StephenAndKyleigh

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
Peanut, Yellow Collar Mini Macaw -
Aaliyah, Green Wing Macaw
This little fella is FULL of energy. I mixed in some veggies with his seed and he ate a little little bit of them. I'm going to chop them up a bit more tonight since he is so small and not used to eating food.

chips%201_zps9v0mmz1o.jpg

chips%202_zpsbq61xbuz.jpg

chips%203_zpsyc8lwetv.jpg

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Re: Ladies & Gentleman...Meet Chips!

Wow. Is he even the size of Kyleigh's head? Hahaha! What an odd couple they are going to make!

Looks like you and he are bonding quite well, already!

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
What an adorable little fella he is! Congrats! I think he's going to love his new home!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Chips is so precious Stephen!! Bless you for giving the little guy a loving new home :).

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Soooo cute! Just in case no one has mentioned it... Pbfd, polyoma, and psittacosis can be tested for from your home for less than $20 per test, much cheaper than at the vet where you will already have enough bills. I use avian biotech for this :)

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Also, do we know for sure the mutation? This is one of the most beautiful colors I have ever seen on any bird.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Soooo cute! Just in case no one has mentioned it... Pbfd, polyoma, and psittacosis can be tested for from your home for less than $20 per test, much cheaper than at the vet where you will already have enough bills. I use avian biotech for this :)
Less than $20 per test?!? Really?!? How much blood is needed per test?

OP
StephenAndKyleigh

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
Peanut, Yellow Collar Mini Macaw -
Aaliyah, Green Wing Macaw

How does the test work? This would save tons of money for all of us lol

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
It's dilute blue and some of them turn almost white as they mature. He's adorable. I love that about parrotlets. Like the little Amazons that they are, they just move right past adversity and embrace the new day. You'll enjoy him a lot. My parrotlet with the bad foot (also dilute blue, but also pied, so that he looks like a little blue/white sky) is fully flighted, which really helps his mobility, something that is difficult to manage at times because when he doesn't want to go up, he doesn't HAVE to (they are FAST and can fly up high where you can't reach) but it's worth it for him since he is limited in his perching ability. Your Chips looks like a sweet boy. You really lucked out. :)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots

How does the test work? This would save tons of money for all of us lol
From what I've heard, one of their nails is clipped just a fraction shorter than you usually would, nicking the quick for a few drops of blood. These samples are then sent in.

Chips seems quite taken with you, already! Has he bonded as readily to your wife, too?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Correct. Order the blood veil test kit from Avian BIoTech (kit is free, order a couple in case you mess up) have your bird safely restrained, and clip the nail a tad too short. Take the little tiny tube out of the larger tube and simply touch it to the drop of blood and it will suck it up. It's $19.50 per test, less if you use the same sample for multiple tests. However, Psitacosis (my iPad is refusing to let me spell that word correctly! I don't know why.) has to be done with a vent swab, so you would need to order the swab kit as well. Also free. I rest my flock every 6 months because of the tropical climate and the fact that there are known cases of pbfd and polyoma in my area.

Most Reactions

Latest posts