Large Parrot or Not?

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
The main key with a macaw is not showing a single sign of fear.. If you are a bit afraid, they will know it and you will have a problem! :p haha

Just see how you go with them when you handle them.. It will depend on the individual bird.. Some ARE cuddly, others might not be as much..

When i got Fargo he absolutely hated being touched, seriously, the breeders told me he might not make a great pet because he didn't seem to like interaction.. But now, he is the cuddliest macaw you will ever find ;) haha

Ummmmm, my cage is 185cm x 130cm x 130cm :) It was the largest cage i could find!

He spends most of his time out playing on all his gyms and ropes around my room :p

If you go onto Fargo's Facebook you can see heaps of pics of him :)

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Here are some pics of Fargo's room/cage :) I just turned my room into HIS play area haha <3 Sorry to spam your thread :p

It has all changed around a bit, but you get the idea

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
It's official!

Maggie wants to come over and play... (it's kind of a long flight though.)

Look in the macaw thread under feathered buzz saws...

Most big macs, if you work with them, are cuddly...

If you don't, they get very, very upset and angry!

And umm... your kids and quite possibly your grandkids will inherit this bird, so it really is a lifetime commitment.

Personally I love them to death...

Your tiel might not be as thrilled...

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Here is a link

http://www.parrotforums.com/macaws/46733-feathered-buzz-saws.html

Hey tab, I've been thinking of those cat things for years... some of mine are cliff and hollow tree dwellers. Does Fargo actually go in there, or is it something he never really plays in?

Oh, and add your feathered buzz saw to the thread, (since we all know what a dangerous bird Fargo is!)

I would think those would work like macaw snuggle huts... since you've done the research for me... I figured I'd save some money. Or not.

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
:eek: IT IS FARGO'S FAVOURITE!!!

He loves it more than any of his other trees..

He is the kind that likes to sit on flat things, so he just can roll around on it..

The little tunnels? He sits in :p I will see if i have pics haha

Definitely the best buy :)

I will definitely add pics of Fargo to that thread, I have just been super busy the past week! I am not sure people will be able to handle how dangerous he is though haha ;)

OP
MustLoveAnimals

MustLoveAnimals

Aug 14, 2014
Missouri
Parrots
Female Cinnamon Cockatiel; Arka
~
Female Red Crowned Amazon; Chiba
The main key with a macaw is not showing a single sign of fear.. If you are a bit afraid, they will know it and you will have a problem! :p haha

Just see how you go with them when you handle them.. It will depend on the individual bird.. Some ARE cuddly, others might not be as much..

When i got Fargo he absolutely hated being touched, seriously, the breeders told me he might not make a great pet because he didn't seem to like interaction.. But now, he is the cuddliest macaw you will ever find ;) haha

Ummmmm, my cage is 185cm x 130cm x 130cm :) It was the largest cage i could find!

He spends most of his time out playing on all his gyms and ropes around my room :p

If you go onto Fargo's Facebook you can see heaps of pics of him :)
I'll keep that in mind. ;)
I'm very excited to see how they interact with me. :)

OP
MustLoveAnimals

MustLoveAnimals

Aug 14, 2014
Missouri
Parrots
~
Here are some pics of Fargo's room/cage :) I just turned my room into HIS play area haha <3 Sorry to spam your thread :p

It has all changed around a bit, but you get the idea

That is amazing!
Looks like a great space for him. :)

OP
MustLoveAnimals

MustLoveAnimals

Aug 14, 2014
Missouri
Parrots
~
It's official!

Maggie wants to come over and play... (it's kind of a long flight though.)

Look in the macaw thread under feathered buzz saws...

Most big macs, if you work with them, are cuddly...

If you don't, they get very, very upset and angry!

And umm... your kids and quite possibly your grandkids will inherit this bird, so it really is a lifetime commitment.

Personally I love them to death...

Your tiel might not be as thrilled...
So a macaw will most likely outlive me. That's interesting! I'd have to find a suitable owner before I die. ;)

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
My aunt had a African Grey. It was not a cuddly bird though. It was very smart but stubborn bird. So far it was the best talking bird I have seen in real life. If it did not like something (such as getting mist with water for a bath) I would yell stop and ect and try to bite my aunt. Sadly her ex husband taught the bird to be able to cuss my aunt out so if sometimes would yell profanity at her if it hated something. My aunt has claimed she will never have another bird. I have a mini macaw who is just a macaw in small form. Just as conures are in many ways a macaw in little form. Both conures and Macaws can be playful and learn tricks. Fargo is a great example of this. A lot of bird trick shows have macaws and toos in their show. I honestly more and more feel like a macaw person and would even consider someday a large macaw. I know I have a preference so far to conures and mini macaws.

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
I have considered a conure, and I still am. Could you tell me a bit about them? Bitey, sassy, loud, etc. I'd love to know more

I can say that my sun conure can be bitey and sassy and LOUD. But so can my amazon. My sun is more hands on and loves to be on my shoulder/arm/hand. In my opinion it depends on alot of things...Cisco (sun) was handled and tame before I got him, so he is very easy to handle. Sassy (amazon) was not handled at all or allowed out of her cage by her previous owner, so I have alot of work to do with her. She has come soooo far since I've had her, and she now steps up to me and she is alot easier to handle than she was. She is more independent though and likes to do her own thing more. I think you need to research and look at/handle different birds and see what you like/want. Even birds of the same species have very different personalities. And everything comes into play...their background, previous owner, age, some like women/some like men, have/have not been around other birds/pets, diet, etc. ;)

BTW, Tab...LOVE LOVE LOVE Fargo's room and setup! Awesome!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
:eek: IT IS FARGO'S FAVOURITE!!!

He loves it more than any of his other trees..

He is the kind that likes to sit on flat things, so he just can roll around on it..

The little tunnels? He sits in :p I will see if i have pics haha

Definitely the best buy :)

I will definitely add pics of Fargo to that thread, I have just been super busy the past week! I am not sure people will be able to handle how dangerous he is though haha ;)

I am so glad you posted this, because I've been thinking about doing that for awhile now. My big playstand is now over ten years old, and it's time to redo it soon... So thanks a lot for that information!

Yeah. We know Fargo chases people around the room. (Although like Maggie, he's probably laughing the whole time he's doing it.) I just have a hard time with there being so many that do... Somebody is doing something seriously wrong to create that situation. Cuz even the ones I've had that started out super aggressive ended up being lap birds in short order... So, I really don't get this. (Though something tells me I don't want to know. They DON'T respond well to being ignored, or locked away in cages and forgotten. It's an educated guess... but I am suspecting this is the root of all evil birds.)

OP
MustLoveAnimals

MustLoveAnimals

Aug 14, 2014
Missouri
Parrots
~
My aunt had a African Grey. It was not a cuddly bird though. It was very smart but stubborn bird. So far it was the best talking bird I have seen in real life. If it did not like something (such as getting mist with water for a bath) I would yell stop and ect and try to bite my aunt. Sadly her ex husband taught the bird to be able to cuss my aunt out so if sometimes would yell profanity at her if it hated something. My aunt has claimed she will never have another bird. I have a mini macaw who is just a macaw in small form. Just as conures are in many ways a macaw in little form. Both conures and Macaws can be playful and learn tricks. Fargo is a great example of this. A lot of bird trick shows have macaws and toos in their show. I honestly more and more feel like a macaw person and would even consider someday a large macaw. I know I have a preference so far to conures and mini macaws.
I'm ruling out a Grey. I want a cuddle buddy. :)
I'm thinking about a conure and a hahns macaw. Would you mind telling me more about your hahns?
I'm also keeping a large macaw into consideration.

Last edited:
OP
MustLoveAnimals

MustLoveAnimals

Aug 14, 2014
Missouri
Parrots
~
I have considered a conure, and I still am. Could you tell me a bit about them? Bitey, sassy, loud, etc. I'd love to know more

I can say that my sun conure can be bitey and sassy and LOUD. But so can my amazon. My sun is more hands on and loves to be on my shoulder/arm/hand. In my opinion it depends on alot of things...Cisco (sun) was handled and tame before I got him, so he is very easy to handle. Sassy (amazon) was not handled at all or allowed out of her cage by her previous owner, so I have alot of work to do with her. She has come soooo far since I've had her, and she now steps up to me and she is alot easier to handle than she was. She is more independent though and likes to do her own thing more. I think you need to research and look at/handle different birds and see what you like/want. Even birds of the same species have very different personalities. And everything comes into play...their background, previous owner, age, some like women/some like men, have/have not been around other birds/pets, diet, etc. ;)

BTW, Tab...LOVE LOVE LOVE Fargo's room and setup! Awesome!
Thank you!
That's exactly what I'm going to do.
What is your opinion on adult rescue birds, if they were handled often and friendly? Do you think they'd have a difficult time settling into a new environment?

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Well I didn't get mine from "rescues", but neither one was a baby when I got them. By getting them a little older I didn't have to deal with their "puberty" so that's a plus. Sassy was 12 and Cisco was 5. Cisco was already tame and I can take him out of his cage/put him in his cage whenever, with no problem. He does get a little "moody" at times but not very often. In general, he is a very "easy" bird. He is LOUD at times but not often, but that goes with sun conures generally. I did go visit him and handled him. If I couldn't handle him, I don't think I would have still got him. I already had my "work in progress" bird, Sassy...lol. (although I think all birds are a work in progress) Sassy was sort of a "rescue" but not from a rescue organization. She was not handled at all or allowed out at all (for the last 4 years anyway) while the previous owner had her. He is a disabled vet and could not take care of her (although he did keep his umbrella cockatoo???...sooooo....) Her cage/environment was awful! When I saw her I knew I had to "save" her. In this case, I couldn't handle her before I got her but I knew I would give her a better home. It has been very rewarding seeing how far she's come...still have a long way to go though.

They both settled into their new environment very well. In my opinion, rescues would be a very good option for you. You could go visit the birds and get an idea of their personality, and see different species and decide what is best for you. I know getting a baby would also have it's benefits, but someone else can give you advice/suggestions on that end since mine weren't babies..lol.:eek:

OP
MustLoveAnimals

MustLoveAnimals

Aug 14, 2014
Missouri
Parrots
~
Well I didn't get mine from "rescues", but neither one was a baby when I got them. By getting them a little older I didn't have to deal with their "puberty" so that's a plus. Sassy was 12 and Cisco was 5. Cisco was already tame and I can take him out of his cage/put him in his cage whenever, with no problem. He does get a little "moody" at times but not very often. In general, he is a very "easy" bird. He is LOUD at times but not often, but that goes with sun conures generally. I did go visit him and handled him. If I couldn't handle him, I don't think I would have still got him. I already had my "work in progress" bird, Sassy...lol. (although I think all birds are a work in progress) Sassy was sort of a "rescue" but not from a rescue organization. She was not handled at all or allowed out at all (for the last 4 years anyway) while the previous owner had her. He is a disabled vet and could not take care of her (although he did keep his umbrella cockatoo???...sooooo....) Her cage/environment was awful! When I saw her I knew I had to "save" her. In this case, I couldn't handle her before I got her but I knew I would give her a better home. It has been very rewarding seeing how far she's come...still have a long way to go though.

They both settled into their new environment very well. In my opinion, rescues would be a very good option for you. You could go visit the birds and get an idea of their personality, and see different species and decide what is best for you. I know getting a baby would also have it's benefits, but someone else can give you advice/suggestions on that end since mine weren't babies..lol.:eek:
Thank you! :)
Yes, I am very excited to see these birds for myself. And I've always liked the idea of rescuing. That may be the way to go. :D

OP
MustLoveAnimals

MustLoveAnimals

Aug 14, 2014
Missouri
Parrots
~
What about a Cockatoo? (Umbrella or other)
Someone suggested one to me, as a cuddle companion.
Any thoughts/opinions?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
what about a cockatoo? (umbrella or other)
someone suggested one to me, as a cuddle companion.
Any thoughts/opinions?

just one:

You are out of your mind!!!

http://www.parrotforums.com/cockato...-umbrella-cockatoos-bit-over-exaggerated.html

An RB2 might be something you would be interested in, but I would really, really, really encourage you to stay away from the needy 3 - M2, U2 & Tritons.

I can almost guarantee you would be in over your head. These birds are tremendously needy... and if you don't raise them properly, you create a monster. There is just SOOO much to raising a large too!

Last edited:
OP
MustLoveAnimals

MustLoveAnimals

Aug 14, 2014
Missouri
Parrots
~
what about a cockatoo? (umbrella or other)
someone suggested one to me, as a cuddle companion.
Any thoughts/opinions?

just one:

You are out of your mind!!!

http://www.parrotforums.com/cockato...-umbrella-cockatoos-bit-over-exaggerated.html

An RB2 might be something you would be interested in, but I would really, really, really encourage you to stay away from the needy 3 - M2, U2 & Tritons.

I can almost guarantee you would be in over your head. These birds are tremendously needy... and if you don't raise them properly, you create a monster. There is just SOOO much to raising a large too!
Holy cow! I would have never thought...I'll just take your word for it and stay away from them. Lol.

OP
MustLoveAnimals

MustLoveAnimals

Aug 14, 2014
Missouri
Parrots
~
The more I learn about Macaws (Blue & Gold and Greenwing), the more I feel drawn to them..... I really can't wait till I can meet and interact with some. And I'd love to hear more stories about them.

Most Reactions

Latest posts