Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
… and this is where she hid for 20 minutes.

11817233_10153104201353004_3647172937022089342_n.jpg

I got worried after a while, as she is NEVER this calm…. but she soon became her hyper self again. No idea what spooked her still!

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
Im not so sure thats a fear reaction. Hard to say not knowing your bird. Most birds have a nesting instinct and any kind of "hidey hole" can make them similar to that. Anything that remotely resembes a possible nest can make them goofy. I had a cockatiel once that loved to jump in to the dish cabinets. One day she was on the wifes shoulder..then she wasnt. Couldnt find her and wife ask where she flew to. Retracing steps we found her.. sitting quietly inside the freezer. (wife had put ice in her drink). No harm done thankfully. When I make my Amazon a "hidehole" he crawls inside and can get quiet for long spells... or he starts making a noise like someone killing a cat...and of course his sidekick Booger the Sun Conure goes right in there with him.

OP
Kyoto

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
Im not so sure thats a fear reaction. Hard to say not knowing your bird. Most birds have a nesting instinct and any kind of "hidey hole" can make them similar to that. Anything that remotely resembes a possible nest can make them goofy. I had a cockatiel once that loved to jump in to the dish cabinets. One day she was on the wifes shoulder..then she wasnt. Couldnt find her and wife ask where she flew to. Retracing steps we found her.. sitting quietly inside the freezer. (wife had put ice in her drink). No harm done thankfully. When I make my Amazon a "hidehole" he crawls inside and can get quiet for long spells... or he starts making a noise like someone killing a cat...and of course his sidekick Booger the Sun Conure goes right in there with him.

She had freaked out and screeched, flying round the room before she landed on me. That's how I knew she was afraid.

She has a blanket that I make tunnels with and will crawl around in, but she's never sat still like that before :p

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
Ive had mine freak when they saw something that resembled a "snake".. My lil sun freaked when he saw his first stray insect that got in the house. Ive even had them get goofy over something on TV or youtube. My Amazon enjoys watching parrots on youtube... change to a youtube of a big spider and I get hollared at and my ear bit. Very perceptive critters aint they ).

TacoNTiki

May 27, 2015
Calgary, AB, Canada
Parrots
Taco: female cinnamon pearl cockatiel - hatched: ~September 2013, Gotcha date: Nov 29th, 2013
Tiki: Male yellow-sided green cheek conure - hatched April 10th, 2015, Gotcha date May 24, 2015
… and this is where she hid for 20 minutes.

11817233_10153104201353004_3647172937022089342_n.jpg

I got worried after a while, as she is NEVER this calm…. but she soon became her hyper self again. No idea what spooked her still!

That's so adorable, her hiding behind mommy.

On a side note, I have that exact bench jacket in purple as well, what a coincidence.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Kyoto is so adorable! She knows mommy will keep her safe!

I wish Skittles would be more like that sometimes! Usually, his first instinct when he is startled is to protect me. He will screech VERY loudly with his head feathers raised and then fly onto my shoulder and rapidly shake my shirt to get my attention. He's more an 'in your face, bring it on' kind of bird rather than 'Danger! I better run and hide for safety!' when it comes to being afraid. I totally wish he was more like Kyoto in that respect. LOL. I think he gets it from daddy.

But there have been times where I'll try to catch him and he'll race over to his cage jump to the bottom and run into his cuddle hut. He's so funny.

OP
Kyoto

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
Kyoto is so adorable! She knows mommy will keep her safe!

I wish Skittles would be more like that sometimes! Usually, his first instinct when he is startled is to protect me. He will screech VERY loudly with his head feathers raised and then fly onto my shoulder and rapidly shake my shirt to get my attention. He's more an 'in your face, bring it on' kind of bird rather than 'Danger! I better run and hide for safety!' when it comes to being afraid. I totally wish he was more like Kyoto in that respect. LOL. I think he gets it from daddy.

But there have been times where I'll try to catch him and he'll race over to his cage jump to the bottom and run into his cuddle hut. He's so funny.

Actually, that is NORMALLY how she is! That's why I was so giggly about what she was doing :p she's back to her chatty active self today.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Sally does that exact thing sometimes, usually when she doesn't want to interact with someone.

And she pinches me in the ribs if I stay and talk for too long... :D

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
@kyoto Just goes to show, you never know how they are going to react! LOL Yeah, it's when the do the 'unexpected' things that are often the cutest/funniest.

@Birdman666 Skittles does that too, often when he is shaking my shirt, he'll pinch the skin below.

Skittles tends to have a flare for the dramatic which is why I sometimes call him 'my little diva'.

Most Reactions

Latest posts