kizzy stays right around 400 grams, which is considerably smaller than my DYH, who weighed between 530 and 550 depending on how much I was spoiling him. I like the fact she's smaller and daintier with gracile bones, large eyes and a cute tiny beak. Yes, it's a cute beak, but it certainly can dish out trouble.

Give my best to your cute little fellow.

OP
Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy in flight. :)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GvbKXa1glM0"]Kizzy the Baby Amazon Parrot Flying in Slow Motion - YouTube[/ame]

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Thank you for sharing that video! Kizzy is quite the flier, now!

OP
Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
I'm trying to potty-train Kizzy. Yesterday she did really well, flying to the right perch to do her business many times. Today? Two accidents already.

When I put her on the poo-poo perch, I said, "Go poo-poo!" She looked up at me and went, "Poo-poo!"

*facepalm*

That's not what I meant! :D :D :D

adz1984

Dec 4, 2016
Australia
Parrots
Alexandrine (Bella) RB2 (Unammed)
Bought a harness today got it on my galah without any hesistation and took him to the park instantly lol. I swear that bird is a champ afraid of noone or anything.
I then pushed my luck and tried to get it onto my alexandrine and now have bloody fingers :green2:

OP
Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Bought a harness today got it on my galah without any hesistation and took him to the park instantly lol. I swear that bird is a champ afraid of noone or anything.
I then pushed my luck and tried to get it onto my alexandrine and now have bloody fingers :green2:

I've been working on the harness every day. Kizzy is more like your alexandrine than your 'too. :)

OP
Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
I've been busy with Kizzy and my music, so I haven't been on much lately. Here's a video of her talking. It was filmed yesterday. :)

[ame="https://youtu.be/CFwGoFCxpXg"]Seven-month-old Kizzy (Blue-Fronted Amazon) Talking - YouTube[/ame]

OP
Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
She is adorable. I just love BFA’s.

That picture in your signature of Millie as a baby is so precious. She looks a bit like my girl except yours had (has?) more blue on her face. She also has more feminine features than Kizzy with that cute rounded head and teensy little beak. Of course, she might have filled out a bit since that picture. Like Kizzy, she also has big, beautiful eyes. Millie's are bright orange by now. Do you have more recent pictures of her? Against the BFA "mascara," those orange eyes really pop.

I haven't had Kizzy sexed. The breeder seemed pretty confident in his guess, but in the end, it's still just a guess. I also feel she's at the feminine end of the spectrum in looks, but I've been wrong before. When I finally do have Kizzy DNA-sexed, I could very well be surprised. I think I'd have a hard time adapting, even though I've only had her for six months at this point. It seems longer than that because hand-raising and weaning her were so time-intensive.

Kizzy is still a baby, so she requires tons of training and attention. There are days when I think she'll never be harness-trained. I've been working on it every day for four months, which also seems like forever. I've finally resigned myself to the fact that if I want to use "no force" methods, it is going to take quite some time. With a bird like Kizzy, "no force" is the only way to go.

I've only ever seen Alexandrine ringnecks at bird shows. You wouldn't happen to have some videos of your guy talking, playing and simply being a cutie, would you? From testimonials on this forum and other places, I am under the impression they are amazing birds. I'd like to see some video. :)

If you have pics / videos of your birds you'd like to share, thanks in advance.

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
I am just heading off to work now but I will see what I can find and post later this evening. It is only just after 6 am here at the moment so the girls are still in bed.

Millie is 3 years old and has quite the vocabulary and will speak in sentences. Bundii on the other hand is 8 years old and does not talk. Has never said a word in her life. I guess she is one of those birds that don’t talk. ��.

OP
Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
I am just heading off to work now but I will see what I can find and post later this evening. It is only just after 6 am here at the moment so the girls are still in bed.

Millie is 3 years old and has quite the vocabulary and will speak in sentences. Bundii on the other hand is 8 years old and does not talk. Has never said a word in her life. I guess she is one of those birds that don’t talk. ��.

I'm curious about Millie. I'd love to hear her repertoire. During the past week, Kizzy has really started to bloom as a talker. Her words are suddenly much clearer than they were. I bet your baby is from the aestiva subspecies. I had some questions about my own bird, but I would be surprised if she had any aestiva blood. She's a xanthopteryx in every way. :)

I believe the aestiva subspecies is smaller. Kizzy usually hovers between 385 and 410 grams, which isn't all that small. She just looks small to me because I had a male DYH who ranged in weight from 515 to 550 grams. He dropped below 500 during his final illness. :( I'll miss him forever.

Even audio of your BFA would be cool, but I'd like to see what she looks like at three. I'm very curious how much she's changed since her baby picture.

OP
Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
What causes eye shine in Amazon parrots?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0dZaoD96Nc"]Eye Shine in a Diurnal Parrot Species...Why? - YouTube[/ame]

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19

I'm curious about Millie. I'd love to hear her repertoire. During the past week, Kizzy has really started to bloom as a talker. Her words are suddenly much clearer than they were. I bet your baby is from the aestiva subspecies. I had some questions about my own bird, but I would be surprised if she had any aestiva blood. She's a xanthopteryx in every way. :)

I believe the aestiva subspecies is smaller. Kizzy usually hovers between 385 and 410 grams, which isn't all that small. She just looks small to me because I had a male DYH who ranged in weight from 515 to 550 grams. He dropped below 500 during his final illness. :( I'll miss him forever.

Even audio of your BFA would be cool, but I'd like to see what she looks like at three. I'm very curious how much she's changed since her baby picture.

Here is a photo from this morning.

11d46385c1b6a9183951e97fcda3bd1f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions